• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bo Penguinis

Carl Pelini named DC and head coach in waiting.

Where is Bo going? I think we all agree it won't be as HC of any FBS team.

When is Bo going?

Interesting. I think that lends some credence to the thought a few have had here that Bo is just waiting out his kids high school careers.

Don't know for sure, but if Bobby Petrino can get another job after his issues, I have no doubt someone will give Bo another shot. Many schools could and have hired far worse coaches.

For the when, I'd look at when his youngest is out of high school. That next fall he's down the road, IMO.

Interesting. I think that lends some credence to the thought a few have had here that Bo is just waiting out his kids high school careers.

Don't know for sure, but if Bobby Petrino can get another job after his issues, I have no doubt someone will give Bo another shot. Many schools could and have hired far worse coaches.

For the when, I'd look at when his youngest is out of high school. That next fall he's down the road, IMO.

Although Petrino -- in his coaching prime (prior to the motorcycle accident/fired from Arkansas) was far more successful than Bo was. And the Power Five school to give him a second chance was his original school, Louisville, where he was highly successful. Bo isn't going to get a second chance at Nebraska -- even in the slight chance Frost flops. Louisville re-hired a coach who had been very successful everywhere he coached -- and they still ultimately fired him recently.

Has Bo really done enough at Youngstown State for anyone to be knocking at his door? Even if you were to remove the character issues, he's gone 10-12 the past two seasons. He's only had one really good season at YSU (yes, it was great -- 12-2). The other three were all mediocre to poor -- 15-18. I just can't imagine any Power Five programs (and probably most or all FBS) thinking Bo is showing enough promise to overlook any potential flaws. Maybe if he can turn YSU around over the next 2-3 seasons.

Although Petrino -- in his coaching prime (prior to the motorcycle accident/fired from Arkansas) was far more successful than Bo was. And the Power Five school to give him a second chance was his original school, Louisville, where he was highly successful. Bo isn't going to get a second chance at Nebraska -- even in the slight chance Frost flops. Louisville re-hired a coach who had been very successful everywhere he coached -- and they still ultimately fired him recently.

Has Bo really done enough at Youngstown State for anyone to be knocking at his door? Even if you were to remove the character issues, he's gone 10-12 the past two seasons. He's only had one really good season at YSU (yes, it was great -- 12-2). The other three were all mediocre to poor -- 15-18. I just can't imagine any Power Five programs (and probably most or all FBS) thinking Bo is showing enough promise to overlook any potential flaws. Maybe if he can turn YSU around over the next 2-3 seasons.

No question he never comes back to Nebraska in any capacity, but I still think he gets another D1 job. Not extolling the man as a coach, but like I said, lesser coaches have gotten and continue to get jobs. Maybe he starts as a DC and works his way back into a head coaching roll, but I think it comes. It may be a much smaller school or a school without any history of success, but I'd be surprised if we've seen the last of the guy in FBS.

No question he never comes back to Nebraska in any capacity, but I still think he gets another D1 job. Not extolling the man as a coach, but like I said, lesser coaches have gotten and continue to get jobs. Maybe he starts as a DC and works his way back into a head coaching roll, but I think it comes. It may be a much smaller school or a school without any history of success, but I'd be surprised if we've seen the last of the guy in FBS.

I guess I'm curious, what lesser coaches have gotten jobs recently? Especially lesser coaches with some perceived baggage. And again, I go back to -- what is he doing at Youngstown State that would draw interest? Now, I wouldn't rule out a defensive coordinator gig at some lesser FBS program at some point in the future. I don't think any FBS school would give him a head coaching job if there was an opening today.

DONU just honored the 4th winningest HC (58 wins) ... how long until they welcome back the third winningest HC in school history?

:Stirthepot::Biggrin:

An FBS team will not hire Bo as HC.

I guess I'm curious, what lesser coaches have gotten jobs recently? Especially lesser coaches with some perceived baggage. And again, I go back to -- what is he doing at Youngstown State that would draw interest? Now, I wouldn't rule out a defensive coordinator gig at some lesser FBS program at some point in the future. I don't think any FBS school would give him a head coaching job if there was an opening today.

With the baggage? None. Zip. But don't discount the fact that you're looking at it through the eyes of a Nebraska fan and not impartially. His record at YSU isn't completely irrelevant, but, IMO, what will be looked at is his record at NU. He did what the coaches before and after him couldn't do and that's win 9 games a year and take his team to a bowl. Don't take my comments as a defense of his later years at Nebraska or that I'm saying he didn't need to go, because it was time.

Akron, Bowling Green, Liberty, UMass and Western Kentucky all hired lesser coaches, IMO. Obviously Bo doesn't fit at Liberty, but the conversation was does he get another FBS chance and I think the answer is yes. None of those locations are sexy and none are P5, but they could have hired Bo this year and been in a better position on paper than they are. Will he succeed? I doubt it. He isn't good at some of the things you have to be good at to excel at the FBS level.

With the baggage? None. Zip. But don't discount the fact that you're looking at it through the eyes of a Nebraska fan and not impartially. His record at YSU isn't completely irrelevant, but, IMO, what will be looked at is his record at NU. He did what the coaches before and after him couldn't do and that's win 9 games a year and take his team to a bowl. Don't take my comments as a defense of his later years at Nebraska or that I'm saying he didn't need to go, because it was time.

Akron, Bowling Green, Liberty, UMass and Western Kentucky all hired lesser coaches, IMO. Obviously Bo doesn't fit at Liberty, but the conversation was does he get another FBS chance and I think the answer is yes. None of those locations are sexy and none are P5, but they could have hired Bo this year and been in a better position on paper than they are. Will he succeed? I doubt it. He isn't good at some of the things you have to be good at to excel at the FBS level.

They hired Hugh Freeze. Their standards aren't that high apparently.....:)

YSU just lost their third straight game, and YSU faithful want Bo gone.

Here's one example:

The Pelini experiment is an epic failure. Bottom line is that he has a losing conference record during his 4 plus years as head coach. One playoff berth in what will be five years.

He is a disaster. In all his years as a head coach how many conference titles has be won? Zero. His coaching staff is overwhelmed. Pelini is an arrogant bully and that kind of coach, aka Belichick and Saban win championships and get away with being that way. Pelini has won nothing.

His days of being a head coach are over. Yes, he can land a big time D coordinator job, coaching is the good old boys network. Just look at his staff, all the Mooney guys.

Plenty more here:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back