• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rhule reportedly turned us down. Update: Well Maybe Not

As is everybody’s retort. If you child was sick would you hire a doctor that loses more patients than he saves. I bet not. Please hire a coach that wins more than he loses
Depends on the seriousness and nature of the illness. You wan’t to hire a doctor who specializes in fixing the problem that your child has. If it’s a high risk problem and your child’s doctor has extensive experience with high risk problems, he might have a few losses on his record.

You don’t want to hire a dermatologist, who never loses a patient, to do a Norwood operation on your child who has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome.

Last edited:
As is everybody’s retort. If you child was sick would you hire a doctor that loses more patients than he saves. I bet not. Please hire a coach that wins more than he loses

What if the medical facility that the doctor works at didn't have the proper antibiotics when he first got there, which led to higher instances of death? But once they had proper supplies, more patients survived.
That's a much better analogy.

What if the medical facility that the doctor works at didn't have the proper antibiotics when he first got there, which led to higher instances of death? But once they had proper supplies, more patients survived.
That's a much better analogy.
Well I can’t argue that this team couldn’t use some antibiotics, I guess any new koolaid flavor will be appreciated by the Husker faithful

Depends on the seriousness and nature of the illness. You wan’t to hire a doctor who specializes in fixing the problem that your child has. If it’s a high risk problem and your child’s doctor has extensive experience with high risk problems, he might have a few losses on his record.

You don’t want to hire a dermatologist, who never loses a patient, to do a Norwood operation on your child who has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome.
This.

If my kid has cancer, I'm taking him to an oncologist who has expertise in treating difficult cases . . . which, by their nature, probably have a worse overall outcome compared to other illnesses. I'm not takig my kid to some GP who deals with a healthier clientele because they have "a better overall win/loss record".

I would also have to exclude oncologists who aren't taking new patients--similar to coaches who aren't interested in coming.

Phil? Phil Connors??
His point should be understandable. I totally get it. He’s not wrong. However, in this particular case, Rhule has shown evidence, potential, to be a bad ass. We don’t know, because when he’s had success, he’s left without seeing it thru. That’s where I’m at. I think he’s a solid coach, but unsure of his level of sustainability, because he hasn’t shown it, yet. For the money, give me Mickey at half the price, and let’s go attack this thing. A good, black head coach at Nebraska would be a very nice thing to see. I don’t think Rhule is worth what I think they’ll have to pay to get him.

I see one Big Ten offensive tackle on the roster, Prochazka. I thought Banks had potential, and he may yet. Alex Conn is too young to write off. He looked like he had the feet and athleticism for an OT coming out of high school so he may develop into a solid player. Ezra Miller, the Iowa transfer has been a bit of a mystery. He has had some struggles with his mental health (public knowledge) but my understanding is that he’s doing okay. I’m not sure if he might be projecting more at the interior line. There are a lot more questions than answers at the OT position. The new staff will have to go after a couple of transfers/JUCOs.

I do think the interior O line has some guys with ability. We’re in better shape there.
Benhardt doesn’t have the feet to play OT in the B1G. He’s a liability there. Corcoran needs to be playing guard. He’s not a tackle. If we can get a couple of OTs who are ready to play next season, with better coaching we could have a serviceable O line in 2023.
Thank you nice summary. I think you summed up my hopeful feelings that we aren’t absent bodies (assets) as much as we have mysteries, youth, potential, and athleticism still on the roster consistent with what we have always had. They have just gone undeveloped. I think much of our B1G West opponents have recruited at a half star lower than us but have raised them a star. Ours seem to hover right where they started.

This has been pointed out to you over and over again . . . and you just continue to ignore it completely. It's disingenuous--at best. Let's try one more time.

NFL record does not matter when it comes to college ball. Rhule coached 3 seasons for a pretty bad NFL team. Your boy Urban got canned before a single NFL season was completed because it was such a disaster. Even at that, Rhule has 500% more NFL wins than Urban. But you'll ignore that for Urban because you want Urban. So . . . NFL record doesn't matter. Stop with the "he has a losing record worse than Frost" take by lumping NFL record in with that. Rhule is 47-43 in college and turned around 2 programs. Frost was 16-31 at NU and wrecked the program.

Then we're left with college record. Surely you realize that Rhule's record overall looks the way it does because he takes on bad/struggling programs and buils them back up? First years in those programs are pretty bad--because they were pretty bad teams when Rhule took over. Then the years trend upwards pretty dramatically.

Looks at the progression below. 2 different times, Rhule took teams that either weren't very good or had fallen on a really bad times (Baylor with the scandal that many thought could lead to the actual end of their football program). Look at the improvement every year and the strong final years.

Not saying that WILL happen at NU . . . but Rhule has shown some success in turning programs around. That's what makes Rhule a pretty interesting candidate given the current mess at NU. It needs someone who has done this before.

View attachment 91015

I’ll consider it a failure if we are in year three with 11 wins but our losses are to a playoff team and in a NY6 bowl :Biggrin:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back