• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A new brain injury lawsuit could be the undoing of college football as we know it

It's a dangerous sport. Always has been. That does not mean it is destined for the scrap heap.

The vast majority of players capable of playing in the NFL will continue to accept the health risk, even if that means signing an agreement that severely limits their ability to file claims against the NFL in the future. I do think CTE will continue to shape the game through rules and equipment changes, but doubt highly it will bring about the end of college or NFL football in my lifetime.
Also do not forget that the biggest areas for recruiting tend to be depressed areas economically. Many of these kids would have no other opportunities to get to college. So ask yourself this. If your only way out of poverty for you and your family is to shorten your life. Would you do it. Those of us who have never lived in poverty may say no. People who have to worry about where their next meal comes from, may be willing to take that chance. Either way by college it is their choice.

Also do not forget that the biggest areas for recruiting tend to be depressed areas economically. Many of these kids would have no other opportunities to get to college. So ask yourself this. If your only way out of poverty for you and your family is to shorten your life. Would you do it. Those of us who have never lived in poverty may say no. People who have to worry about where their next meal comes from, may be willing to take that chance. Either way by college it is their choice.

A similar financial decision is still made by people choosing to enter certain parts of the construction,logging, mining and petroleum industries on a daily basis. Provide well for your families and accept the inherent risks. Lawsuits will still happen in the NFL as they do in those industries, but not to the point it dissolves the sport. Despite the best intentions of the bodies that govern safety in those industries, people can and do die almost daily, yet the higher compensation when compared to other blue collar jobs make the risk something many are still willing to accept.

Joncarl....are you going to give your 6 year old son a pack of cigarettes to smoke....or a syringe with heroin to shoot? The analogy is false. It is becoming clear that to put your child into a full contact football program, is to expose them to injurious brain damage. The longer they play.....the more the brain is damaged.....

Facts are stubborn things...;)

We can chose to 'ignore' them.....ok.

But the fact are not going away..... the lawyers are not going away....the CTE researcher is not going away.... the growing groundswell of parents declining to put their child in football will only increase.... and the coming massive insurance costs to organize and facilitate a youth/school football league are not going away.

Do I hope this happens? Of course not....but its going to. (and for the sake of the CTE facts)...it has to. So, 'change the game...or end the game' will soon become the reality of the day...

JMO.

Why is there youth boxing? Why are we not suing the parents of the kids that play, I guess my point is that we know a lot of things are bad yet the parents still let the kids play, the adults play knowing full well the consequences and yet they still find someone to sue. Take responsibility for your own actions.

It is not that I don't agree with you but I am just tired of people blaming everyone else for their own choices when they dang well know what could happen.

Last edited:
Why is there youth boxing? Why are we not suing the parents of the kids that play, I guess my point is that we know a lot of things are bad yet the parents still let the kids play, the adults play knowing full well the consequences and yet they still find someone to sue. Take responsibility for your own actions.

It is not that I don't agree with you but I am just tired of people blaming everyone else for their own choices when they dang well not what could happen.
Don't forget martial arts.

If you tested 100 smokers that smoked a particular brand of cigarettes/(NFL) and 98% had cancer..... I would say that if you test 1000 in the same way....98% will have cancer.

That’s not how statics, samples, and control groups work, so you are incorrect.

I do not know the selection criteria.

Let me get this straight....you’re condescendingly telling me google is my friend while touting a study with which you have not familiarized yourself? Man, I should know better

I'll bet that had you actually READ the study and the sources for the data, you WOULD know the selection criteria, as opposed to just posting memes you got from your facebook feed.

What is it about you that you simply cannot keep from going personal ?
That’s not how statics, samples, and control groups work, so you are incorrect.

Let me get this straight....you’re condescendingly telling me google is my friend while touting a study with which you have not familiarized yourself? Man, I should know better

There was no condescending.....just the encouragement to search for data on your own..... did you? Or are you just another 'got ya' type poster who is only interested in a argument to keep you entertained for a while....or to help you feel superior?

Not into that my self.... just thought this is a very important subject and enjoy those who take time to comment on the OP.....

Not much use for guy who just want to find fault.

How am I being personal?
when this forum was still Huskerpedia it had a better class of people. Now so many snowflakes. Don't sprain a wrist keeping yourself elevated.

What is it about you that you cannot be honest?

Did you actually read the study, or did you just post memes about it?

Why do you keep posting false/misleading claims in reference to the "facts"?

Last edited:

There was no condescending.....just the encouragement to search for data on your own..... did you? Or are you just another 'got ya' type poster who is only interested in a argument to keep you entertained for a while....or to help you feel superior?

Not into that my self.... just thought this is a very important subject and enjoy those who take time to comment on the OP.....

Not much use for guy who just want to find fault.
I have commented on the OP multiple times and have also countered your incomplete Frontline report, as have others, multiple times. Why do you keep calling me a ‘got ya’ or ‘gotcha’ poster in response to this? It’s not playing gotcha to point out the flaws in a study being used in this thread to support the lawsuit in the OP. It’s a bit irresponsible to ignore said flaws IMHO.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back