• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Potential issues with the employee model

It could easily become anti trust, so to avoid it it was done this way.
While sometimes there's no definitive scenario for potential anti trust potential sometimes there are.
still not sure how a dad being his sons boss falls under antitrust. i know in ferentz case, state law prohibits a employee boss relationship to exist and thats why brian reported to the AD officially. i mean maybe, in a very loose definition if iowa has a antitrust law, they could be sued for the hiring process. but that sounds iffy.....

still not sure how a dad being his sons boss falls under antitrust. i know in ferentz case, state law prohibits a employee boss relationship to exist and thats why brian reported to the AD officially. i mean maybe, in a very loose definition if iowa has a antitrust law, they could be sued for the hiring process. but that sounds iffy.....
It may prohibit true competition

im skeptical that would be a win in court as the whole coaches hiring process is subjective.
That is dependent on the AD. Barta allowed for Brian. We allowed SF leeway for his entire staff. New AD, that changed.
If there was corruption between AD and HC it would have to apply

im sure as part of the advisory committee the big-sec formed to work on legislation that allows them to get an antitrust exemption from congress, title 9 will factor in to those discussions......
It's not the antitrust stuff that's the big issue, how do you compensate employees across the board and force a school to hire people it's going to lose money on?

I'm not sure there's a fix here.

Here’s something that crossed my mind today.

Presently, in order to recruit a coach has to pass an NCAA test.

If they are employees, you can hire professional recruiters. What is going to happen when colleges start hiring consultants like Employbridge or Apex Staffing or findanerd.com or some other head hunter that promises the world but actually provides jack squat?
That's about what we have with NIL right now. But I don't see why a "search" firm couldn't be used.

There won't be an ncaa that governs football, imo. I think they break from that.

It's not the antitrust stuff that's the big issue, how do you compensate employees across the board and force a school to hire people it's going to lose money on?

I'm not sure there's a fix here.
Thats why I think there'll be some kind of two tiered system. Amateur and professional. You can't share whats not there. Making money is paramount to NIL. If NIL is somehow tied to a university then the expectations of those profits the universities expect to receive returns.

If a player is their own entity separate from the university there is no leverage against, more a partnership for, and then comes the meddling from other schools and third party NIL deal makers and payers.
My take is fans don't want the player uni partnership to end obviously and to protect that above all else is again paramount, to use that against the potential corruption.
Moving to employees while maintaining that partnership while separating profitable professional from amateur non profit is no easy thing.

I provided a league that has an antitrust exemption…relax.
I'm asking what that has to do with cfb. I know league's have AT exemptions.

I don't know how that applies to cfb with employees and other non-revenue generating sports.

Bigger issue is for the athletes themselves.

Now with NIL each athlete has the right to individual negotiations for NIL.

As "employees" and the addition of potential "unions" each individual will have to conform to what the group gets negotiated for them.

With of course a 10% rake off for the "Big Guy" (Union).....

Finding out that they are "employees" is not good news for college athletes, now that NIL is so wide open and with the Transfer Portal in place.

Oh, by the way, can "employees" just "leave" their place of "employment", i.e. that is how does this effect the Transfer Portal use? Inquiring minds want to know.........

Last edited:

Bigger issue is for the athletes themselves.

Now with NIL each athlete has the right to individual negotiations for NIL.

As "employees" and the addition of potential "unions" each individual will have to conform to what the group gets negotiated for them.
I'm not sure this is correct. Wouldn't they still be allowed to have their own NIL deals. Professional sports people negotiate their own. Not to mention there is no guarantee they will even belong to a Union. The Union would have to first organize or fall under the umbrella of another established Union but not all states require participation in that Union. They can opt out.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back