• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

11-1. Here's how we get there next year.

[1] S. Alabama [WIN] - New HC in 2018; went with a LOT of young guys and 2019 won't be much better.

[2] AT Colorado [?] - New HC is defense first guy. Not sure what to expect; after the #1 guys, the depth chart has issues.

[3] N. Illinois [WIN] - NIU looked like a flaming ball of crap in their bowl game but return a lot of depth in '19.

[4] AT Illinois [WIN] - Problems from admin to coaches to roster.

[5] Ohio St [?] - Hopefully Nebraska has some momentum coming into this game.

[6] Northwestern [?] - Fitzgerald knows how to deal with adversity and win. 5-star Clemson transfer H. Johnson steps in for Thorson at QB but they lose 4 other starters on O and 5 more on D.

[7] AT Minnesota [?] - Young roster with confidence after beating Wisconsin; let's see how they do in their bowl game. Offense (2-deep) has 17 of 22 FR and SO.

[8] BYE #1 - Definitely need the break.

[9] Indiana [W] - Scrappy team trying to figure things out but too many issues.

[10] AT Purdue [?] - J. Brohm is back; QB Blough is gone but Sindelar is just as good (if his knee holds up) and R. Moore is lightning.

[11] BYE #2 - Good break for the final 3-game stretch.

[12] Wisconsin [?] - Chryst's QB picture is murky. The D loses some guys as does the OL.

[13] AT Maryland [?] - M. Locksley, new HC from Alabama (OC) is a crapshoot. HC experience is N. Mexico (2-26) and Maryland (1-5).

[14] Iowa [W] - If Nebraska is healthy and 2-0 after the break, they will right the ship.

Seems to me there's little basis for predicting we're favored in 11 games except that persistent sense of entitlement (call it optimism, if you prefer) that pervades most Husker fans when predicting wins and losses.
I kind of think that's a universal impulse among football fans, or even among everyone about everything, really. I do it all the time.

You look at your weaknesses and make a plan to get better (this new recruit will be great, this coach will finally figure out a scheme, the weight training will really take off, etc.), then you assume (1) all the good stuff you hope for will happen and none of the bad stuff will happen, and (2) you underestimate how much every other team is also getting better and developing in their own ways.

It's just optimism. I think we all have it because it's a valuable trait from an evolutionary perspective. Cave men had to be optimistic that when they left the cave they would kill a rabbit and not be killed by a tiger. Otherwise they would have huddled in their cave and starved.

And if they wouldn't go out and get a rabbit, they could forget about procreating with Mrs. Cave Woman. That just ain't happenin'. So only the optimistic passed on their genes.

Last edited:
I kind of think that's a universal impulse among football fans, or even among everyone about everything, really. I do it all the time.

You look at your weaknesses and make a plan to get better (this new recruit will be great, this coach will finally figure out a scheme, the weight training will really take off, etc.), then you assume (1) all the good stuff you hope for will happen and none of the bad stuff will happen, and (2) you underestimate how much every other team is also getting better and developing in their own ways.

It's just optimism. I think we all have it because it's a valuable trait from an evolutionary perspective. Cave men had to be optimistic that when they left the cave they would kill a rabbit and not be killed by a tiger. Otherwise they would have huddled in their cave and starved.

And if they wouldn't go out and get a rabbit, they could forget about procreating with Mrs. Cave Woman. That just ain't happenin'. So only the optimistic passed on their genes.

Awesome perspective. We are all subject to self fulfilling prophecy, so might as well look at the bright side. Me likes Mrs. Cave Woman and making little cave children!

giphy.gif

Seems a little earlier to be making grand predictions. But this is the time to make them, the off season when hope springs eternal.

Last edited:
[1] S. Alabama [WIN] - New HC in 2018; went with a LOT of young guys and 2019 won't be much better.

[2] AT Colorado [?] - New HC is defense first guy. Not sure what to expect; after the #1 guys, the depth chart has issues.

[3] N. Illinois [WIN] - NIU looked like a flaming ball of crap in their bowl game but return a lot of depth in '19.

[4] AT Illinois [WIN] - Problems from admin to coaches to roster.

[5] Ohio St [?] - Hopefully Nebraska has some momentum coming into this game.

[6] Northwestern [?] - Fitzgerald knows how to deal with adversity and win. 5-star Clemson transfer H. Johnson steps in for Thorson at QB but they lose 4 other starters on O and 5 more on D.

