• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Time change: HUSKERS HOST ILLINI - SUN - 3/26/23 - 2:30CT - Haymarket Park - Going for the Sweep!!

I keep reminding people of this, but we tend to slip into the negativity so easily as of late.

I think it’s because we got so used to winning in husker football….. we just expect it.

And this last decade has been a total shock and pretty awful for husker sports, except girls volleyball, baseball, and a couple other bright spots.

The other problem is the game itself…Baseball. People just have a hard time wrapping their head around a concept that a REALLY good and dangerous team might be just a shade above .500.

And 2 of 3 gets you where you want to wind up… and then it’s a crap shoot whoever is ”hot” and stays hot In the post season.
I am not being negative, John. It is what it is. Again, we cannot expect our 2 aces to win every week. I know it is possible, but you just can't sit back and accept that will happen. Facing reality is not being negative. I just feel it will take more than what is happening to win a conference title.

Last edited:

I for one don’t believe that to be a guarantee. The automatic bid goes to the conf tournament winner. I give us little shot at that as you need at least 4 good arms.

Our RPI will take a huge hit with all the midweek losses to the sisters of the blind. Also Olson and Kaminska give us a great chance at two wins, but that is no guarantee. It also isn’t a guarantee that we lose on Sundays, but sure
seems likely right now.
Nice to know, I am not the only one who worries about having a third starter who can help carry us to a conference title, etc. And, as you say, you feel we need 4 good arms. Right now, good luck with that! GBR!!

I just feel it will take more than what is happening, to win a conference title.
I don’t think you guys are negative….

I just see a trend in Husker Fans overall turning quicker to the negative side at the first signs of trouble….tend to see the bad side over the good side….quickly.

Football has burned us badly…. And folks are ANGRY.

Understandable when you win for over half a century….then go completely south…

It ABSOLUTELY will take more than two solid pitchers to win a BiG title and get us in the dance. Going to take a TEAM.

I just choose to look at the positive indicators more than the negative.

As I said…This is who I am…it’s how I try to look at the world daily. Keeps me sane and looking forward to the next day. At the beginning of my Army career, I had some bad times and was in a dark place for a bit. A sergeant who was the most positive individual I had ever met helped me. He changed my life. I try to emulate him every day.

Plus…there is nothing I can do to affect the baseball situation except support the boys as best I can.

If folks don’t think kids read about what is being said about them folks have never coached in HS or above.

If my “positiveness” is irritating some of you guys I can try to tone it down.

But I kinda am what I am….

Also, I absolutely stand by my statement that 2 of 3 will get you where you want to go in baseball. And after that…it’s a crap shoot.

Last edited:

Can you guarantee that Emmett and Jace win every game they pitch?
I would love that but can it be guaranteed?

I don't need to guarantee it, you said...

we can get out of this doldrum before the season is a 2-out-of-3-at-the -most each conference series we play.

So I replied to that. If you want to change your prior stance then leave me out of it.

Here's some perspective...

2021 thru 22 games = 15-7 (5-0-1 in weekend series, 0 sweeps) (2 sweeps all season, that's it)

2023 thru 22 games = 13-8-1 (5-1 in weekend series, 1 sweep, 6-1 in overall series)

*And before anyone attempts to claim they thought 2021 would be a special team after 22 games - I'll be more than happy to go and bump a ton of the game threads and regular threads as well from 2021 - at this same point (22 games) in the season.

2021 thru 22 games = 15-7 (5-0-1 in weekend series, 0 sweeps) (2 sweeps all season, that's it)

2023 thru 22 games = 13-8-1 (5-1 in weekend series, 1 sweep, 6-1 in overall series)

*And before anyone attempts to claim they thought 2021 would be a special team after 22 games - I'll be more than happy to go and bump a ton of the game threads and regular threads as well from 2021 - at this same point (22 games) in the season.
Record wise we are similar.

Starting pitching and batting might even be similar (batting likely better). I don’t think we ever had bullpen concerns even remotely similar to what we have now though.

Other than Shay, I pretty much cringe at anybody else coming in to relieve, and we don’t have a sunday or midweek starter.

