• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Potential of the Husker Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustlin' Husker

Recruit
5 Year Member
I sometimes think that our Huskers could be the type of program that could combine all of the ideals that everyone sees across the country. We have a small but passionate population base that produces large, well fed, kids of Northern European genetic origin. We have to grab skill players nationally. So my questions is this, does Nebraska have the unique opportunity of being that team that recruits Texas, California, Arizona and Florida better than northern schools, recruits Big Ten country well, and has our walk on base. Do we have a situation where we could potentially combine all of the best things from every region in the United States not in spite of our limited population base, but DUE to our limited population base. Basically, could we combine SEC speed with Big Ten power?

I sometimes think that our Huskers could be the type of program that could combine all of the ideals that everyone sees across the country. We have a small but passionate population base that produces large, well fed, kids of Northern European genetic origin. We have to grab skill players nationally. So my questions is this, does Nebraska have the unique opportunity of being that team that recruits Texas, California, Arizona and Florida better than northern schools, recruits Big Ten country well, and has our walk on base. Do we have a situation where we could potentially combine all of the best things from every region in the United States not in spite of our limited population base, but DUE to our limited population base. Basically, could we combine SEC speed with Big Ten power?

We have done this 50+ years.

I don't know, it's just that there's a lot of negative nancies out there who say that we can't compete for the fast recruits, that we don't have the location that recruits would pick over Southern Cal, Florida, Miami, Alabama, Texas etc. I was just thinking positive for the future, I think that the things that have made the program successful in the past can certainly continue to make us successful in the future.

Thought they did that in the 90's???

Yeah I guess the better question, and the question that I would have is can the program be there again. Can they get back to the point that they were at in 1998 coming off a national title with all of the recruiting power in the country.

Yep - Our offensive line (featuring Choi, Rodriguez, and M. Jones) was chock full of burly white kids fresh off the farm.

If we're going to apply racial and geographical stereotypes to any position, it has to be fullback. Nebraska has a long tradition of white fullbacks from Nebraska. Off the top of my head:

Tom Rathman, Cory Schlesinger, Jeff Makovicka, Joel Makovicka, Judd Davies, Tyler Legate, Billy Legate, C.J. Zimmerer, Paul Kastl, Micah Heibl, Mark Schellen, and many more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back