• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Playoffs? This team? PLAYOFFS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back a few years and using the final rankings we would have had 2010 Auburn-Stanford, TCU-Oregon, 2009 Alabam-TCU, Cincy-Texas, 2008 Oklahoma-Alabama, Florida-Texas, 2007 Ohio State-Oklahoma, LSU-Virginia Tech, 2006 Ohio State-LSU, Florida-Michigan.

They look like good match-ups. I would prefer that the top two teams get to have the game on their home turf, like the pros do. Put the championship game in some sunny spot. Also not too sure about this committee thing. Your have rankings, computers etc, and this group could throw all that out and pick the 4 they want? I am guessing 1-4 will get it most times but could they drop the 4th place team for someone else for whatever reason? That won't cause too much of a controversy.

I think a plus 4 is good. Usually the quality of teams drop significantly from 1-5 compared to 6-10.

My interpretation is that a committee would have those tools available to them and make a decision based on polls, rankings, etc., but also with the human ability to compare head-to-head, SOS rankings, conference strength, other factors, etc.. e.g. See NCAA Basketball Tournament.

My interpretation is that a committee would have those tools available to them and make a decision based on polls, rankings, etc., but also with the human ability to compare head-to-head, SOS rankings, conference strength, other factors, etc.. e.g. See NCAA Basketball Tournament.

Yes, those are advantages of a committee. Another factor the committee can look at is how badly a team beat its opponents. While I don't think margin of victory in any single game is that important (for example if comparing two teams that played the same common opponent), because there are so many variables that go into any single game. I do think that if one team has been consistently beating its equivalent oppenents by wide margins and another team has not, it can be factored. The computers weren't allowed to look at that.

That being said, I am still not convinced a committee for just a four-team playoff is a better idea than using the BCS system of combo of computers and polls. Like thill suggested far above in this thread, the first time the committee decides to exclude a team that is in the top four in both AP and Coaches' polls, in favor of a lower ranked team, the howling is going to be long and loud. Leaving out No. 3 or No. 4 is going to be a lot more upsetting than leaving out No. 10 or 11 or 12 in a 12-team playoff, or No. 67 or 68 in NCAA hoops.

Last edited:
Cardinal,

I agree. It is obvious the blue hairs are putting in a 4 team playoff to appease the all out screaming of the fans, they are only doing it to avoid being dragged over the coals. They know an 8 team is the way to go, but can't stand the thought of saying they were wrong since 1998 and are going to do what the can to avoid the inevitable.

We will have an 8 team playoff in probably 10 years. They will use the 4 major bowls as quarters and probably home field for semis and bid on finals.

My system I have posted many, many times pretty much settles all arguments except teams would lose one home game ($$$$$) but that would be made up with playoffs. :banghead:

Anywho they should play the conf champs games after Thanksgiving, quarters the week after that, semis the next week and then two week break til Jan 1ish champ game.

Seems to work for the smaller division (although the include 16 teams) and start a week earlier. 16 teams is probably not needed but 8 is. I know TO is worried about finals week, but really if you have done your work all semester the final test usually doesn't send you up or down a grade.

So we will have 8 teams but the blue hairs will make us wait.

We're scrapping the fun little things that also help the end result in order to justify a final winner that most won't agree upon to begin with.

Name a sport in which there are playoffs and "most" don't agree with the champion that comes out of that playoff.

The closests situation you will be able to come close to is when the Giants beat the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl and even then most people were completely satisfied with who won the Championship that year

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back