• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

11-1. Here's how we get there next year.

Seems to me there's little basis for predicting we're favored in 11 games except that persistent sense of entitlement (call it optimism, if you prefer) that pervades most Husker fans when predicting wins and losses.
Well this is where I disagree with you. There is a lot of basis for predicting we will be favored in 11 games as long as we win the games we are favored in. Now I'm not saying we will. I only gave a reasonable path to it based on our schedule and that of others. If we don't stumble at Colorado, I doubt that we will play a game all year where the opponent has a better record than us.

Well this is where I disagree with you. There is a lot of basis for predicting we will be favored in 11 games as long as we win the games we are favored in. Now I'm not saying we will. I only gave a reasonable path to it based on our schedule and that of others. If we don't stumble at Colorado, I doubt that we will play a game all year where the opponent has a better record than us.
I hope you're right. It remains to be seen how well some of those other teams are playing at the time they are on our schedule. I'm less worried about Colorado than just about everyone else in the conference.

IMO you hit the nail on the head.

Too many questions on defense. I think we flip our win/loss record from last season and go 8-4.
I think defense is where we see the biggest improvement next year. Next years players will be the first time in their collage careers that they will have played with the same coaches and schemes for 2 years in a row. I think that will have a noticeable difference.

IMO you hit the nail on the head.

Too many questions on defense. I think we flip our win/loss record from last season and go 8-4.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/carri...cle_a53ba7d3-61f5-5cff-9a8f-d484c4e8e68d.html

Agree. 8-4 would be more likely IMO. After what we observed our DL not do against Iowa [See HCSF comments in attached link] not sure who but we need a couple difference makers on the DL or LB. We will have the offense to score points but our D is questionable and will likely have too many points scored against them.

So Wisky plays Iowa twice but Iowa only plays Wisky once? JK

Pretty good list. The one thing that keeps nagging in my head is tOSU. Who really knows what they will look like next year? Yeah they are talented. Coaching and buy in? Who knows? I think there are a few in there that will be tough wins. NoIll, NWU, Indy. All could be tough outs.

And Purdue and Minn.................

Actually I can see us going 11-1 next year and 1/2 of the board saying it was due to a favorable schedule and we will be worse in 2020...at this point it does appear we are 1. On the upswing and 2., have a favorable schedule

I think defense is where we see the biggest improvement next year. Next years players will be the first time in their collage careers that they will have played with the same coaches and schemes for 2 years in a row. I think that will have a noticeable difference.

I don't disagree with this at all, but as was mentioned by @Twelve String, I think that helps flip with win loss record to 8-4 rather than double digit wins. I'd love to be wrong, just like I wish I was wrong about 2018 and the 10 win predictors were correct. Too much to do to get this team into double digits in the regular season in '19, IMO.

That would be an unbelievable season, it would mean all but one of these things happened:

1 - Beat the #1 team in the nation per 247s "team talent ranking" index
2 - Snapped a 6 game losing streak to Wisconsin and beat them for only the second time since joining the B1G
3 - Snapped a 4 game losing streak to Iowa
4 - Did not lose to any team we "should beat" for the first time in a decade

Honestly, if we get to 10-2 that is a wildly successful season. But I'll take optimism any day of the week.

That would be an unbelievable season, it would mean all but one of these things happened:

1 - Beat the #1 team in the nation per 247s "team talent ranking" index
2 - Snapped a 6 game losing streak to Wisconsin and beat them for only the second time since joining the B1G
3 - Snapped a 4 game losing streak to Iowa
4 - Did not lose to any team we "should beat" for the first time in a decade

Honestly, if we get to 10-2 that is a wildly successful season. But I'll take optimism any day of the week.
I think the order of possibility for these things is 3, 2, 4, 1. In other words 3 is IMHO likely, 2 is very possible, 4 is possible but not likely and 1 is unlikely.

Love this time of the year. All things are possible. For example, if you assume we will be favored in all of our games, all we have to do is win the games in which we are favored. Wonderful! Wonder what Vegas is saying at this point. Probably nothing.

11-1? It would be great, but I think you live in South Park’s Imagination-land. I live in a reality in which the Huskers have virtually the same mediocre defense that couldn’t slow down even the avg offenses in the B1G. I don’t see the difference makers yet that we need to consistently stop offenses. Once we get the incoming FR up to speed and more time, I think it will be better. I still think we are looking at 2020 for the Huskers to get to a 9-11 win season. Hope springs eternal though. Our offense can play with any team which is a big improvement.

Even with all of the improvement shown during the second half of the season, our defense still had difficulty getting a stop when the game was on the line. Fourth quarter defensive breakdowns cost us the Colorado, Northwestern, Ohio State, and Iowa games. We gave up an embarrassing amount of points to Illinois.

That mediocre defense is graduating Akinmoladun, Stoltenberg, Reed, Aaron Williams, Gifford and Tre Neal.

I love our offense and where it's headed. Our schedule is definitely 10X more favorable than it was last year. The culture, confidence and mindset of the team is light years ahead of where it was this time last year.

But unless and until our defense can start showing real improvement, particularly in the fourth quarter when the game is on the line, predictions of a one loss season are really premature. I just don't know if we have the talent and depth on defense yet for us to have that kind of a one-year turnaround.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back