• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2017 Aguek Arop parting ways with Nebraska

I think it's clear that the mistake was made in offering a freshman. Thinking or hoping or expecting him to develop is a taking a bit of a flyer...sure miles did what he had to do...after making a mistake he didn't need to make.

Every year Sadler was here he had someone from Nebraska on the roster. This is the first time I can remember that there is no Nebraska player represented on its states basketball team.

Walk-ons, Sadler and Miles have both had several years with guys like Fox, Menke, Peltz, Ritchie, Tyrance, Beranek, Krenk. Most of these guys were practice fodder. The couple of players instate that were scholarship either were benchwarmers or left like Biggs. If we pick up a walkon, is that really the issue? We need someone from the state on the roster? I'm more disappointed the state isn't producing some better talent. We get ticked when a guy goes to Louisville, Texas or even Iowa but the reality is those are far high profile programs. And it's hard to argue that even the ones we lost to Creighton weren't looking at playing for a more successful program, at what amounts to a basketball only school, with great fan support, nice facilities and now playing in the same league as the National Champion.

I think it's clear that the mistake was made in offering a freshman. Thinking or hoping or expecting him to develop is a taking a bit of a flyer...sure miles did what he had to do...after making a mistake he didn't need to make.
It's a Catch 22. If he doesn't offer early he'll hear about that, if he does and the kid doesn't develop, he'll hear about that. I'd much rather he'd been patient, but after losing on a local just prior to Arop, I think he was trying to not let that happen again.

How pathetic is this room that one of the longest threads is about a player that will never play for the Huskers and how some think it is somehow a defining piece in Miles legacy at Nebraska. An early pull of the trigger for this type of player? Most definitely. A big deal in the long run? Nope.

I like the way the team is forming up for the most part. I think we have talented players and I can't wait to see them develop. If we continue to struggle with this team the next couple of years, the Miles experiment might prove to be a mistake. But I think we will do well. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Walk-ons, Sadler and Miles have both had several years with guys like Fox, Menke, Peltz, Ritchie, Tyrance, Beranek, Krenk. Most of these guys were practice fodder. The couple of players instate that were scholarship either were benchwarmers or left like Biggs. If we pick up a walkon, is that really the issue? We need someone from the state on the roster? I'm more disappointed the state isn't producing some better talent. We get ticked when a guy goes to Louisville, Texas or even Iowa but the reality is those are far high profile programs. And it's hard to argue that even the ones we lost to Creighton weren't looking at playing for a more successful program, at what amounts to a basketball only school, with great fan support, nice facilities and now playing in the same league as the National Champion.
What I was saying is this is the first time ever there is not a kid from Nebraska on the roster in any capacity. It's sad. I wouldn't say it matters from a production standpoint, it lets me know what the perception in-state is currently.

So ya, it matters.

Last edited:
How pathetic is this room that one of the longest threads is about a player that will never play for the Huskers and how some think it is somehow a defining piece in Miles legacy at Nebraska. An early pull of the trigger for this type of player? Most definitely. A big deal in the long run? Nope.

I like the way the team is forming up for the most part. I think we have talented players and I can't wait to see them develop. If we continue to struggle with this team the next couple of years, the Miles experiment might prove to be a mistake. But I think we will do well. Time will tell.
It was our only recruit for 2017 while Crayton sits on a top 10 class currently for 2017. That's the Nebraska basketball news we have right now, and the situation was handled poorly. This thread would be 20 pages if it was a football recruit from Omaha that Riley did it to.

It was our only recruit for 2017 while Crayton sits on a top 10 class currently for 2017. That's the Nebraska basketball news we have right now, and the situation was handled poorly. This thread would be 20 pages if it was a football recruit from Omaha that Riley did it to.
Creighton's top 10 class is about Creighton and not about us. They should be out-recruiting us as they have been a much better team than Nebraska for quite some time now. Nebraska is a crap program that has never been anything in college basketball. We are a football school and that is why a similar thread would go longer. The biggest similarity between the two is that it seems personal opinions of Miles are overshadowing anything else so little things get blown out of proportion. When the 2017 class is finalized, then I will worry about how poorly we did.

