• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Is 2013 the Year Huskers Return to Glory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you say something repeatedly, most folks will fall in line and start to believe it...even if it's absurd. Hence, a schedule composed of mediocre teams last year was "brutal" and this year is "even worse." Can't wait for the day I hear that Indiana is underrated and Purdue is a much better team than people realize. After that, I suppose people will start thinking it was OK to lose to NW cause they are a team on the rise. LOL. The BIG is a very weak conference right now, if we can't win when Ohio State and Michigan are down and Bielema is renting a new QB every year...well, the easy schedule we have won't get much easier later.

PS-- "tough schedule" = just one more excuse.

According to Phil Steele, our 2012 schedule strength is 14th according to the NCAA methodology, and 25th according to his own. Of course, what does he know? Thank goodness you have deemed yourself the greatest fan of all, so you can have the street cred with your fellow posters when you cynically dismiss any notion that we are playing a tough schedule this year.

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2012/July12/DBJuly6.html

I still am not convinced that our schedule is "brutal". Its not an easy schedule, but definitely manageable. Other than games @Ohio St and @ Michigan St, I think we should win every game on our schedule. Wisconsin no longer has Russell and Michigan had a charmed season last year (should have lost to ND, should have lost to Ohio St., and did lose to VT in bowl game --horrible call gave them this game). Penn St. is a mess, NW game was a fluke last year, and Iowa has a non mobile QB (Pelini eats those guys for lunch). Just my take on it.

You aren't giving Wisconsin and Michigan enough respect....those are very very good teams. Ohio State and Michigan State are both extremely tough games on the road. All the others we definetely SHOULD win.....but there is always that one game a year we struggle against a team we should beat. If we go 2-2 against the teams I mentioned that would be an extremely good year....of course we need to win the games we should as well....

With all the starters NU is returning there's no reason 2012 can't be a big year. Avoid the yearly clunker and they should be playing for the conf title.

According to Phil Steele, our 2012 schedule strength is 14th according to the NCAA methodology, and 25th according to his own. Of course, what does he know? Thank goodness you have deemed yourself the greatest fan of all, so you can have the street cred with your fellow posters when you cynically dismiss any notion that we are playing a tough schedule this year.

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2012/July12/DBJuly6.html

First, the NCAA's method is silly, unless you think teams don't change year to year. But I am surprized to see you acknowledge Phil Steele as such an expert. Especially, since he rates our schedule as only 4th toughest in the BIG saying in essense, that with the exception of Wisconsin, we actually have the WEAKEST schedule of any BIG contender. Imagine that.

Frankly, no one has a crystal ball, but it should be obvious to all that we came into a media hyped conference that is much weaker than its reputation and we did so at the perfect time--when it was (and is) at its very weakest. The fact that we were unable to capitalize on this is concerning. Maybe this year will be different :)

Last edited:

First, the NCAA's method is silly, unless you think teams don't change year to year. But I am surprized to see you acknowledge Phil Steele as such an expert. Especially, since he rates our schedule as only 4th toughest in the BIG saying in essense, that with the exception of Wisconsin, we actually have the WEAKEST schedule of any BIG contender. Imagine that.

Frankly, no one has a crystal ball, but it should be obvious to all that we came into a media hyped conference that is much weaker than its reputation and we did so at the perfect time--when it was (and is) at its very weakest. The fact that we were unable to capitalize on this is concerning. Maybe this year will be different :)

Michigan is the only Big 10 team with an appreciably tougher schedule, and that is because they play Alabama this year. Michigan State is 21, Ohio St is 23, and we are 25 -- meaning that we all three have roughly equivalent schedules in terms of difficulty. 3 of our 4 nonconference teams were in bowls last year and are projected to be contenders in their conferences this year.

By any measure, 80% of the FBS schools play a weaker schedule than we do. Nobody is going to take away your right to come here and gleefully crow when we lose a game. You'll still be able to do that. But we do have a difficult schedule this year.

Greatest Fan of All;996696[U said:
]First, the NCAA's method is silly[/U], unless you think teams don't change year to year. But I am surprized to see you acknowledge Phil Steele as such an expert. Especially, since he rates our schedule as only 4th toughest in the BIG saying in essense, that with the exception of Wisconsin, we actually have the WEAKEST schedule of any BIG contender. Imagine that.

