• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Search results

1. huskerator 5000

Are there any SF apologists who believe he should be the coach today?

Based on wins it's hard to make a case to keep Frost, unless Trev took a close look at the program and knew Frost was doing the right things and the W/L just hadn't caught up. I still think the timing was early and we could have let a few more games go. Maybe we'd learn something. However...
  2. huskerator 5000

Strong words on Frost from Severe

I haven’t much of the thread but I hope multiple people have already pointed out that these kinds of stories come out 100% of the time after NU coaches are fired. Riley didn’t make guys lift, didn’t believe in squats, no accountability, etc. Same kinds of stories with Solich, Pelini, Bohl...
  3. huskerator 5000

Press Conference Thread. (At 3PM CDT: Will Be On BTN)

Sam asked the same question I was wondering about, if they’d won would SF still be employed? Trev wisely refused to answer but my read is, yes 100%, without the loss no change is made now. And given how the game was so close, basically a coin flip— is it really the right thing to trigger a...
  4. huskerator 5000

Frost out; Mickey Joseph Named Interim Head Coach

Giving a guy an extra $7.5M might actually not be disrespectful at all, the more I think about this.
  5. huskerator 5000

Do the Right Thing

I can see both sides of this. It’s not unreasonable to acknowledge that you’re not getting it done, and voluntarily walk away. Because you care about the organization and you think someone else can do a better job. It could be an honorable move. But on the other hand we want an HC who...
  6. huskerator 5000

Whatever happened to Mike Riley?

Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Michigan are 1, 3, and 4 in Massey offense this year (and the NU defense did very well against them -- holding OSU to their lowest point total of the season, and OU to their 3rd lowest). He also has Purdue offense at 15 and Michigan State at 16, which I can't say I...
  7. huskerator 5000

Whatever happened to Mike Riley?

We didn't play as tough of offenses in 2016 though. Massey defense ratings (which take the strength of opposing offense into account) has NU 2021 at #19 nationally, versus NU 2016 at #30.
  8. huskerator 5000

Just another close loss

I'm willing to believe that, although I wonder how much of the improved offense was just AM being closer to 100%. He was a step faster, and it neutralized the Wisconsin pass rush.
  9. huskerator 5000

I don't blame HCSF one bit for the unsportsman like conduct call at the end

Maybe if they were "letting them play" in general down the stretch that'd be an okay no-call, but they'd already called an incredibly costly holding penalty against NU in the final set of downs.
  10. huskerator 5000

Coaching outlook

Setting aside the fact that he coached at NU before. If his health and energy was at a level that he still wanted to do the job (which is a big if), he has a strong resume for coaching RBs.
  11. huskerator 5000

Coaching outlook

If Solich's health is up for it he could be a great RB coach for a few years. IIRC, he once said he would really enjoy going back to that kind of role to finish his career.
  12. huskerator 5000

Frost won't be the coach next year.

I think Pelini took over a strong roster, especially for what he wanted to do. And he kept key pieces of the offensive staff. If not for those things, he doesn't come a play away from the Big 12 championship, etc. So I think the first four years of Frost vs. Pelini isn't enough apples to...
  13. huskerator 5000

Who exactly do we lose on D? It's hard to just read off the depth chart given the extra year of eligibility, and a combination of me not paying enough attention and not having a good enough memory means I can't tell.
  14. huskerator 5000

I would have given 3/4 of the previous fired coaches more time too. We tried doing it one way, lots of firings, for 20 years—and the team keeps getting worse. Why not try it the other way for a season or two and see if we learn something?
  15. huskerator 5000

Definitely not what I'm saying. I'm just saying, if you're saying I'm not applying the same wacky attitudes that the fans have had over the past 20 years, I don't have any problem with that. Just for my part from the beginning I was more lukewarm on Frost than the vast majority. Mainly...
  16. huskerator 5000

I think there's a good chance we at least split the last two games, but let's wait and see. I do think the team is better this season than in the past several years. Close losses might not "count" for anything in the standings but they do suggest what your team might be able to do in the...
  17. huskerator 5000

Well, in fairness most fans are still in the "wins matter" camp, I think the majority probably want Frost out the door at this point. But the approach we adopted with previous coaches hasn't been working, going on almost 20 years now, so I don't see any reason why we want to stick to that formula.
  18. huskerator 5000

But the W/L column alone can't be what coaching hires/fires at NU are about. Anybody can count wins and say "I want more of these." If that's all we do, looking around for a coach with more wins and trying to hire them to NU, it's hard to imagine we ever outpace the competition who have...
  19. huskerator 5000

Why isn’t this working out?

Not sure I understand, since we're talking about turnarounds and Riley and Frost both engineered impressive ones, Callahan didn't. Anyhow Riley WAS a good coach, not good enough or the right guy for Nebraska but his record at Oregon State speaks for itself. The NU program was done no favors by...
  20. huskerator 5000

Why isn’t this working out?

Despite the 0-12 prior season, UCF was still the most talented team in the AAC when Frost took over (according to 247), if I recall correctly. He had a lot stacked in his favor at UCF. Nonetheless you can't engineer that kind of turnaround without being a good coach, and Frost is a good coach.

Back