• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2018 World Cup

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Begins tomorrow from Russia

Was Looking last night at who qualified and who did not (I.e. Holland, Italy and the United States) and honestly the haves and have not could not be more pronounced this time around.

Of course I will be rooting for England who comes into the competition on a ten game unbeaten streak. With that being seen they will be fielding a very young team and an untested manager in former England great Gareth Southgate. They get to open against Tunsia and the Group they are is favorable for them to advance to the knockout rounds. With that being said despite the ten game stretch a lot of un- knowns still to be answered about this England squad. Should be fun and I am looking forward to their opening match on Monday vs Tunisia. Will also be looking at and following Mexico too.

Good news on the 2026 World Cup as the Mexico-USA-Canada alliance is awarded the competition. Now with that being said, US Soccer has got to fix its internal issues oh and hire a head coach into a vacancy that has sat open for eight months. In addition hiring Gulati's deputy who likewise has no background in the sport was and is another huge mistake. Finally the USA missing this cycle with many young players starting to come into their career prime is a huge loss too. Who ever gets the managers job is going to have to navigate this and a lot of other issues to steer the ship back to relevancy again.

With all of this mind looking forward to the next three of the best football on the World stage,

Very excited with the 2026 WC vote this morning. Looking forward to Kansas City being a possible host for some games.

Not sure who to root for over the next few weeks. Iceland is the nice Cinderella story, but their ceiling is probably a round of 16 appearance. I like Belgium, but they seem like the trendy pick for anyone who doesn't want to go with the usual suspects. As much as it pains me to say it, but I hope Mexico has a good showing. I won't be actively rooting for El Tri, but it'll be disappointment if they stumble in the group stage, and can't advance. They'd likely face Brazil the 2nd round. It'll be interesting to see how England deals with Panama, @Red Reign because I'm sure Panama will go full CONCACAF in that match trying to bleed out one point and give themselves a chance going into the final group match. If I had to choose a champion right now, I'd go with Germany. Winnable group, easy round of 16 opponent (Swiss, Costa Rica or Serbia), then the winner of a likely Poland/England match in the quarterfinals. Meet Argentina/Spain/Portugal in the semis, then either Brazil or Belgium in the finals.

Russia is generally thought of as a poor team and they beat Saudia Arabia 5-0 to open the cup. How bad are the Saudi's? :Biggrin:

In other news and you can not make this up the Spanish fired their coach because he agreed to take over Real Madrid in the up coming season. Pure insanity on their part.

Couple of really good games end in draws. A Ronaldo hat trick sees Portugal end in a three all draw with Spain. That Whicked free kick goal that tied it up by Ronaldo late in the game was world class and breathtaking

Iceland pulling a major upset so to speak with a one all draw with Argentina this AM. They defended their butts off. Remind me a lot of New Zealand when they had their run awhile back

Mexico v Germany underway. El Tri nearly scored in the first minute. Should have had it.

Nearly scores again a minute or so later

Mexican speed and counters are taxing Germany to their limit. El Tri has played outstanding thud far in the first 30 minutes. Germany was not expecting this and has yet to wake up

Last edited:
Contre and speed finally nets a goal for Mexico who lead 1-0 in minute 35. Most well deserved as they have been the better team by far

Germany limping into half time in need of a break to hopefully stop the Mexico momentum

Hernandez and Vela have been stout as has Ocha in goal

Mexico could not have dreamed of a better half. Somewhere Mexican great Blanco is smiling

El Tri 1 Germany 0 at Half

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back