[7] AT Minnesota [?] - Young roster with confidence after beating Wisconsin; let's see how they do in their bowl game. Offense (2-deep) has 17 of 22 FR and SO.

[8] BYE #1 - Definitely need the break.

[9] Indiana [W] - Scrappy team trying to figure things out but too many issues.

[10] AT Purdue [?] - J. Brohm is back; QB Blough is gone but Sindelar is just as good (if his knee holds up) and R. Moore is lightning.

[11] BYE #2 - Good break for the final 3-game stretch.

[12] Wisconsin [?] - Chryst's QB picture is murky. The D loses some guys as does the OL.

[13] AT Maryland [?] - M. Locksley, new HC from Alabama (OC) is a crapshoot. HC experience is N. Mexico (2-26) and Maryland (1-5).

[14] Iowa [W] - If Nebraska is healthy and 2-0 after the break, they will right the ship.
So you have 5 wins and 7 question marks. Pretty short limb you are going on to. You are probably right that those are questionable games. If we go 4-3 on the questionable games, its 8-4. Still quite a jump.

Last edited:

So you have 5 wins and 7 question marks. Pretty short limb you are going on to. You are probably right that those are questionable games. If we go 4-3 on the questionable games, its 8-4. Still quite a jump.
I like Kool-Aid as much as the next Husker but I also try to be more realistic in my assessment. It's easy to look at the schedule and starting counting Ws but Nebraska has some holes to fill on both sides of the ball and the reasons listed below are why I'm not drinking any Kool-Aid yet; winter conditioning and spring ball will provide some clarity.

QB - lack of depth; what are everyone's predictions if Martinez gets hurt?
RB - Washington isn't an "every down" Big 10 RB; need at least 2 or 3 for a solid rotation?
WR - lack of experience and depth; Spielman and who else?
OL - C is a big one; are they pinning their hopes on two walk-ons?
DL - warm bodies are nice; need at least 5 to step up.
LB - lack of experience and depth; who are the 8 LBs that would make the 2-deep?
DB - one safety with experience [unless you slide Domann back]

Seems to me there's little basis for predicting we're favored in 11 games except that persistent sense of entitlement (call it optimism, if you prefer) that pervades most Husker fans when predicting wins and losses.
He is likely correct about the first 4 games nu being favored. Likely correct about being dogs to usu. Likely to be favored v. nw, min and indiana. Purdue is questionable. Probably favored v. Wisco and iowa and maryland. So he really isn't stepping too far out on the limb.

Even though Kool-aid was invented in the same town that gave us TO..........it still can be a nasty poison.
This team next year will not be deep or talented enough yet to simply win all of its favored games and lose its one unfavored game. we have 9 conference games. IL and IND at home, both seem like pretty much sure wins. All the other games we are capable of losing. Even Minn on the road with a coach thats trying to turn the corner is dangerous. NO way we go 8-1. But i will give the idea that we could go 8-2 in conference buy losing to OSU and stumbling only once along the way. That would put us at 10-2. But I think with Colorado on the road and it being questionable to me that you think we will be favored over Wisky at home, by far the more likely record would e 9-3. Now, depeding on who the 2 non OSU losses are too, and depending on if one of those wins are wisky..............a 9 and 3 record could certainly put us in the BI10 champs game.
9-3 is the best guess record, with hopes from fans that with a little luck we could go 10-2. Anything other than that is not just drinking the Kool-Aid, its drinking some really nasty Kool-aid thats ruined your mind!!!!

To do that would require a pretty big jump in defense, imo, and I don't know that we can count on that.

Yep, and with, what 2/3 of our roster true freshman, redshirt freshman, or true sophomores? Also recall that the majority of the guys helping to get our culture right won't be around next year. It SEEMS like we could start a little further ahead culture-wise than year 1 - but there will surely be some bumps there as well.

But, hell, it's almost New Years Eve. I'll have a couple of what Hville is serving...just hope I can find that Uber guy to drive me home....what was his first name again. Justin? Jordan? :Facepalm:

All true but at some point reason has to wheedle its way into your thinking and say, "there are too many unknowns to make such brash statements." 11-1 is, of course, possible but is it realistic? IMO, optimism should be with the players.

All true. I get it. It's more fun to be optimistic. At some point, though, it seems prudent to reverse your "that snake isn't going to bite me" thinking when that snake keeps biting you.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back