• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Graduate Transfer CBs

Ellis Boyd Redding

Varsity
10 Year Member
In case any team needs some help at CB, here are 3 recently discussed by Athlon...

Kemah Siverand, CB, Texas A&M
A four-star prospect per 247Sports and an Under Armour All-American, Siverand was actually considered the nation’s No. 31-ranked wide receiver in a 2015 class that included Calvin Ridley, Equanimeous St. Brown and D.J. Moore, each of whom were taken in the 2018 NFL Draft.

He made the move to defensive back in 2017 as there was already a logjam at wide receiver, a situation that probably wasn’t going to improve either as the Aggies were in on a number of highly-rated prospects for their next two recruiting classes.

Texas A&M found itself with issues similar to Nebraska’s current secondary woes back in 2016 after losing both starting cornerbacks. As a result, the Aggies gave up 250 passing yards per game, a mark that put them ahead of just 31 other FBS teams. Siverand does have decent size (6-1, 200) for a cornerback, but he struggled making the transition, as he finished with just six tackles (four solo) in 11 games last season.

The Cornhuskers already have true freshman Cam’Ron Jones, a four-star prospect from Mansfield, Texas, in the fold but the possibility of adding another Houston-area native in Siverand could be worth exploring.

Nick Watkins, CB, Notre Dame
The No. 17 cornerback in the class of 2014 per 247Sports, Watkins had his pick of schools including Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Nebraska.

He ended up signing with Notre Dame but recently announced via Twitter that he would finish his college career elsewhere. As of this writing, a May graduation looks likely with his school selection and transfer coming shortly thereafter.

The 6-foot-1, 205-pound cornerback showed plenty of potential in 2015 before suffering an injury prior to that season’s Fiesta Bowl against Ohio State. He opened 2017 as a starter and seemed to adapt well to then-defensive coordinator Mike Elko’s system, but as the season progressed he lost playing time to Troy Pride Jr., a sophomore who appeared to take to the position more smoothly. Watkins finished the season with 27 tackles (21 solo), eight pass breakups and an interception while playing in 12 games (nine starts).

His departure from Notre Dame is actually best for all parties involved. He needs a change in scenery and the Irish are in the process of trimming their roster of scholarship players. With Nebraska’s immediate need for depth in the secondary, this could be a match made in heaven.

Rodney Williams, S, Syracuse
Williams is an extremely interesting option. A three-star prospect from the class of 2014 per 247Sports, the Cherry Hill, New Jersey, native accumulated 125 tackles and two interceptions over three seasons with the Orange. In total, he played in 33 games and made 21 starts.

Syracuse’s pass defense left much to be desired in 2017, as the Orange surrendered 247 yards per game through the air to rank 97th in the FBS. That was an improvement, however, over the 276.1 passing yards per game allowed in 2016 (118th).

Williams did play quite a bit at safety at Syracuse, a position the Nebraska coaching staff has already added true freshmen Cam’ron Jones, C.J. Smith and Cam Taylor, as well as junior college transfer Deontai Williams to the roster.

However, Williams has shown versatility and could easily make an impact at cornerback as well.

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...ld-consider-these-three-graduate-transfer-dbs

New Addition:

Cameron Jefferies, CB, Bowling Green
Jefferies has great athletic ability with a 40-yard dash time of 4.4 seconds. He started 12 of 21 games as a freshman and sophomore at Bowling Green. He will graduate from BG in two years, and is expected to make his announcement of transferring to Cincinnati or Nebraska and play football there soon.

He had 36 tackles with seven passed defended, and also returned a fumble for a touchdown in BG's loss at Michigan State. At 5-foot-10 pounds, Cameron has developed into a fast, athletic cornerback with growing NFL potential.

He has offers from UNLV, Arkansas State, and his two finalists, Cincinnati and Nebraska. He's expected to make his decision in about two weeks.

He would be eligible to play immediately in 2018.

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/2...s-working-to-graduate-from-bg-two-years-early

Last edited:

We need a grad transfer, and a good 2019 high school and JUCO corner recruiting class. If we are going to be "dangerous" in 2019, OL and CB are our main obstacles in my opinion.
I agree with all you say other than the word "dangerous". We are simply in no position at this time to entertain the possibility of being "dangerous". I think the first goal at hand is to eliminate the perseption by the rest of the league that we are a joke relishing in the past.

I agree with all you say other than the word "dangerous". We are simply in no position at this time to entertain the possibility of being "dangerous". I think the first goal at hand is to eliminate the perseption by the rest of the league that we are a joke relishing in the past.
You're going to need to take the word dangerous up with our head coach. I put it in quotes because he said it, not me. I share your cautiousness.

- I don’t want to speak for ***, but I think he was probably referring to a recent comment by HCSF

Don't have a subscription but he's supposedly visiting you guys soon according to the headline
I just heard that on Sports Nightly. Grad transfer CB from Notre Dame & McKewon reporting he's visiting this weekend. We could probably use him.

I don't care how the league perceives us. Games are won and lost on the football field, and talk is cheap.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back