• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Patrick Witt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker Eponymous

Scout Team
10 Year Member
I certainly wouldn't wish his situation on anyone, but does anyone else see the irony of this after all the smack he talked about Nebraska after he left???

Irony? Don't recall any smack.

Sounds like he screwed up and is paying for it...too bad the gal didn't file the police report.

I gotta say I really don't understand this one. An accusation gets him ousted from the Rhodes competition (because Yale wouldn't re-endorse him) but he still gets to play in the Harvard-Yale game held the same day?

And the accusation gets him kicked out of school (maybe? or he left voluntarily?) but not in trouble with the law? I don't get it.

Not good news for anyone, regardless.

Last edited:

Sounds like he screwed up and is paying for it...too bad the gal didn't file the police report.

IIRC he talked about how unintelligent the bumpkins at Nebraska were compared to an Ivy League school.

The only smack was in response to the rumor boards... there were all sorts of allegations out there that he was jacking Cody Green around, giving him misinformation about the offense, etc. Also not taking winter conditioning seriously... Then came the news he was looking... then came the first public statement (it may have been from his dad)... essentially saying much of what was on the boards was wrong and I do recall Witt saying that people would understand when it became known where he was going to transfer. Finally, when the release and transfer became public; the press release was a mutually nice parting of ways (like most Press Releases)... perhaps I won't say anything bad about you if you don't about me... and I'll praise you and you praise me... People can be cynical about it, but that is the classy way to go (you never ever bad mouth a former employer or boss, and vice versa... it says the wrong thing about both parties... a lose lose situation)...

I wasn't all that impressed by the NYT article... It is all in the eye of the beholder... the NYT is one of the worse at telling great stories and conflating people and issues... Witt was neither as great a portrayed in the press and likely not as bad as this scandal... Who ever filed the complaint sure took steps to minimize any scrutiny on their part... No police complaint and the lowest level of complaint at the University (informal)... and someone certainly chose to leak to the press and Rhodes committee despite the fact that it was very low profile complaint...

IMO, this borders on character assassination... and "sexual assault" could constitute a very broad range of bad behavior... the only thing working against the benefit of the doubt for Witt is that he left Yale. But I do wonder, if there was a deal, did it include silence out of Yale? And how did the Times find out?

Last edited:
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://pix04.revsci.net/H07707/b3/0/3/0806180/994555823.js?D=DM_LOC%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.huskermax.com%252Fvbbs%252Fshowthread.php%253F29188-Patrick-Witt%26DM_CAT%3DNYTimesglobal%2520%253E%2520General%26DM_EOM%3D1&C=H07707"></script>
... the only thing working against the benefit of the doubt for Witt is that he left Yale.

Witt, who is 22, is no longer enrolled at Yale. He completed his class work last semester, is working on his senior essay and has been training in California in preparation for a possible N.F.L. career, according to the Yale athletics Web site. Witt did not respond to messages left over several days on his cellphone, his Yale e-mail and his Facebook page.

Not sure how yale works but it reads here that he was done with his course work and is still working on his sr. essay...so it seems like he didn't exactly "Leave" yale.

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://pix04.revsci.net/H07707/b3/0/3/0806180/994555823.js?D=DM_LOC%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.huskermax.com%2Fvbbs%2Fshowthread.php%3F29188-Patrick-Witt%26DM_CAT%3DNYTimesglobal > General%26DM_EOM%3D1&C=H07707"></script>
Not sure how yale works but it reads here that he was done with his course work and is still working on his sr. essay...so it seems like he didn't exactly "Leave" yale.

The "he left Yale" part is coming from the ESPN.com News Services version of the NY Times report. We both know it's not surprising that they got it wrong.

This isn't any different than what I did while writing my graduate thesis. I'm not surprised Yale treats their seniors like graduate students already. I did not have a class to attend, I simply met with my thesis adviser two, maybe three times per month to update her on my research and show her a new draft of the thesis. I was technically in a class, it just didn't require regular attendance or other assigned readings and assignments like most courses. He's still enrolled because he will receive a grade on his senior essay even if it's just pass/fail. (My graduate thesis was judged on a pass/fail basis.) He's probably in a class called Senior Thesis Research or something like that, it just doesn't require class meetings two or three times per week. I wrote a senior essay too but that included an actual class I had to attend two or three times per week.

With video conferencing and other technology available to him it's not surprising Witt isn't in Connecticut much if at all.

Last edited:

The "he left Yale" part is coming from the ESPN.com News Services version of the NY Times report. We both know it's not surprising that they got it wrong.

With video conferencing and other technology available to him it's not surprising Witt isn't in Connecticut much if at all.
My bad... I seem to be getting worse on missing stuff... no excuse that I missed the Times on the senior thesis (while working out for NFL shot - e.g. workouts)... Since it was the third article I read, I might have been "spun" in to reading the wrong conclusion and then brain skipping over the rest of the paragraph... old age and a declining attention span - dangerous...

Anyway... conflate a nice story in to a great story... and then when wasn't there to start with shows up, you can spin the story into a crash... you get two stories out of a non-story...

Last edited:
IMO, this borders on character assassination... and "sexual assault" could constitute a very broad range of bad behavior... the only thing working against the benefit of the doubt for Witt is that he left Yale. But I do wonder, if there was a deal, did it include silence out of Yale? And how did the Times find out?

Where I come from, "no" means "no". If some people would learn this simple lesson, the world would be just a tad bit better. Not a good sign a young lady made an "informal" complaint against him and with so few Rhode scholarships available, easy decision to knock him out. There are consequences to actions in some cases.

So far this is pretty unfortunate for Witt. If I were him or his parents I would be furious because, as the article says, no police report has been filed and the accuser has not filed what the university considers as a formal complaint. She apparently filed an informal complaint.. whatever that is. Really??? That derails a shot at a Rhodes Scholarship and lands the story in articles across the country. This story just smells bad.

Where I come from, "no" means "no". If some people would learn this simple lesson, the world would be just a tad bit better. Not a good sign a young lady made an "informal" complaint against him and with so few Rhode scholarships available, easy decision to knock him out. There are consequences to actions in some cases.

These type of incidents are usually about 50/50. Its usually a "he-said" "she-said" type of situation...and it cannot be assumed that the girl is always telling the whole truth. Not saying Witt is innocent, just saying the court of public opinion is usually way off base on these things.

Last edited:

Their informal process sounds like an invitation to character assassination. I'd get it if the informal process was 100% private for both parties, until either charges were filed or the case was dismissed. But from what I read, it's not. Not saying the woman doesn't have a case -- she may have been violated and just pursuing the best course of action in her mind. It's the way they've set up the process that has me wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back