• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Zavier Betts Shares Why He Returned To Nebraska Football

Judd Davies and Mike Stuntz from Solich's time, and Tom Heiser from the early 70s with some quick Google Fu.

Demonstrative of the significant levels of academic achievement for Husker players. Goes to show what coaches who care about academics can help young men and women achieve.

The number of Academic All Americans at NU is one of my favorite records.

I'm curious how many of TOs players went on to get doctorate degrees. Pat Tyrance and Jamie Williams come to mind.
I took a class with Pat Tyrance at Harvard. I was at the School of Government and he was at the Medical School, but he was taking a class on Medical Public Policy. He struck me as being a pretty sharp guy.

I was also struck by how relatively small he was at the time. I think he was around 230-235 as a player, but when I knew him at Harvard he didn't weigh more than 180-185 or maybe even a little less. If you didn't know him, you would have never guessed at one time he played football for a major D1 program. Just goes to show how the players during TO's day took the weight training and diet routines seriously.

I took a class with Pat Tyrance at Harvard. I was at the School of Government and he was at the Medical School, but he was taking a class on Medical Public Policy. He struck me as being a pretty sharp guy.

I was also struck by how relatively small he was at the time. I think he was around 230-235 as a player, but when I knew him at Harvard he didn't weigh more than 180-185 or maybe even a little less. If you didn't know him, you would have never guessed at one time he played football for a major D1 program. Just goes to show how the players during TO's day took the weight training and diet routines seriously.

You also see that all the time when offensive lineman retire from college or the NFL. Many drop serious weight and almost look unrecognizable.

Alan Fanaca is most likely one of the extreme examples.

fanecasbs.jpg

Last edited:

You also see that all the time when offensive lineman retire from college or the NFL. Many drop serious weight and almost look unrecognizable.

Alan Fanaca is most likely one of the extreme examples.

fanecasbs.jpg

Mark Schlereth worked out at the same gym as I did when we lived in Colorado and while he was still a big man, he had to be 50-60 pounds under his sub 300lb playing weight.

I loved to eat when I was younger and always lifting and trying to get bigger, but I can't imagine the amount of food I'd have had to eat and the amount of extra bad weight I'd have had to carry to get at and stay at 225+....naturally.

I was on the same Shrine Bowl team as Tyrance. Saw him the first day and he had his shirt off. He looked like he had already been in the NU weight program for 4 years. Ripped. No one else compared to him.

I was on the same Shrine Bowl team as Tyrance. Saw him the first day and he had his shirt off. He looked like he had already been in the NU weight program for 4 years. Ripped. No one else compared to him.
I speak from experience when I say that graduate programs at Harvard don't leave you with a lot of free time to spend at the gym. If I wasn't in class, I was reading and prepping for the next day's classes. I'm sure Pat Tyrance was going through the same thing at the Medical School.

I love redemption stories as they show other kids that they can do it too. While I am looking for good things from the other receivers, I am hoping this young man has his moments of some big games.

I speak from experience when I say that graduate programs at Harvard don't leave you with a lot of free time to spend at the gym. If I wasn't in class, I was reading and prepping for the next day's classes. I'm sure Pat Tyrance was going through the same thing at the Medical School.
Something to certainly be proud of, regardless of major. My brother in law went to Harvard (medical) and heard his stories of pure exhaustion and the requirement for complete and utter commitment. Dude is genius IQ and still struggled to get through the process.

The drive to succeed can come from within as well. Agree on proving others wrong as a motivator, but hopefully a byproduct of this process will be the foundation for self confidence and strength that transcends the game and lasts a lifetime.

True, is the player motivated primarily by extrinsic or intrinsic forces? The reality is everyone is different. Is he overconfident or under-confident?

One player with an oppositional personality and strong will may respond to being told he can't do it, won't make it. A different player might be crushed by that--, "Coach doesn't believe in me!" He may need unconditional support, belief and encouragement to maximize his talents.

As a psychologist I studied all-pro NFL players who weren't even all that competitive. They were drawn to doing hard things and striving for perfection on every play. They graded themselves against their own standards of perfection and while they wanted to win, it wasn't the driving force for their elite performance.

A great coach tinkers with his or her approach to each player. What works? There is no one, universal right way.

True, is the player motivated primarily by extrinsic or intrinsic forces? The reality is everyone is different. Is he overconfident or under-confident?

One player with an oppositional personality and strong will may respond to being told he can't do it, won't make it. A different player might be crushed by that--, "Coach doesn't believe in me!" He may need unconditional support, belief and encouragement to maximize his talents.

As a psychologist I studied all-pro NFL players who weren't even all that competitive. They were drawn to doing hard things and striving for perfection on every play. They graded themselves against their own standards of perfection and while they wanted to win, it wasn't the driving force for their elite performance.

A great coach tinkers with his or her approach to each player. What works? There is no one, universal right way.
The challenge is the challenge, motivation. Navy seals live this.

Great post!! When talking about the bolded, I know I was highly motived by extrinsic factors. Nothing more satisfying for me then to prove someone wrong. Although I was personally driven by my own goals (including W's), when I was not as motivated as I should have been, it was those external forces that kicked me in the butt. Didn't need a coach to yell at me. I wholeheartedly attribute overachievement in most things in my life to this mindset. But don't get me wrong, winning was 1B on my list of motivating factors.

But you are so, so correct about "what works." Having coached over 25 years, you learn that each kid is different. It's all about peeling back the layers of the onion to understand what motivates a kid and how do you harness that. In simpler terms, some kids need a kick in the ass, while others need to coddled (and everywhere in between). Frost appeared to have struggled with this facet of coaching, while Rhule appears to understand the psychology behind getting the most out of his players.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back