• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Update: Calvin to pick between Nebraska and Washington State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both good posts. Perhaps Diaco was brought in to be groomed as the HC in waiting as we are going to the 3 - 4. I feel pretty confident that we are on the correct path back to relevance and playing for Championships.

That's what we do best; jump to conclusions with assumptions that have no support.

If Diaco is really successful it's more likely hel'll move on to another HC job before Riley retires.

I doubt that it's a HC in waiting thing, which I hate fwiw. I just would think that if MR is successful here it will be largely due to him bringing a great staff together and therefore have a natural progression when he retires.

I doubt that it's a HC in waiting thing, which I hate fwiw. I just would think that if MR is successful here it will be largely due to him bringing a great staff together and therefore have a natural progression when he retires.
Just a speculation on my part, but you never know. Chances are good that if we succeed over the next 4 - 5 years, and Riley doesn't retire, then it's more than possible Diaco gets a HC gig somewhere. It's fun to speculate though.

That's what we do best; jump to conclusions with assumptions that have no support.

If Diaco is really successful it's more likely hel'll move on to another HC job before Riley retires.
Well if that's the case there won't be a reason for Riley to retire what with all the success. :nod:

Just a speculation on my part, but you never know. Chances are good that if we succeed over the next 4 - 5 years, and Riley doesn't retire, then it's more than possible Diaco gets a HC gig somewhere. It's fun to speculate though.

Agree on Diaco. I suspect what you see with him is if the defense looks like it's on the right track this year that he gets an extension likely at the end of every year so he always has the 2 years. Who knows man, maybe he's fine with being a coordinator after his experience as a HC, it won't necessarily be a money issue making almost 1mil per year.

Agree on Diaco. I suspect what you see with him is if the defense looks like it's on the right track this year that he gets an extension likely at the end of every year so he always has the 2 years. Who knows man, maybe he's fine with being a coordinator after his experience as a HC, it won't necessarily be a money issue making almost 1mil per year.
I'd guess folks won't come after him hard and heavy even with success at NU. They'll pause a bit more so than usual with his rein at UCONN still fairly fresh. Just me though, but that UCONN experience should help NU hang on to him if he's successful.

Agree 100%, and with extensions come raises. It's quite conceivable that with a return of Blackshirt dominance, BD's wages top 1 mill quickly. I think Bob will be quite comfortable, it's his dream job, head puppeteer of the vaunted Blackshirt defense. GBR

Agree 100%, and with extensions come raises. It's quite conceivable that with a return of Blackshirt dominance, BD's wages top 1 mill quickly. I think Bob will be quite comfortable, it's his dream job, head puppeteer of the vaunted Blackshirt defense. GBR
Okay, you might be right, but Diaco has been a HC. It's more likely he'll want to try again.

Have you ever said anything positive?

I agree that at some point there needs to be some continuity. As for Riley, it's imperative that we're patient with him for another 4 or 5 years, unless the wheels come off in Callahanian style. I don't see that happening. As for his tenure as coach, if he gets this thing up and running I can see him coaching for another 10 years and if it's running really well then he'd have a staff full of good candidates in place to take over.
Couldn't of said it better. Great post IMPO.GBR

For the mi
You may want to go back and look at where PSUs classes finished. You may be correct about both MSU and Wisky, but their systems have not changed for at least a decade. That was how we did it too. It's not how we do it now. Unless we're willing to stay the course and allow Riley to continue to refine and build for the next four or five years, at least, it won't happen. BTW, this was why I had reservations about hiring a guy in his sixties. Eventually he's going to retire and we have to start all over again.

Barry Alvarez took nine years to build a consistent winner and still had a losing season after that. Dantoni took four years and has had a losing season since. Both had a consistent plan that has not altered.

We lost our way when we started to jettison winners for not winning enough.
For the millionth time there was more to the last firing then straight wins and losses. Not going to completely rehash it for your daily troll. go read the other 10,000 threads on the football board. this is the recruiting board. What do you think our chances are with THIS recruit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back