• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The impact of losing Phillip Simpson

Local As Shuck

Recruit
5 Year Member
Nebraska lost an analyst. The writer of the article gives lots of credit to Simpson for our recruiting success in Florida during this last cycle. He goes so far as to say:

“Nebraska football did a stellar job recruiting the state of Florida in the 2024 class. One reason for that was the addition of Philip Simpson, a former high school head coach from Miami.

Simpson was a huge catalyst for Nebraska football in South Florida and his presence on the staff paid off with commitments from guys like Amare Sanders, Larry Tarver Jr., and Vincent Shavers, along with Willis McGahee IV”

I’m so confused. Help me out here! Simpson was a defensive quality control analyst. Does someone in the position have any impact on recruiting?
Educate me please.

Nebraska lost an analyst. The writer of the article gives lots of credit to Simpson for our recruiting success in Florida during this last cycle. He goes so far as to say:

“Nebraska football did a stellar job recruiting the state of Florida in the 2024 class. One reason for that was the addition of Philip Simpson, a former high school head coach from Miami.

Simpson was a huge catalyst for Nebraska football in South Florida and his presence on the staff paid off with commitments from guys like Amare Sanders, Larry Tarver Jr., and Vincent Shavers, along with Willis McGahee IV”

I’m so confused. Help me out here! Simpson was a defensive quality control analyst. Does someone in the position have any impact on recruiting?
Educate me please.

He knew the coaches, those coaches trusted him, the players trust their coaches.
Nebraska still had to sell themselves, but with Simpson and Coop they had a huge in.
Now let's see how the Bootles, Barney, Magahee, Sanders and Shaver recruits feel when they go back home, plus Coop made some headway as well.

Although he can. Not talk to recruits. He can talk to coaches. Coaches are often the best resource for finding under the radar guys. They also can give you an idea of where a kids head is. As an example, player A has told the coach he wants to stay in FL no matter what. Well no need to chase that kid. We do not have a shot. Player B is only interested in P5 programs location is irrelevant. That is a kid to spend time money and effort on. All from the coach.

Coaches are also either allies, opposition or neutral. A contact who they know can make them at least neutral if they are initially opposed.

I don’t have any facts here but using some rational…..I believe this writer might be over stating this individual’s contribution. Yea he might know some coaches down there. So do a couple hundred other coaches including most of the SEC and ACC. There is much more to convincing players to attend Nebraska than having an analyst (who the kid has likely never met) on staff that isn’t likely to be around very long and likely to never have contact with the player.

As far as myself not having any facts to back up my opinion, neither does the author.

N2FL says Simpson offered Tarver for NU (at least that's how I read the writeup in the N2FL series). So he seemed to be able to hand out offers to prospects.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back