• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rhule reportedly turned us down. Update: Well Maybe Not

In my mind, whoever it is has 3 years to get above .500.
I had to give you the wow emoji on this one. No more that 2 with me and I’ll start being disappointed if it isn’t there the first year. I just don’t think our personal on the field are as talentless as our record would appear.

This partially explains why I lost faith in SF much earlier than many. SF had a lot of low hanging fruit in the form of development that wasn’t materializing even in his first couple of years. The writing was on the wall.

More than half the battle. I think that our S&C needs a serious upgrade as well.
I can’t argue this but I’ll give it a stab. Do we appear to have huge S&C struggles at any other position than OL? It seems on the OL it’s a matter of who they are blocking at times and technique wise are getting side stepped. When our guys finally get two shoulders on a defender we seem fine.

I can’t argue this but I’ll give it a stab. Do we appear to have huge S&C struggles at any other position than OL? It seems on the OL it’s a matter of who they are blocking at times and technique wise are getting side stepped. When our guys finally get two shoulders on a defender we seem fine.
It could be technique and coaching more than S&C. That they seem “slow” to some people may just be that they are uncertain about what to do. When a lineman just stands there and doesn’t block anyone (we’ve seen this) it’s usually because he doesn’t know who to block. And our guys never seem to get low pad level and leverage, which is probably also technique, unless they have a lack of flexibility due to S&C. So it’s kind of hard for me to tell. It could be that S&C is just fine and we don’t teach/coach linemen very well.

As far as S&C and other positions is concerned we could have excellent S&C for receivers, running backs, defensive backs and linebackers and mediocre S&C for linemen. As you know (and most others on here know), strength training is very position specific.

Last edited:

I had to give you the wow emoji on this one. No more that 2 with me and I’ll start being disappointed if it isn’t there the first year. I just don’t think our personal on the field are as talentless as our record would appear.

This partially explains why I lost faith in SF much earlier than many. SF had a lot of low hanging fruit in the form of development that wasn’t materializing even in his first couple of years. The writing was on the wall.
Well, that's not to say I'd be okay with no obvious progress.
If it's Rhule and he wins only 1 or 2 games his first year, as he did at Baylor and Temple respectively, should he be let go? He went 6-6 his second year at Temple and 7-6 his second at Baylor. What if he goes 5-7 his second year after a 1 or 2 win season his first? That would closely follow his pattern.
I think he gets handed a worse dumpster fire from Frost than Frost got from Riley. I gave Frost 3 years I think the next coach should get the same. Steady improvement for 3 years seems reasonable to me.

[Edit: The structure of the contract may make it easier to fire him after 3 than 2. Who knows.]

Last edited:

As is everybody’s retort. If you child was sick would you hire a doctor that loses more patients than he saves. I bet not. Please hire a coach that wins more than he loses
I don’t think you’re being genuine. Maybe you’re a sock account, or just someone playing games with us. Regardless, you have failed the reasonable person test. Goodbye.

Throw out Rhule’s first year at Temple and Baylor and he has a college win percentage of 67% (44-22). No losing seasons and division or conference championship in 60% of seasons (3/5).

If hired it would be nice to skip the first year 2-10 or 1-11 pain and go right to winning.

Whether him, Fickell, Doeren, Monken or whoever we sure need hope we will see progress toward winning football.

He’s not wrong about the talent gaps. Frost had some good classes but they’ve been lopsided in favor of skill positions. Both lines and the LB room are deficient when stacked up against other B1G programs, especially the O line. We literally have a grand total of one acceptable offensive tackle on the roster, and he is injured. Rhule and his staff will have their work cut out for them and priority #1 has to be rebuilding the O line.
SF chose to over index on skill positions and chose to favor OL who were 6'7" or taller.

Just more of his incompetence at managing anything including recruiting. BTW I would be happy if we never recruited a OL taller than 6'6".

I want tree trunks for thighs and a big ass along with guys who can move their feet and like to punish their opponent. Not one of our current OL meet that description.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back