You know, with all your self-proclaimed expertise, its rather shocking that the NCAA hasn't sought you out and offered you big bucks to fix their "silly" methods and opinions, nor have you started your own magazine and website to make lots of money the way Phil Steele does. Heck, since you're SO much better than either the NCAA experts or Phil Steele, it should be easy to capitalize on all that knowledge and expertise! You know the old saying, "put up or shut up!" And as long as all you do is come to an online forum to anonymously belittle the REAL experts, everyone will continue to regard you as the poser with a bad attitude that you so clearly show yourself as.

Michigan is the only Big 10 team with an appreciably tougher schedule, and that is because they play Alabama this year. Michigan State is 21, Ohio St is 23, and we are 25 -- meaning that we all three have roughly equivalent schedules in terms of difficulty. 3 of our 4 nonconference teams were in bowls last year and are projected to be contenders in their conferences this year.

By any measure, 80% of the FBS schools play a weaker schedule than we do. Nobody is going to take away your right to come here and gleefully crow when we lose a game. You'll still be able to do that. But we do have a difficult schedule this year.

This. I have no doubt he'll still come here and gleefully crow at Husker losses. After all, I guess in his mind that's what the "greatest fan of all" does. :rolleyes:

Is 2013 the Year Huskers Return to Glory?

Based on the fact that NU's football program has not even won a conference title in about 13 years, and nothing really out of the ordinary has happened in recent years to think that the program has been significantly upgraded, and because it is a long way from no conference championships to national championships, I would have to say that my answer is: unlikely.

Last edited:
ThotDoc stole the ideas right out of my head.

Can we stop anointing 2013 as the Second Coming of Nebraska Football? Let's just focus on 2012 and stop sounding like Cub fans.

If you say something repeatedly, most folks will fall in line and start to believe it...even if it's absurd. Hence, a schedule composed of mediocre teams last year was "brutal" and this year is "even worse." Can't wait for the day I hear that Indiana is underrated and Purdue is a much better team than people realize. After that, I suppose people will start thinking it was OK to lose to NW cause they are a team on the rise. LOL. The BIG is a very weak conference right now, if we can't win when Ohio State and Michigan are down and Bielema is renting a new QB every year...well, the easy schedule we have won't get much easier later.

PS-- "tough schedule" = just one more excuse.

Amen...I agree 100%. I don't think LSU or Alabama would be too frightened by this schedule

No, 2012 is going to be the return to glory, we will win the Big 10 this season. Martinez will have a stellar year, the defense will step up.. We finish in the top 6 going 12-2.

Next year we battle for the National Championship.

I like the way you think.... I feel exactly the same way. (for now)

Amen...I agree 100%. I don't think LSU or Alabama would be too frightened by this schedule

A - comparing us to LSU or Alabama is a stretch....so I think we should be worried. B - I guarantee their fans would be mad that the cross-division games didn't include one "gimme" game...

Even in the SEC they talk about how "unlucky" teams are if they draw Alabama, LSU, and/or Arkansas in the same year...

You know, with all your self-proclaimed expertise, its rather shocking that the NCAA hasn't sought you out and offered you big bucks to fix their "silly" methods and opinions, nor have you started your own magazine and website to make lots of money the way Phil Steele does. Heck, since you're SO much better than either the NCAA experts or Phil Steele, it should be easy to capitalize on all that knowledge and expertise! You know the old saying, "put up or shut up!" And as long as all you do is come to an online forum to anonymously belittle the REAL experts, everyone will continue to regard you as the poser with a bad attitude that you so clearly show yourself as.

Hummm, you ought to at least try to understand the posts you read before tearing into another poster. First, I never "self proclaimed" any expertise on the strength of schedule topic, although it is a pretty simple concept that any 5th grade football fan could master better than the NCAA. Why, you might ask? Why would I call the NCAA experts methodology "silly" and claim a 5th grade football fan could to better? I will tell you why. It is because the NCAA methodology was put together without the use of any football or scheduling experts at all. They simply took the team schedules for 2012 and added up the records for all of the opponents and ranked them based on the percentage of 2011 wins vs. losses, WITHOUT ANY ANALYSIS at all. Without, compensating for the number of returning starters, the numbers of returning (or lost) star-type players, the number of home vs. road games, or any coaching changes at any of the schools--simple stuff any 5th grade fan would know. Sounds like a pretty shoddy way to put together a strength of schedule doesn't it? Well it is shoddy, and meaningless, and silly…a complete waste of time except for someone who wants to grab onto it (as an excuse) because they want to claim that "experts" (LOL) like the NCAA say their schedule is tough.

