• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Uniform Thread

Red uniform top is about as good as it gets for me. The whites are fine, but feel pretty basic, especially when they wear them with white pants.
Nearly every sports team out there has to wear a white jersey often. Often, in football it’s a road game. In baseball it’s a home game, mostly. I’d love to see NU on the road in all whites, black shoes, and a red helmet, white N, white stripe and grey face mask. To me, that’s a bad ass road uni.

I can live with most anything on the uniforms as long as the solid solo block N remains on the helmet, not mucked up with anything else. That is our symbol, like it or not. I'd hate to lose that.

It as distinctive to us as is that flying frontspiece on the Michigan helmets - that says Michigan. Our block N standing alone says Nebraska cornhuskers.

I love the Huskers road unis, when they have on black shoes. IMO, the NU road uni, is one of the best out there. Classic, tough look. I like them better than the home uni.

I really liked watching Derek Brown run wearing the black shoes.

s-l1200.jpg

I want to tap the magnificent brain trust on HuskerMax. Why is football the only team home jersey that is red? Volleyball and both men's and women's basketball usually wear white uniforms. Why doesn't the home team always wear red? A volleyball game at the Devaney against Wisconsin (dressed in red) and our team in white, yelling Go Big Red doesn't seem right. Go Big Red just sounds better when you are cheering for the home team when the home team is wearing red. Go Big White just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I want to tap the magnificent brain trust on HuskerMax. Why is football the only team home jersey that is red? Volleyball and both men's and women's basketball usually wear white uniforms. Why doesn't the home team always wear red? A volleyball game at the Devaney against Wisconsin (dressed in red) and our team in white, yelling Go Big Red doesn't seem right. Go Big Red just sounds better when you are cheering for the home team when the home team is wearing red. Go Big White just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Doesn't really anwser your question, but thought this was interesting:
Football archaeology
...the NFL only required visitors to wear light-colored jerseys in 1957 to lessen the frustration of fans watching games on black-and-white televisions that made two teams wearing dark jerseys virtually indistinguishable. The NCAA, which had required contrasting jersey colors since 1949, did not implement a similar light-versus-dark rule until 1983, long after every school adopted the practice and color televisions made the new rule unnecessary.

Last edited:
Nearly every sports team out there has to wear a white jersey often. Often, in football it’s a road game. In baseball it’s a home game, mostly. I’d love to see NU on the road in all whites, black shoes, and a red helmet, white N, white stripe and grey face mask. To me, that’s a bad ass road uni.
Yes in football, road unis are white. Just not a huge fan of white uniform tops in football (I think they look good in other sports). I thought the chrome ones were a good way to tastefully spice up a uniform that I don't care as much for.

This isn't unique to Nebraska.

Basketball and Baseball teams wear white at home, while Football and Hockey wear white on the road.

Traditionally the reason I've heard is that it was easier for the home team to keep their whites sparkly clean. "Road grays" was a thing in baseball would visiting teams would ride trains for 2 weeks while playing a couple of away series. Easier to keep the grays clean when you're away from a laundry facility.

I have no idea why that logic didn't apply to football. The sport is just as old as baseball and much muddier.

Personally, I prefer colors for the home team.

And yes, there are notable exceptions. LSU and Georgia Tech football wear white a lot at home. Same for the Dallas Cowboys. And the NBA is full of exceptions like the Lakers wearing yellow (not white) most of the time.

Basketball and Baseball teams wear white at home, while Football and Hockey wear white on the road.

Traditionally the reason I've heard is that it was easier for the home team to keep their whites sparkly clean. "Road grays" was a thing in baseball would visiting teams would ride trains for 2 weeks while playing a couple of away series. Easier to keep the grays clean when you're away from a laundry facility.

I have no idea why that logic didn't apply to football. The sport is just as old as baseball and much muddier.

And yes, there are notable exceptions. LSU and Georgia Tech football wear white a lot at home. Same for the Dallas Cowboys. And the NBA is full of exceptions like the Lakers wearing yellow (not white) most of the time.
rule.png

Here is the NCAA rule that outlines jersey colors. Visiting team must wear white, unless agreed to by the conference and home school.

View attachment 106079
Here is the NCAA rule that outlines jersey colors. Visiting team must wear white, unless agreed to by the conference and home school.

Yep.

Technically when USC-UCLA play and they both wear Home jerseys it's an NCAA violation.

The visitor is docked a timeout at the beginning of each half. Typically, the Home team has responded by immediately burning one of their timeouts right after the opening kick.

That kind of chivalry is why I love CFB.

Plus the Red-vs-Blue jerseys look amazing.

Last edited:
Yep.

Technically when USC-UCLA play and they both wear Home jerseys it's an NCAA violation.

The visitor is docked a timeout at the beginning of each half. Typically, the Home team has responded by immediately burning one of their timeouts right after the opening kick.

Yep.

That was only the case for the 2008 game, and after that the rule was changed to allow them both to wear the home colors.

Hockey used to wear white jerseys at home, but then switched it up in the early 2000s.

Thank you for the education. I, too, prefer the colors of the home team worn for home games. Now if we can get the men's and women's basketball teams and the volleyball team to see it our way.

Yep.

That was only the case for the 2008 game, and after that the rule was changed to allow them both to wear the home colors.

Hockey used to wear white jerseys at home, but then switched it up in the early 2000s.
Yep, if you'll note on the rule I posted that it is fine as long as the home team and conference agree to it, and they're contrasting colors.

Has State Penn ( sorry....Penn State ) ever had an alternate uniform done?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back