• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Anthony Grant Suspended

I think Grant behind a decent offensive line would be a pretty special player. He's got some of the best change in direction speed I've seen. Not sure he is going to outrun everyone in the open field, but he can be illusive. Just don't think he got an opportunity to really showcase that because our line wasn't opening lanes up.
I think he is a solid player, he just isn’t a difference maker. There are a lot of backs like him. Doesn’t mean he can’t succeed, possibly even in the pros. Lots of good backs in the NFL, but 4-5 backs in the NFL separate themselves from the pack. Doesn’t mean they aren’t any good. I think Ervin is better. Grant dances too much for me, which oftentimes can result in a loss of yards. I liked him better the first 3-4 games, after that, his play was sporadic. It’s easy to blame the OL. Nearly everything has been blamed on the OL.

I think he is a solid player, he just isn’t a difference maker. There are a lot of backs like him. Doesn’t mean he can’t succeed, possibly even in the pros. Lots of good backs in the NFL, but 4-5 backs in the NFL separate themselves from the pack. Doesn’t mean they aren’t any good. I think Ervin is better. Grant dances too much for me, which oftentimes can result in a loss of yards. I liked him better the first 3-4 games, after that, his play was sporadic. It’s easy to blame the OL. Nearly everything has been blamed on the OL.
There's a reason for that.

They were historically bad.

Few of the men who play D-1 ball will make a living playing professional ball. So my hope for Grant is that he starts to see that what he learns in the classrom may help him lead a good life sometime in the future if his hopes of playing pro ball don't develop. I see these guys as having many parts to their lives, and while football is what we care about on this board most of all, I hope they appreciate it is not the only thing that is important.

I also feel he can be are a real contributor on the team. Its a long season and RBs get banged up.

He definitely could be more disciplined to his running lanes. Need to be patient and understand that sometimes a 3-4 yard carry is all you need. I think he has the tools to be a really good back (in an already deep running back room).

OL is blamed for a lot because line play is the bedrock of the offense. We could be deficient in a number of other areas offensively, but it is hard to truly evaluate them when the OL was bad. Solving the OL doesn't automatically make everyone on the field great, but them being bad certainly helps prevent them from being great.

Cycle of Nebraska fans.
1. Players are not being held accountable, coach needs to set the tone.
2. Player X is not meeting the standard and sitting out. What is going on?
3. Player X is our best player at Y position why is he not playing?
4. Player x leaves team because he does not meet standard. Why do our coaches chase away the best players?
5. End of season. See step 1.

As sure as the three alt uniform threads in the off season. This cycle will be repeated.
I think you forgot #4.5: Player x leaves team because he does not meet standard or decides to transfer. He's a scrub who wasn't going to start anyway.

He definitely could be more disciplined to his running lanes. Need to be patient and understand that sometimes a 3-4 yard carry is all you need. I think he has the tools to be a really good back (in an already deep running back room).

OL is blamed for a lot because line play is the bedrock of the offense. We could be deficient in a number of other areas offensively, but it is hard to truly evaluate them when the OL was bad. Solving the OL doesn't automatically make everyone on the field great, but them being bad certainly helps prevent them from being great.
I understand and agree about the OL. My point is, everything was bad, which can have an effect on how anyone plays. When you’re losing a lot, you kinda just grind thru the motions. Human nature. Defense gives up a quick score, a beaten OL comes out again, no rest. Yeah, lots went into the issues this team had. I can tell you this, all of those OL dudes don’t suck. Most were highly recruited.

We shall see on Grant. Hope you’re right. He was hitting quick, small holes and getting upfield in the first 3 games…..then he got punched. Not sure what his upside is. Just with my eyes, as of now, he looks like about (insert any of 50 backs here), just another dude. Maybe that will change going forward, still time if he gets things in order.

Last edited:

I was trying to remember how many times Grant fumbled last year and found the answer to be Zero (correct me if I'm wrong). I think we take for granted (no pun intended) that we expect RB's to never fumble. I'm hoping he can get his academic house in order, because a RB that doesn't fumble and doesn't like to go down (keeps his feet moving), is a good player to develop.

Idk, Grant has alot of talent. If this staff can get him to hit the right gap and use some of that wiggle and elusivenes at the the right time in that gap, he'd be an all american imo.
Though, I do agree that a kid has to do what they are supposed to.
Agree. He has great wiggle for 2nd and 3rd level. Has stuff to work on, but there aren't a ton of running backs that have that type of athleticism. He isn't stiff in the hips. Not a lot of guys can drop their hips and burst into another direction like that.

He isn't built to be a downhill back, but if our line starts getting some creases I could see him 5 to 8 touches a game and breaking some in the 3rd quarter.

He isn't big enough or downhill enough to be an every down back in. Also don't think he has the skillset in pass pro to be a third down back.

If he shows he can reliably catch passes and be a willing blocker he will have a roll, so long as he is taking care of his school, etc.

There's a reason for that.

They were historically bad.
Of course they were bad. Everything was bad. Everything. Offense, defense, turnovers, penalties…….there’s many variables that makes up a bad team. The OL wasn’t the only issue.
So if I told you going into a new season that:

#1. Your best linemen left and was drafted into the NFL
#2. Your second best linemen was suspended for the season because of PED's
#3. Your 3-year starting QB transfers
#4. You have a new O-Line coach
#5. You have a new OC, who is dramatically changing the offense from an RPO system (with a dynamic QB) to a WCO downfield passing system with a QB who is significantly less mobile.

Would you have expected success on the offensive line?

This year, we have:

1. A new HC, new offensive coordinator and a likely return to an offense that more closely resembles the RPO system
2. You lose a senior starting center, who is arguably your worst lineman from last season. You are replacing him with one of the more coveted transfer portal players in the nation.
3. You return to the lineup a B1G caliber linemen who was suspended last year.
4. Despite the coaching change you return your O-Line coach (continuity of coaching).
5. You return 5 guys with starting experience (not including your portal transfer).

I sincerely believe to the bottom of my heart that Mark Whipple was a huge problem last year. He didn't care about matching his offensive system to accommodate the talent on the team, especially offensive line. His choices of QBs were not O-Line friendly, his play calling wasn't O-Line friendly.

Then there was Hixon, I sincerely believe he was a huge issue. He couldn't block any B1G caliber D-linemen one-on-one. He would either get owned, or he'd require a double team from his guards, often leaving the tackles alone on an island.

I do think Rhule knows the line will determine his offensive success. He wants 75 yards rushing in the 4th quarter! He gets it. I believe our line will be significantly improved this coming season!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back