Second, I never bad mouthed Phil Steele, what I said was I was surprised to see Chitown Husker use Phil as his "expert" because clearly Phil thought 3 other BIG contenders had HARDER schedules than ours. THAT my friend was "proof" that Chitown's argument was wrong and it was provided by his own expert witness. You can't find funnier stuff in a bad movie these days!

This. I have no doubt he'll still come here and gleefully crow at Husker losses. After all, I guess in his mind that's what the "greatest fan of all" does. :rolleyes:

Boy, no one roots harder for the Huskers or feels worse than I do when they lose. The problem is, once you lose blind faith in your coaches, you start to see the program for what it is and where it is headed. That never happened between 1962 and 2001, then in 2002 that stark reality hit and we haven't ever pulled out of that hole since. Suh and some other fine blackshirts got Bo off to a good start, but until similar high talent shows up again, it going to be hard to move back to the blind faith world. Perhaps TM will up his game to Heisman level and the issue will be solved! Otherwise, I guess our best hope is that Johnny Stanton is the second coming of Andrew Luck two years from now.

<!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_b0ae8d70-cac3-4915-8c25-c5b097400112 -->

Last edited:

Hummm, you ought to at least try to understand the posts you read before tearing into another poster. First, I never "self proclaimed" any expertise on the strength of schedule topic, although it is a pretty simple concept that any 5th grade football fan could master better than the NCAA. Why, you might ask? Why would I call the NCAA experts methodology "silly" and claim a 5th grade football fan could to better? I will tell you why. It is because the NCAA methodology was put together without the use of any football or scheduling experts at all. They simply took the team schedules for 2012 and added up the records for all of the opponents and ranked them based on the percentage of 2011 wins vs. losses, WITHOUT ANY ANALYSIS at all. Without, compensating for the number of returning starters, the numbers of returning (or lost) star-type players, the number of home vs. road games, or any coaching changes at any of the schools--simple stuff any 5th grade fan would know. Sounds like a pretty shoddy way to put together a strength of schedule doesn't it? Well it is shoddy, and meaningless, and silly…a complete waste of time except for someone who wants to grab onto it (as an excuse) because they want to claim that "experts" (LOL) like the NCAA say their schedule is tough.

Second, I never bad mouthed Phil Steele, what I said was I was surprised to see Chitown Husker use Phil as his "expert" because clearly Phil thought 3 other BIG contenders had HARDER schedules than ours. THAT my friend was "proof" that Chitown's argument was wrong and it was provided by his own expert witness. You can't find funnier stuff in a bad movie these days!

Boy, no one roots harder for the Huskers or feels worse than I do when they lose. The problem is, once you lose blind faith in your coaches, you start to see the program for what it is and where it is headed. That never happened between 1962 and 2001, then in 2002 that stark reality hit and we haven't ever pulled out of that hole since. Suh and some other fine blackshirts got Bo off to a good start, but until similar high talent shows up again, it going to be hard to move back to the blind faith world. Perhaps TM will up his game to Heisman level and the issue will be solved! Otherwise, I guess our best hope is that Johnny Stanton is the second coming of Andrew Luck two years from now.

<!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_b0ae8d70-cac3-4915-8c25-c5b097400112 -->

Here we go with this again............1st he wasn't "ripping into the poster" stop crying. And you don't have to quote, word for word, "I AM AN EXPERT EVERYONE LISTEN TO ME" in order for us to catch the little vibe that you give off in your posts.

2nd Even a 5th would call Bull..... on the logic that a 5th grade would analyze the strength of schedule in the manor that you "claim" the experts aren't doing. I think that's funny because every year I read a mag, watch a ESPN show, listen to sports radio, etc.....this is exact formula the experts say they use when coming up with their polls, rankings, pre-season predictions, etc... and thus it is also the reason why you know the formula, but we are sure you didn't come up with the formula yourself. You show me a group of 5th graders whom can accurately and consistently give us preseason info as these "silly" experts give us every off-season.

