• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked How Will You Remember Joe Paterno?

How Will You Remember JoePa?

• Legend

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • A great football coach who made some poor decisions

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Enabler

Votes: 23 26.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"If a man builds a thousand bridges and..."

Can't post the rest of it on here.

Think how different the news would be today if Joe would have had Sandusky locked up years ago.

I'm more in the Pops and ColoREDo camp here. He was a football coach that could have had a great legacy, perhaps rivaling that of our own Tom Osborne, but instead, stood by and watched things unfold in front of him that he knew were wrong but did nothing. For all the lives he impacted in a positive way, he erased all of that by doing nothing for those boys. I'll also remember him as someone who couldn't walk away from the game when it was time and because of that saw his life go up in flames in only a few months.

I'm more in the Pops and ColoREDo camp here. He was a football coach that could have had a great legacy, perhaps rivaling that of our own Tom Osborne, but instead, stood by and watched things unfold in front of him that he knew were wrong but did nothing. For all the lives he impacted in a positive way, he erased all of that by doing nothing for those boys. I'll also remember him as someone who couldn't walk away from the game when it was time and because of that saw his life go up in flames in only a few months.

I believe this was his M.O. as things pertained to the football program. He joked about how in the old days a kid would get arrested and they would handle it internally. The Sandusky mess was created years in advance from a culture that let it happen. It wasn't JoPa's decision on that day alone, it was years of influence and control and for that reason he was an Enabler.

I will always wonder if his faculties were so dimmed by age that his judgment was affected 10 years ago, when he clearly ignored the behavior, even beyond simply the one direct report. To me that would probably be the only thing that might lessen his responsibility. But even if that is true, his story would be one of a great man who apparently let stubbornness and pride keep him "on the field" well past his time.

And if that isn't true, what he failed to do is unconscionable. How could he have lived and taught one thing for so long, only to overlook a buddy's transgressions? This isn't on anyone else. He betrayed himself.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Back