• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2018 World Cup

Senegal upsetting Poland finishes the first set of matches for each group. Best result from the first set of matches? I'd have to go with Mexico over Germany, since it gives Mexico a huge advantage in winning the group. The Pot 1 team that doesn't make it out of the group stage? Poland (possibly Argentina). Poland looked very unimpressive today. Had a bit of bad luck, but you have to get something out of the most winnable match in your group. I'm really interested to see how the 2nd set of matches in Group D turn out. Argentina has to be feeling some pressure after the draw with Iceland, and Iceland will have a full day to process the Argentina/Croatia results before its match with Nigeria. Current group leader that will not advance to the 2nd round? Iran, but that's not really too bold of a prediction. Golden Boot winner? Lukaku. Dude was a beast against Panama, and should have his way with Tunisia. Ronaldo will probably have more group stage goals, but Belgium has what it takes to advance further in the tournament.

Very nice analysis. Going to fun to see how this plays out. England showed me enough that I am hopeful. Panama up next for them

Of the heavy weiights Spain has been the least impressive thus far

Agree. Spain looked very "meh" today. Scored off a crap deflection, and Iran had the better chances overall. Certainly beatable in the knockout rounds.

Really looking forward to that Argentina/Croatia match tomorrow. Argentina has to win. A draw probably won't do them much good.

Argentina. Yikes. That's a dumpster fire. Almost no ability to create chances. Only a Nigeria/Iceland draw will save them now. IMO, Peru might be one of the most talented teams to never collect a single point at a WC. They looked really dangerous in the first match against Denmark, and held their own against France. Just couldn't figure out a way to capitalize on any chances. Croatia looked really good today, and will be a tough draw for any team deep in the knockout rounds.

Brazil looked very "meh" against Switzerland, so hopefully Costa Rica can figure out a way to get a point tomorrow. I'm sure that game will get chippy, especially if it's close in the 2nd half. Brazil will be desperate to win all 3 points, and CR will no doubt try to drag the match down to CONCACAF levels. Should be interesting.

Argentina. Yikes. That's a dumpster fire. Almost no ability to create chances. Only a Nigeria/Iceland draw will save them now. IMO, Peru might be one of the most talented teams to never collect a single point at a WC. They looked really dangerous in the first match against Denmark, and held their own against France. Just couldn't figure out a way to capitalize on any chances. Croatia looked really good today, and will be a tough draw for any team deep in the knockout rounds.

Brazil looked very "meh" against Switzerland, so hopefully Costa Rica can figure out a way to get a point tomorrow. I'm sure that game will get chippy, especially if it's close in the 2nd half. Brazil will be desperate to win all 3 points, and CR will no doubt try to drag the match down to CONCACAF levels. Should be interesting.

This Argentina team is beyond their shelf life with the likes of Messi. Not really surprised after watching their first match.

I am starting to feel good about a young England team

You have to wonder what a decent USA team might have done here this time around.

Honestly have not seen a great team yet

Last edited:

I hate watching Brazil, so much talent but they rarely play as a team. When they do they are formidable. They would rather look pretty and show off their ball handling skills than winning the match by playing together.

They need a German coach. :Biggrin:

Right now I like Croatia and France.

This Argentina is beyond their shkf life with the likes of Messi. Not really surprised after watching their first match.

I am starting to feel good about a young England team

You have to wonder what a decent USA team might have done here this time around.

Honestly have not seen a great team yet

I agree. Huge missed opportunity.

No doubt, the US world cup qualifying went like it always does. They play poorly to average through out the coarse of it and barely qualify, except this time they didn't.

I have to disagree barley qualify on the norm. Usually we qualify with little doubt.

I hate watching Brazil, so much talent but they rarely play as a team. When they do they are formidable. They would rather look pretty and show off their ball handling skills than winning the match by playing together.

They need a German coach. :Biggrin:

Right now I like Croatia and France.

Until a couple of cups ago they always played as a team which is what made them great. I think the big contracts stoked the egos and they turned into a team of its all about me which is a shame.

I have to disagree barley qualify on the norm. Usually we qualify with little doubt.

I don't keep a huge track of it, but it always seems like it comes down to we have to win or get a draw in the last couple of games. It was close in 2014 if I remember correctly.

The bigger point is that the US should always easily qualify for the finals, and they didn't.

I don't keep a huge track of it, but it always seems like it comes down to we have to win or get a draw in the last couple of games. It was close in 2014 if I remember correctly.

The bigger point is that the US should always easily qualify for the finals, and they didn't.

Oh trust me I was outspoken and then some about our qualifying cycle this past year and not qualifying on this very forum.

Normally we cruise into the World Cup.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back