• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked How Will You Remember Joe Paterno?

How Will You Remember JoePa?

• Legend

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • A great football coach who made some poor decisions

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Enabler

Votes: 23 26.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
Just curious to see what everyone's thoughts are. No need to start up another discussion, just wanted to see a poll.

Last edited:

1. As a man who touched (postively) many lives throughout his life
2. As a coach who's ego could not let him walk away from the game when he should have at least 10 years ago
3. As an administrator who had a hand in everything that went on in State College and thereby should have done something more
4. As a father and husband

As a man that later in his life ruined the lives of many.

other than that he was a football coach.....so not a lot to admire

I feel in Shatel's column this morning he quoted Glen Mason on Woody Hayes and how he ended his career was pretty good. Something along the line of one bad chapter in the whole book and I think that applies to Joe. I am NOT comparing hitting a player and sexual abuse so don't go there the point is Joe did a lot of good and that should be remembered without forgetting what happened at the end.

As a man in a position to change the culture, and instead blamed the system, and never looked deeply into a disturbing situation.

Lest we forget Joe Pa's "shame" didn't start just a couple of months ago....it started over a decade ago when he knew something was wrong and did nothing. How many victims suffered needlessly because he did NOTHING but attempt to protect PSU and HIS reputation ?

Honestly, I probably won't. Even without the scandal, I probably wouldn't have. I also do not think about Bear Bryant or Eddie Robinson.

I'm not sure....

He was stubborn, resistant to change, and it was his way or the highway. That strategy won him alot of games, but anyone who manages to coach for 62 years will compile a bunch of wins. His players were extremely loyal to him...even to a fault. I believe he loved Penn St and gave millions to the school, but he may have cared so much that it impacted his ability to do what was right.

he may have cared so much that it impacted his ability to do what was right.

ThotDoc nails it.

JoePa placed Penn State above everything. It was that belief that led him to decades of success and legendary status among college football's best coaches. It was also that belief that most likely led him to overlook things he shouldn't have. Passing no judgment in regards to his guilt/innocence, I firmly believe that he loved Penn State so much that he probably missed a lot of clues.

Personally, I will remember JoePa's football achievements and contribution to the game. For that I'm thankful.

head-in-the-sand.gif

You gotta admit - despite that being a cartoon from a newspaper in India, they nailed the JoePa outfit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Back