3rd you might want to re-read Chitown's post again. Nothing you quote prove that his post was wrong. He already pointed out that Steele had our schedule at #25, which is a tougher schedule that 80% of the FBS schools as of course you know there are 124 teams (120 full members, and 4 transitional). So just because you can point out that their are 3 teams in our conference with tougher schedules doesn't make NU's schedule any easier.

Last........no one knocks you for not being satisfied with the what has been accomplished thus far or what hasn't been accomplished (in your eyes). No one's asking you to be a die hard supporter of the coaching staff. Cry about it all you want. I just don't understand why you spend so much energy in trying to convince others that we should feel the same way as you. And when we don't agree, you call it "blind faith" (which is kind of redundant). If you actually open your eyes, you will see what the REAL greatest fans are using as a source for having faith in this staff.

We can give you a run down of things this staff has accomplished that allows us to have excitement for what's to come but you spend so much energy to shoot it down like it means nothing, yet claim that we will do worse in the near future. Like having 9 or more wins the passed 4 seasons. Yes, we could have won more, we should have won more, but 9 or more wins for the passed 4 seasons has only been accomplished by 8 other HCs in the FBS (again 124 teams, equally 124 HCs). And we have the only one of them whom this is their first HC job. We means he's still learning and growing into his position. The recruiting classes are getting stronger. The GPA of the team has gotten better, in a time where top programs across the country are getting penalized for whatever, we still stand for doing things the right way......and I could go on and on....

You and only you see this program as being the worst it's ever been or at least worse than anytime from 1962 to 2001. Last I checked theirs a certain AD in our offices who was around (actually on the sidelines) during that time and if he felt like the program he help to build for so long was at it's worse state, or is going down hill, I'm sure he would make some changes for the better. I think he did that by getting rid of your buddy Billy C.

Moral of the story, your negative vibes won't effect the Real Greatest fans. We root, support, cheer, wear red, etc... through the good and the bad, ups and downs. If some of us want to drink the kool aid and take a trip to the hyperbole every once in a while, so be it. Even if the sole reason is to help us to enjoy the offseason a lot more. It beats crying about what hasn't been accomplished in 12-13 years.

Based on the fact that NU's football program has not even won a conference title in about 13 years, and nothing really out of the ordinary has happened in recent years to think that the program has been significantly upgraded, and because it is a long way from no conference championships to national championships, I would have to say that my answer is: unlikely.

I'm sorry when was Stanford's last conference championship........or even national championship..... and yet the expectations for them was a bit different from you the past couple years. And they were lead by, arguably the greatest college QB since.......;)

Here we go with this again............1st he wasn't "ripping into the poster" stop crying. And you don't have to quote, word for word, "I AM AN EXPERT EVERYONE LISTEN TO ME" in order for us to catch the little vibe that you give off in your posts.

Wrong...my Daddy taught me years ago to never let liars get away with lying about you (me in this case). He made a bold lie, as you often do and I called him on it. Simple as that.

2nd Even a 5th would call Bull..... on the logic that a 5th grade would analyze the strength of schedule in the manor that you "claim" the experts aren't doing. I think that's funny because every year I read a mag, watch a ESPN show, listen to sports radio, etc.....this is exact formula the experts say they use when coming up with their polls, rankings, pre-season predictions, etc... and thus it is also the reason why you know the formula, but we are sure you didn't come up with the formula yourself. You show me a group of 5th graders whom can accurately and consistently give us preseason info as these "silly" experts give us every off-season.

Wrong again...this is getting old, but if you re-read my post about 15 times you might get it. I never accused any experts of doing bad analysis. I never criticized Phil Steele. I merely pointed out that the NCAA never actually used any experts to put together their rating and did not use the methods I described, which you think they did use. Go back and review the method used by the NCAA...it is purely statistical from the prior year and does not take into account any of the factors I pointed out, which you apparently agree are the basis for all good analysis. LOL...re-read...take you time...do it several times...you will get it eventually, I promise. `

3rd you might want to re-read Chitown's post again. Nothing you quote prove that his post was wrong. He already pointed out that Steele had our schedule at #25, which is a tougher schedule that 80% of the FBS schools as of course you know there are 124 teams (120 full members, and 4 transitional). So just because you can point out that their are 3 teams in our conference with tougher schedules doesn't make NU's schedule any easier.

