• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Search results

1. windycityred

Amazon pop up ad

This is still a problem, any progress?
  2. windycityred

Nebraska's Senior class has lowest rated star average in college football.

Since we are getting hung up on whether an unrated player should be a 0 or a 2, should we also talk about the fact that an average is a horrible way to summarize categorical data?
  3. windycityred

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Class Rankings for the top finishers in the AP Poll (9 year study)

Although, historic Massey ratings seem to be more difficult to come by. Sagarin has made it very easy to copy and paste data and compile it in a format that can be analyzed.
  4. windycityred

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Class Rankings for the top finishers in the AP Poll (9 year study)

Unfortunately, I don't have all of the data I collected previously (I've since changed jobs and was doing this on a work computer), so I would need to redo the whole thing to get 2015 data in and even predict outcomes for 2016, which is the real hard part. Still, I might do things differently...
  5. windycityred

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Out of State huskers

I've always used this to find watch sites. It has usually been pretty accurate, but I always call ahead to verify they are actually a watch site. http://www.huskermax.com/watch/ when I lived in Chicago (just moved away last summer), there was only a couple places to watch downtown, but...
  6. windycityred

This is very interesting. I suspect the prediciton of AP rank is deflated because of range restriction. I did a similar analysis a year ago and found an R^2 of about .5. I was also using Rivals ranking due to data availability at the time, but my dependent variable was sagarin ratings rather...
  7. windycityred

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Another Under/Over Achievement Aanalysis

I knew there was something familiar about this analysis. Obviously I didn't take it quite to the level this guy did, but maybe I should apply for a job with Nate Silver. ;) http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/showthread.php?58611-Correlation-between-recruiting-and-AP-rankings
  8. windycityred

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Another Under/Over Achievement Aanalysis

I assume you are referencing the fact that Alabama falls fairly low on this rating scale. As do others who consistently have highly ranked classes. I guess I missed the point you were trying to make. This isn't a ranking of classes. It's a ranking of what the coach does with a class after they...
  9. windycityred

Are you saying that the only metric by which to evaluate a coaches performance is national titles? If so, there are a lot of coaches who many would agree are successful that are failures by that metric. I'd prefer a broader definition of coaching success. I'm not even saying that the definition...
  10. windycityred

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/after-signing-day-wisconsin-makes-the-best-of-its-recruits/ I think folks will probably like the second chart, which shows Oregon State 4th in the country in terms of overachieving recruiting rankings between 2005 and 2014.
  11. windycityred

Bowl game thread: Utah vs. Colorado State

How mad would you be if the tv announcers interviewed the coach who just left your program during your bowl game? I'd be pissed.
  12. windycityred

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Talent versus Coaching: Fascinating analysis

What part of this analysis is simple? I have a master's degree and work with statistics every day. This is not a simple analysis in a layman's understanding of statistics. A simple statistical analysis would be to throw out the fact that Mike Riley is 93 and 80 and claim that he is an average...
  13. windycityred

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Talent versus Coaching: Fascinating analysis

Bumping this up, because it seems relevant as a topic of discussion again, given recent events. OSU typically outplayed their recruiting (though not by a ton) rankings, whereas Nebraska's performance on the field tended to be right in line with their recruiting rankings. If Nebraska can keep up...
  14. windycityred

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked How bad will this board be

I would say that this is the worst fear come true. And also the only reason that I was still somewhat on the fence about Bo all the way up until he was fired (though I was leaning toward firing). Still, maybe getting fired is what Bo needed in order to learn his lesson. If he has success...
  15. windycityred

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Signs pointing to Troy Calhoun...

It seems as though we aren't going to find out this week. To me, this means our future head coach has a game this weekend. Air Force isn't playing this weekend.
  16. windycityred

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Florida St @ Louisville

Wouldn't we rather have FSU undefeated when Miami beats them? ;)
  17. windycityred

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Wow, Chris Fowler...

I watched game day earlier this year and was turned off by a segment called "SEC Wives". I just sat there watching and thinking, what was so hard about calling the segment "coaches wives" and including wives in other conferences? If they show a preference on something so simple, it's hard not...
  18. windycityred

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked 2014 NFL Draft (First Round) Breakdown by Star Rankings

What am I supposed to conclude from this information? When you compare the 2014 recruiting and draft classes, it seems that there is the same consistent relationship that you can see in other analyses. There is a relationship between star rating and performance on the field (in this case...
  19. windycityred

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Will Wisconsin become our new Oklahoma?

Well, I was going to bring up the NFL scheduling philosophy as an example of how to schedule intra-divisional games in a way that is more equal than what college football currently does anyway. So, regardless of how the NFL was brought up, my example still stands. There is a better way to handle...

Back