• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked BCS vs Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the main arguments against a playoff is that it devalues the regular season. Fair point.

I would support a 6-team playoff that features the 6 winners of the BCS conferences - Pac12, ACC, SEC, BigTen, Big 12 and Big East. The top 2 teams could get a first round BYE as well, so you'd actually have even more reason to dominate each game.

This year, it'd look like this:

#6 West Virginia (Big East)
#3 Oregon (Pac12)

#4 Wisconsin (BigTen)
#5 Clemson (ACC)

The two winners would then face #1 LSU and #2 Oklahoma State. Sorry Alabama, you had your chance already.

One of the main arguments against a playoff is that it devalues the regular season. Fair point.

I would support a 6-team playoff that features the 6 winners of the BCS conferences - Pac12, ACC, SEC, BigTen, Big 12 and Big East. The top 2 teams could get a first round BYE as well, so you'd actually have even more reason to dominate each game.

This year, it'd look like this:

#6 West Virginia (Big East)
#3 Oregon (Pac12)

#4 Wisconsin (BigTen)
#5 Clemson (ACC)

The two winners would then face #1 LSU and #2 Oklahoma State. Sorry Alabama, you had your chance already.
Pathetic setup.

Pathetic setup.

I don't agree with you much on the playoff debate, but I agree with you on this. I actually like the idea of giving the top 2 teams a first round bye, makes going undefeated that much more important in a playoff set up. But to have WVU and Clemson playing for a title, and not 'Bama makes such a set up ridiculous.

Bowls are what make college football unique. Now that players will get extra stipends, and you move to a playoff, you pretty much have NFL.

Bring back the glory days of the old bowl alliances. Move all the bowl games back to January 1st, and each bowl will mean something again. You never knew what would happen. It was like March Maddness all in one day!

ESPN, do not ever put bowl games on a stupid Monday when people are going back to work ever ever ever again. You have to be the dumbest people alive to have come up with that.

Multiple national champions= participation ribbons!
When your kids get them do you rip them out of their hands to remind them what losers they are for not winning it all?!?

Cause I'd like to see that.

Even worse, the "fix" now pits 2 teams who've already decided which one was better on a "given day." It's pathetic...and while I can't stand Saban and his crew, I hope the pink elephants win so that absolutely nothing will be resolved...except another :confused: "given day" mine's bigger argument.

Yep. Dumbest match-up ever. It's obvious from the first game that these are two very even teams. I don't need to see it again. If they were using the old conference bowl tie-ins, it would have been possible to have this:

Sugar: LSU vs. Stanford
Cotton: Okie St. vs. 'Bama
Rose: Oregon vs. Wiscy

That's infinitely better than an LSU vs. 'Bama rematch. If the chips fall correctly, 5 teams could have a shot at the title.

Last edited:

The men that support the BCS system need to quit making excuses for this lame system. The ONLY reason they support it is for financial gain. All other major team sports and all other divisions of football determine their champion by a playoff system but we are continually told it simply won't work in Div 1 football. The reasons....Too long of season, the bowl games, ruins the regular season, blah blah blah.....TOTAL BS! For once I want to hear this..."men, I realize that a playoff is a much better system for determining a champion BUT we are driven by GREED and not the desire to fairly determine the best football team".
:soapbox:

Why is rewarding a team that wins 3 or 4 games in a row a better system to determine the best team in football, than considering how the team played over the course of a full season?

Why is rewarding a team that wins 3 or 4 games in a row a better system to determine the best team in football, than considering how the team played over the course of a full season?

Well...For example...I guess the fact that we have had to debate our '94 MNC ever since. Had we played PSU we could put it to rest! Instead we can "consider" how the teams played over the course of the full season for eternity. Objective instead of subjective. I find it hard to believe that if a better system was available (vs playoffs) every other sport wouldn't be using it. IF you tell me that you prefer the history of the bowl system and don't mind a controversial champion I can respect that....it's just not my preference.

So should a bowl game be used to determine a national champion? One could say LSU should be the most upset team, because they have to prove twice that they are better than 'Bama.

Well...For example...I guess the fact that we have had to debate our '94 MNC ever since. Had we played PSU we could put it to rest! Instead we can "consider" how the teams played over the course of the full season for eternity. Objective instead of subjective. I find it hard to believe that if a better system was available (vs playoffs) every other sport wouldn't be using it. IF you tell me that you prefer the history of the bowl system and don't mind a controversial champion I can respect that....it's just not my preference.
The debate and uncertainty is what sets CFB apart and makes it so great! Why anyone would want to ruin that for the sake of being like "everyone else" reeks of communism!

The debate and uncertainty is what sets CFB apart and makes it so great! Why anyone would want to ruin that for the sake of being like "everyone else" reeks of communism!

We now know that Red is (a) NOT an accountant, (b) Very likely an attorney and (c) likely to have owned something tie-dyed. :)

I am not saying the Bowl system is perfect though obviously there has been improvements since 1994. While most other major sports use a playoff system, it doesn't mean the best team wins it. Do you really think Giants were a better team than the Patriots in 2007 (better team not better for one game). Heck in 1997 Arizona won the National Championship in basketball after finishing 5th in their own conference. I am not saying the BCS is better than playoff but I think the best overall team is more often the champion than in other sports. Despite a pontential controversial champion I love the importance it places on an entire season. It makes a Labor Day weekend game between Boise St. and Georgia much more meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back