So some similarities, but we have alot more unknowns in pitching at this point than we did in 2021. What I wouldn’t give to have Schwelly back right now.

Record wise we are similar.

Starting pitching and batting might even be similar (batting likely better). I don’t think we ever had bullpen concerns even remotely similar to what we have now though.

Other than Shay, I pretty much cringe at anybody else coming in to relieve, and we don’t have a sunday or midweek starter.

So some similarities, but we have alot more unknowns in pitching at this point than we did in 2021. What I wouldn’t give to have Schwelly back right now.

The difference between 2021 and 2023 bullpens, from a final result standpoint, is 2021 Schwellenbach had 4 saves, 0 wins and 0 losses where 2023 Schanaman has 2 saves, 1 win and 2 losses. There's the difference in records. We had some really bad bullpen outings in 2021 in the first 22 games and people were all over Christy then as well; Schreiber 1 IP & 2 runs, Olson 1/3 IP & 2 runs, Diederich 0 IP & 2 runs, Olson 1 IP & 2 runs, Mason 0 IP & 3 runs, Bragg 2/3 IP & 2 runs, Bragg 1 IP & 3 runs. And more. But I will side a little with your point.

Let's also not forgot the bullpen blew the Rutgers series with atrocious outings on Friday with a lead after the 6th & Saturday with a 5-1 lead after the 7th they blew. But, that wasn't the first 22 games so it's kind of irrelevant to this perspective reminder.

Sure, there are more unknowns this season which is a valid point. We also had more rest time in 2021 while not worrying about midweek games. It's something to keep in mind as well...

Last edited:

You need to calm down my dear friend.This is a friendly forum. You get all angry for nothing.You have your opinion and I have. my opinion, that's fine, but don't get all riled up... it's not worth it.
DB agrees with me. We all have our opinions. Don't read too much into our opinions. GBR!

You need to calm down my dear friend.This is a friendly forum. You get all angry for nothing.

I'm not angry. I have little patience for people that say one thing - realize they're wrong - then attempt to change their stance. That's exactly what you did, and it happens a lot.

DB didn't agree with your initial response. But hey, keep changing stance a d everyone will eventually agree with ya.

I'm not angry. I have little patience for people that say one thing - realize they're wrong - then attempt to change their stance. That's exactly what you did, and it happens a lot.

DB didn't agree with your initial response. But hey, keep changing stance a d everyone will eventually agree with ya.
What do you mean I change my mind?

Are you having a bad day? Get off my back! I don't need your rancor!!

Last edited:

I don't need to guarantee it, you said...

So I replied to that. If you want to change your prior stance then leave me out of it.
I still have no idea what in the world you are talking about!! I was worried about not having a good, third pitcher. I still do. So, what is your beef?
BTW, if you cannot converse about this without being so hot headed, keep it to yourself.

Last edited:
What do you mean I change my mind?

You want us to (exact quote) "get out of this doldrum before the season is a 2-out-of-3-at-the -most each conference series we play" (all your words). I pointed out winning 2 of 3 every weekend will get us a B1G championship the you ask if I can guarantee Olson & Kaminska winning every weekend.

Winning 2 of 3 isn't a doldrum, it's what every single college baseball team wants to do on the weekend. Winning 2 of 3 is a successful weekend. It doesn't matter who wins what game, win 2 and move on.

Are you having a bad day? Mark. Get off my back! I don't need your rancor!!

No, I have little patience for dumb, unreasonable comments. And quite frankly Bob, you have quite a few of them.

Last edited:

You want us to (exact quote) "get out of this doldrum before the season is a 2-out-of-3-at-the -most each conference series we play" (all your words). I pointed out winning 2 of 3 every weekend will get us a B1G championship the you ask if I can guarantee Olson & Kaminska winning every weekend.

Winning 2 of 3 isn't a doldrum, it's what every single college baseball team wants to do on the weekend. Winning 2 of 3 is a successful weekend. It doesn't matter who wins what game, win 2 and move on.

No, I have little patience for dumb, unreasonable comments. And quite frankly Bob, you have quite a few of them.
Quite immature of you! What are you? 10? :Wave:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back