He and other Husker fans are just belly aching over the schedule cause they think its brutal and the toughest in the BIG. Same thing they said last year, which proved untrue. This year it's not even true in his own experts analysis. Our schedule is weaker or the same as most of our BIG competition. Let's quit belly-aching like paranoid crybabies and start winning the BIG...THAT is the point.

Last........no one knocks you for not being satisfied with the what has been accomplished thus far or what hasn't been accomplished (in your eyes). No one's asking you to be a die hard supporter of the coaching staff. Cry about it all you want. I just don't understand why you spend so much energy in trying to convince others that we should feel the same way as you. And when we don't agree, you call it "blind faith" (which is kind of redundant). If you actually open your eyes, you will see what the REAL greatest fans are using as a source for having faith in this staff.

Well I see little to no growth in Bo as a HC. I see the program on a downturn when we should be crushing the pathetically weak BIG conference. One of us will be proven correct soon...I actually hope it is you because I believe we are committed to giving Bo far more time than I would like to prove himself. If he's not the right guy, and I don't think he is, I'd prefer we get busy finding Mr. Right sooner rather than later. But don't give me this BS that no one knocks me over my opinions, we both know that isn't true. It's just that I don't really care what any of the blind faithers say. One thing, they get fewer in number every year. If Bo loses 4 or more this year, his critiques will grow significantly. LOL...and, people will be demanding JS save us...maybe he will.

We can give you a run down of things this staff has accomplished that allows us to have excitement for what's to come but you spend so much energy to shoot it down like it means nothing, yet claim that we will do worse in the near future. Like having 9 or more wins the passed 4 seasons. Yes, we could have won more, we should have won more, but 9 or more wins for the passed 4 seasons has only been accomplished by 8 other HCs in the FBS (again 124 teams, equally 124 HCs). And we have the only one of them whom this is their first HC job. We means he's still learning and growing into his position. The recruiting classes are getting stronger. The GPA of the team has gotten better, in a time where top programs across the country are getting penalized for whatever, we still stand for doing things the right way......and I could go on and on....

Bo was hired to win games and championships and to get the team highly rated, into BCS bowl games and into NC contention. Sure, he needs to keep the team off probation and players out of trouble. It's a nice recruiting tool to keep players GPA's up too, but frankly that is the most inconsequential criteria there is for Bo's job. It's like a crutch we can fall back on to boost the "acheivements" of the program. Bo has continued the sellout string, Bo has lots of academic all-american's, Bo runs a clean program, Bo's players stay out of trouble, Bo's players say they love him, Bo only loses 4 games a year. Wahoo. Where are the championships? Oh yeah, there coming...it's only been 4 years...be quite for 5 more year's before you question what's going on. Right.

You and only you see this program as being the worst it's ever been or at least worse than anytime from 1962 to 2001. Last I checked theirs a certain AD in our offices who was around (actually on the sidelines) during that time and if he felt like the program he help to build for so long was at it's worse state, or is going down hill, I'm sure he would make some changes for the better. I think he did that by getting rid of your buddy Billy C.

No. Program was at it's worst in 2007 and 2002. The stupidest thing ever done was hiring SP a guy I knew and despised when he worked at Aksarben racetrack.

Moral of the story, your negative vibes won't effect the Real Greatest fans. We root, support, cheer, wear red, etc... through the good and the bad, ups and downs. If some of us want to drink the kool aid and take a trip to the hyperbole every once in a while, so be it. Even if the sole reason is to help us to enjoy the offseason a lot more. It beats crying about what hasn't been accomplished in 12-13 years.

Nebraskans are very loyal and faithful people, they don't jump ship quickly...when they are right, it works out great, when they are wrong...well...they endure it longer than they should, but they are tougher than most. Problem is even when the writing is on the wall, they cling to their rose colored glasses...I am getting old and don't want to watch our HC continue to perform like a rookie year after year without progress. If he shoes me something...I'll get back on board...but I have little faith that he will, just hope.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back