Creighton's top 10 class is about Creighton and not about us. They should be out-recruiting us as they have been a much better team than Nebraska for quite some time now. Nebraska is a crap program that has never been anything in college basketball. We are a football school and that is why a similar thread would go longer. The biggest similarity between the two is that it seems personal opinions of Miles are overshadowing anything else so little things get blown out of proportion. When the 2017 class is finalized, then I will worry about how poorly we did.
I'm not sure I see anyone saying the 2017 class will be poor, in fact I think everyone here is saying it will be better off without Arop. My personal opinion of Miles has been formed after his four seasons here, panicking after not knowing who Patton was, offering a freshman and telling him he needs to stay strong if people ask "why Nebraska", then taking back his commitment to the kid because he made a mistake, then seeing a group text of some of the best players in Nebraskas high school ranks giving an "F those guys" after hearing what they did to Arop, then hearing a metro coach from the state champions say Nebraska is full of it on the radio.

Miles has recruited well here, and done some good things. Nebraska is a crap program that has never done anything, you are right. I don't think we need to can him or anything of that nature. But I called this a reach from the very instant it happened, I have no idea what Miles was doing here. Call it patting myself on the back if you want, but I actually think it's an indication of how little of a relationship he has with the coaches in the state because they would have told him to hold off.

http://forum.huskermax.com/index.php?threads/arop-clan.63977/

Last edited:

It's getting a little late for 2017 but yeah...it's not over yet.

I think some people are being a bit overdramatic over this whole ordeal. Truth probably lies somewhere in between the two sides. I don't think the outcome of Arop would have changed Miles' tenure here either way. The tenure of Tim Miles is 100% tied to the 2015 and 2016 recruiting classes.

So the worst that may have happened is that he pissed off a few egos in the Omaha basketball circles and may lose the Papillion kid. I won't say that isn't a big deal, but it's not insurmountable. Go to Chicago, Kansas City, or St. Louis and replace a kid or two that you *may* have lost over this. There are absolutely zero kids currently in the metro that are are going to make or break the program.

I think some people are being a bit overdramatic over this whole ordeal. Truth probably lies somewhere in between the two sides. I don't think the outcome of Arop would have changed Miles' tenure here either way. The tenure of Tim Miles is 100% tied to the 2015 and 2016 recruiting classes.

So the worst that may have happened is that he pissed off a few egos in the Omaha basketball circles and may lose the Papillion kid. I won't say that isn't a big deal, but it's not insurmountable. Go to Chicago, Kansas City, or St. Louis and replace a kid or two that you *may* have lost over this. There are absolutely zero kids currently in the metro that are are going to make or break the program.
Exactly where I went with a previous post. Miles is either clicking on all cylinders and grabbing more Morrow's, Watson's, or Jacobsen's before anyone in the metro or Nebraska can contribute, or he is canned.

I don't think anyone is being overdramatic, he just screwed over a kid that was loyal to him and didn't talk to other college coaches. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Exactly where I went with a previous post. Miles is either clicking on all cylinders and grabbing more Morrow's, Watson's, or Jacobsen's before anyone in the metro or Nebraska can contribute, or he is canned.

I don't think anyone is being overdramatic, he just screwed over a kid that was loyal to him and didn't talk to other college coaches. It is what it is.

I wasn't necessarily talking about anyone on this board, more the local sports radio call-in types. Yeah, I definately agree with you. What do you put the odds at that Miles makes it past the next two seasons?

I wasn't necessarily talking about anyone on this board, more the local sports radio call-in types. Yeah, I definately agree with you. What do you put the odds at that Miles makes it past the next two seasons?
You know, i'm not real sure. I'm not a Nick Bahe fan but he brought up a great point, you can be missing a dominant big man or some outside shooters, but you can't be missing both. I think that's where we are. We have good talent on the roster in terms of recruiting stars, but do they mesh together? He loses a player or a coach, or both, every season.

I'm where someone else said earlier in that I don't expect much from Husker basketball. But mistakes like these where an amateur basketball guy saw it two years ago are happening, what's the real issue?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back