• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fixing the B1G/SEC Mess

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
The B1G and SEC should just do this. It protects a whole lot of rivalries and keeps plenty of good games on TV. The best part is that I didn't kick anyone out of either conference (Yes, Northwestern gets to live) and I didn't need to swap any B1G/SEC teams.

Added bonus that it cleanly draws the two conferences across state lines for you geography neat-nicks.

• 56 teams
  • 2 conferences (28 teams each)
  • 4 divisions per conference (7 teams each)

• 12 Game Regular season. Play the six other teams in your division, and at least four more games within your conference.
  • The two remaining games can be against the other conference. Protected rivalries can be a thing, either cross-divisionally (Alabama-Tennessee) or out-of-conference (NU-OU).
  • Top 8 divisional winners advance to a playoff.
  • If there's some strange world where the Big XII, ACC, G5 conferences, etc., still exist, than the playoff can be 12-16 teams.

9xYFnMZ.png

Last edited:

The B1G and SEC should just do this. It protects a whole lot of rivalries and keeps plenty of good games on TV. The best part is that I didn't kick anyone out of either conference (Yes, Northwestern gets to live) and I didn't need to swap any B1G/SEC teams.

Added bonus that it cleanly draws the two conferences across state lines for you geography neat-nicks.

• 56 teams

• 12 Game Regular season. Play the six other teams in your division, and at least four more games within your conference.
  • The two remaining games can be against the other conference. Protected rivalries can be a thing, either cross-divisionally (Alabama-Tennessee) or out-of-conference (NU-OU).
  • If there's some strange world where the Big XII, ACC, G5 conferences, etc., still exist, than the playoff can be 12-16 teams.

9xYFnMZ.png
Good work. 8 Division winners advance, throw in 4 to 8 at large bids (12 or 16 team playoffs) and you've got a good plan. Better than most I've seen.

I guess it'd work, but there are way too many P5 teams that aren't going to want to exit, there's tradition, competition and rivalries that can't just go away. I think a 112 team and maybe 4 conferences may be better.

I guess it'd work, but there are way too many P5 teams that aren't going to want to exit, there's tradition, competition and rivalries that can't just go away. I think a 112 team and maybe 4 conferences may be better.

Yeah, they can play in whatever ACC/XII thing is left over. Their champs can get into a playoff, too.

I just see the B1G/SEC getting greedy and grabbing the top 50-60 teams.

Nice effort, but no Kansas or KSU or Iowa State? TCU but not Tech, or Houston Or Baylor. Utah but not BYU. Syracuse but not BC? Why not add those 8 and then you can have 64 teams with 8 eight team divisions? Better math, no?

• 56 teams

9xYFnMZ.png
That New England Division would be weaker than the B1G West last year.

I don't like any of this, it's just silly at this point. Just have one great big division, all 133 teams in a single conference, problem solved. That's kind of how dorky I think these super conferences are, it's just not college football as we all knew it, it's not a better product.

Also, i dont think there is any appetite to do all SEC/BIG schedules. that would take away home games and given that most of the teams will fill their stadium and still get on tv, the tv dollars wont offset the loss of revenue from not having some home games.

It appears divisions are set up basically in the same manner that forced the B1G to get rid of them.

4 teams rated in the top 14 in the Great Lakes division but only 24th……and over ranked at that …..Iowa in the heartland division.

Take out Arizona, ASU, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma State, TCU, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Cal, Stanford, Duke, Louisville, NC State, and Georgia Tech.

That's D1

The remaining teams drop down to the poor kids division.

• 56 teams

9xYFnMZ.png
Problem with this is the strength and weakness of each of these divisions. Heartland and New England divisions are pretty weak. Meanwhile, you have Michigan, OSU, Notre Dame, and Penn State all in the same division. SEC is similar with a very weak Atlantic division.

College sports is moving further away from geography being a defining factor. They'll hold on to rivalries that are good for the sport, but otherwise geography won't be nearly as big of a factor.

Been saying it a while now

SEC and BIG will join hands

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back