• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Playoffs? This team? PLAYOFFS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact is that the current system where teams play 12, 13 or 14 games then take a month off and play one more game doesn't make sense...the long week of BCS torture leading up to the National Championship Game needed to go.

Also, the LSU - Alabama regular season game last year was meaningless.

We all wax nostalgic for the excitement when all the big bowl games were on Jan 1 but it is gone forever.

Sometimes change is good. In this case it was needed.

Also, the LSU - Alabama regular season game last year was meaningless.

It was not meaningless when it was played. At that time it was 100% meaningful. The result of that game ended up not affecting the national championship, but that same thing has happened every year since the inception of college football national championships a century ago, whenever a team won the national championship with one or more losses. In each of those cases, the game(s) they lost ended up being meaningless at the end of the season in relation to the national championship. But they weren't meaningless when they were being played. A playoff doesn't render regular season games meaningless when they are being played any more than they were when a national champion was crowned mythically.

Last edited:
In short what you are saying, and what I agree with, is that the1971 NU-OU game would NOT have been rendered meaningless if there were a four team playoff, because the loser very easily could have been knocked out of the playoffs, and almost was. No team wants to take that chance. So despite that Scarlet and all the other Chicken Littles are saying "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" because games will be rendered meaningless, I can tell you that that will very, very rarely happen, if ever. No team is a lock to get into the playoffs with a late season loss, even unbeaten ones. Other one loss teams who lost early in the season and won impressively late in the season could pass them under many, many diffferent scenarios. And again, I say again to all you fans, the coaches and players will never, ever let up in a late season game against a conference rival or in a CCG. Never.

A) Oklahoma would have never have been left out by the proposed "committee."

B) Explain to me how if one has a different point of view and expresses it, one is now a "Worry Wart" or a "Chicken Little."?

C) Let's watch this unfold. It may turn out to be the best thing for college football. Do you honestly think it will be for the better when it inevitably gets to 16 teams? The playoffs most likely will be great. But the fall will be completely watered down. IMHO...and it is alright to express that isn't it?

A) Oklahoma would have never have been left out by the proposed "committee."

B) Explain to me how if one has a different point of view and expresses it, one is now a "Worry Wart" or a "Chicken Little."?

C) Let's watch this unfold. It may turn out to be the best thing for college football. Do you honestly think it will be for the better when it inevitably gets to 16 teams? The playoffs most likely will be great. But the fall will be completely watered down. IMHO...and it is alright to express that isn't it?

The comparison to Chicken Little is because people are already running around saying the sky is falling and that teams are going to start second stringers and not give full effort to win their biggest games of the year because there is a four-team (not 16) playoff, because games will be rendered meaningless. And that is utterly ridiculous.

Anything more than four team playoff is hypothetical and nothing to get your underpants in a wad about at this juncture.

Last edited:

This thing will go to 16 teams. Guaranteed. If you look at last year's regular season ending, BCS standings you'll find there were two four loss teams, five three loss teams, and five two loss teams, in the top 16. Even at eight teams a three loss team would still have made the playoffs. The pucker factor of losing to an Iowa State, or a Appalachian State, or a CU, or a Stanford is gone. That's what made every game in the fall a potential classic.

Is the game going to better for it? That I don't know. But Cardinal does, I'm sure....;)

I keep hearing how CFB is unique...the only thing unique about the current postseason is how uniquely horrible it is.

I welcome a 4-team playoff with hopes for expansion in the future. I want more meaningful games. Not less.

Anything more than four team playoff is hypothetical and nothing to get your underpants in a wad about at this juncture.

C'mon you're a relatively smart guy. Do you really believe that? The precedent has been set how many times now throughout the course of mankind? We are never satisfied. Just look at the basketball tourney. Its at 64 (well 66 right?) teams and the concept of 96 was recently on the table.

The beauty of the current system is that all of those arguments can never be resolved, so teams do their best to bring it, every singe week.

Do players in the lower levels not bring it every week? I can speak from experience and I assure you that they do in fact "bring it every week".

Do players at lowly I-A programs who have no hope of making a bowl game or playing for a conference title not bring it every week?

That's what people said about the BCS. It was a matchup of #1 vs. 2. Be happy. Enjoy the championship game.

But it's never enough for some. Four teams will soon become 8, and I can tell you that it will expand to at least 16 teams in my lifetime (I'm 35).

I hope it happens quicker than just before the end of your lifetime.

You think maybe within a decade? Keeping my fingers crossed.

Needs to go to 8 teams. Really #9......you should have won more games. Hey the smaller colleges do it and yes there are first round blowouts. Can't imagine a college football player who doesn't want the season settled on the field and not a computer or a bunch of sportswriters.

These are college kids........so no the regular season won't be irrelevant. There are also rivalries. Why is college basketball regular season irrelevant??? Cuz they play 34 games!!!! College football 12......... 3x the difference. Too many games to sit through.

That's what people said about the BCS. It was a matchup of #1 vs. 2. Be happy. Enjoy the championship game.

But it's never enough for some. Four teams will soon become 8, and I can tell you that it will expand to at least 16 teams in my lifetime (I'm 35).

Not exactly. When they created the BCS, plenty thought it was flawed from the start, including me. Playoffs were discussed, though not as seriously as now and at least by us fans, but weren't a realistic option.

In short: give this a chance because it at least succeeds at matching the the 4 top teams in a small, manageable way. It's rare that the conversation of "who should be in" goes past 4 teams. It might, and situations like Stanford/Oregon last year may be the new system's Achilles heel. Even with that, this system is light years better than the BCS, and has a good chance of enduring the test of time.

Last edited:

Nothing in this world ever stays the same. In the world of football it will always be evolving. More games, more money. More revenue. More problems. You can bet your bottom dollar that the Television networks will have the last word.

If I had a say in all of this I would shorten the season. Use the existing bowls as part of the tournament. The big thing that is just raising it's head, pardon the pun, is that head injuries and the law suits will change the game as we know it. It will be a battle of the NCAA, the networks, public opinion and lawsuits that will dictate whether the season gets longer or is condensed. This world is all about more restrictions and rules. You ain't seen nothing yet.

The game is about to change in more than one way. Next will be lawsuits of college players and shaken quarterback syndromes. They will, when it is said and done, not go past 8 teams. Realignments have begun and I don't think is anywhere finished. Ten game seasons. Championship games for all concerned just to keep it even and fair as possible. Currently it is not anywhere close to fair. They will have to stop at some point as not to make this a year round season and not create to many numb skulls. They will put limits on contact eventually. The networks will be behind the scenes wanting more. Once the genie is out of his bottle, the game as we now know it will change and not stop anytime soon. The very reason Perlman and others are trying to slow the evolution of the game down.

Eventually the players get paid as compensation for the injuries and another can of worms arrives to create even more change. There are many new dynamics going on in this game currently. A tug of war will result in the courts. Money will have the last word. It's big business now and the game is about to have big changes. Many changing dynamics.

Not exactly. When they created the BCS, plenty thought it was flawed from the start, including me. Playoffs were discussed, though not as seriously as now and at least by us fans, but weren't a realistic option.

In short: give this a chance because it at least succeeds at matching the the 4 top teams in a small, manageable way. It's rare that the conversation of "who should be in" goes past 4 teams. It might, and situations like Stanford/Oregon last year may be the new system's Achilles heel. Even with that, this system is light years better than the BCS, and has a good chance of enduring the test of time.

I provided several different scenarios already that would include more than 4 teams. Using a committee to select the 4 playoff teams is a disaster waiting to happen. You think bowl officials are corrupt? These committee members aren't likely to be saints...

I provided several different scenarios already that would include more than 4 teams. Using a committee to select the 4 playoff teams is a disaster waiting to happen. You think bowl officials are corrupt? These committee members aren't likely to be saints...

Right. They're scenarios, which is a nice way of saying, "wild imaginings of a grim future" :Biggrin:

Sorry, but the facts are this system is, so far, much better thought out than the BCS.

It remains to be seen if they will screw the pooch on it though. So far so good, and I'd take a flawed 4 team playoff over the BCS or the old bowl system any day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back