• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Campbell The Process.

It didn’t work out well. But I don’t think in such a simplistic way. Just because Frost’s staff didn’t work doesn’t mean another guys staff won’t work. This reminds me of the theory that because Frost has ties to Nebraska and failed, the solution is to not consider people with ties to the state, as if was these ties that prevented success.

What TA should be focused on is whether the candidate has the intangible qualities that reflect his ability to run a highly complex multimillion dollar organization. If you hire a guy and don’t trust his judgment on hiring assistants, you hired the wrong guy. You may as well throw darts at a board or spin a wheel.

Moos hired SF without any actual diligence to determine if he was the kind of guy who could fit the task. it was assumed he was the guy because everyone thought he was the next big coach. In Mmos’ defense, he had no choice but to hire Frost. But that doesn’t change the fact that, if due diligence had been exercised, it probably would have been clear he wasn’t ready for a P5 job.

In short, demanding a coach not bring his staff, or making sure there are no Nebraska ties is an improper focus. If the AD doesn’t think the guys staff is a good fit for Nebraska, he’d better discuss that before hiring.
Man, you were here just last year defending Frost and berating people who believed he shouldn't have gotten another year even after four years of bad results. Now you're an expert on what TA should be looking for in a coach. This is top notch

To be clear, I am not saying a new HC should not bring any of his assistants but I AM saying to bring the entire is a huge red flag

If that staff was talented do you not think that some of those staff members will be recruited by other programs with attractive pay packages?

SF brought to the huskers a big pile of no talent coaches who let enabled poor discipline, zero development and embraced a no fear of failure which = penalties and turnovers are just fine. There isn't one of SF assistants that will get a job that pays as much as they made here except for maybe Beckton
I’m not qualified to assess SF’s staff and how they will fare in the future. But I do think each staff member that a coach wants to bring in should be evaluated individually. Whether he brings in 25% or his staff or 100%, each person needs to be looked at for what they do or don’t bring.

I think what’s more important is whether the head coach is willing to part with someone who was successful at their last school but isn’t cutting it in the B1G.

Man, you were here just last year defending Frost and berating people who believed he shouldn't have gotten another year even after four years of bad results. Now you're an expert on what TA should be looking for in a coach. This is top notch
I noticed your comment was just a personal attack against me. Is there something specific I said in the post you have objection to or is that all you got?

I stick by everything I said. TA made the right choice under the circumstances to retain SF. Sometimes good decisions don’t pan out. If he had fired Frost last year, people would be calling for TA’s firing. This worked out just as it had to.

So yes, I am quite comfortable in putting forth my opinions just like everyone else. If my comments bother you, feel free to block me.

Last edited:

And I stick by everything I said. TA made the right choice under the circumstances to retain SF. Sometimes good decisions don’t pan out. If he had fired Frost last year, people would be calling for TA’s firing. This worked out just as it had to.

So yes, I am quite comfortable in putting forth my opinions just like everyone else. If my comments bother you, feel free to block me.
You meat rode Frost until the obvious happened. If Moos failed to vet Frost and it was a mistake to hire him then it was a mistake retain him. The guy was toxic and failed in every aspect of the job. If you were so astute you would've seen it a lot sooner.

Last edited:
But we were so close!! You don't know anything about nuance and wins don't always tell the story after 4 years, you negative Nancy

Last edited:
You meat rode Frost until the obvious happened. If Moos failed to vet Frost and it was a mistake to hire him then it was a mistake retain him. The guy was toxic and failed in every aspect of the job. If you were so astute you would've seen it a lot sooner.
This is going to make your head explode, but I don’t think I ever defended Frost. On this forum, I poked at the arguments folks like you were making and you interpreted that as a defense. But that was more a reflection of your discomfort with me pointing out the logical flaws in your arguments than anything else. The main point I raised during last season was it was about more than win loss records. It’s was about what’s going on in the program. I commented that Trev had access to that information that was critical to an intelligent decision. Folks like you assumed that a deep dive would result in retention. I assumed that a deep dive could go either way. When TA, after the deep dive chose retention, that was fine with me.

We know now that it was a mistake for Moos to hire Frost. That wasn’t the case when he hired him. Further, even in December of 2021, the vast majority of fans (over 70%) wanted to retain Frost for another year to see what happened because they were able to see improvement last year. You didn’t and that’s fine and not the point. Fast forward to game 3 of this year and over 70% of fans supported terminating Frost. This may fall into the category of when you make your bed you have to lay in it. Ultimately bad decisions result in consequences. Sometimes you have to suffer some hardship before recovering. That’s where NU is.

I’m not sure what you don’t get about that dynamic. Trev has made all the right choices so far. We will see if he makes the right choice of head coach in a couple months.

Last edited:
But we were so close!! You don't know anything about nuance and wins don't always tell the story after 4 years, you negative Nancy
Yeah, that’s about right. If you have any specific quotes I have made in the past, I would be happy to explain them to you and then defend them. It would be kind of a waste of time since it turned out I was right that TA was not going to make a decision based solely on win loss records. He was going to make a more sophisticated analysis. Did it work out? Depends on how you measure. If it’s in 2022 win/loss, no. If it’s about a bigger picture, we will have to wait and see.

Just be happy that this is the kind of guy TA is. It increases our chances of finding a successful coach. For example, some folks suggest he should be looking at which coaching candidates win their respective games against each other this season. I will go out on a limb and suggest that is not Trev’s metric.

Presumably, the reason they are his staff is because he has worked with them, has confidence in them, and feels they give him the best chance at success.

Would we really hire a coach and tell him he needs to hire coaches he has never worked with? I guess that would work if the coach has other guys in mind but was limited by budget at his last job and now he can hire more expensive (and thus supposedly better) assistants.

I have heard that bold before about 4.75 years ago.

C

Yeah, that’s about right. If you have any specific quotes I have made in the past, I would be happy to explain them to you and then defend them. It would be kind of a waste of time since it turned out I was right that TA was not going to make a decision based solely on win loss records. He was going to make a more sophisticated analysis. Did it work out? Depends on how you measure. If it’s in 2022 win/loss, no. If it’s about a bigger picture, we will have to wait and see.

Just be happy that this is the kind of guy TA is. It increases our chances of finding a successful coach. For example, some folks suggest he should be looking at which coaching candidates win their respective games against each other this season. I will go out on a limb and suggest that is not Trev’s metric.

That is all tongue in cheek, nobody seriously feels the best record amongst B12 candidates is what he should use in deciding who to hire.

C

I have heard that bold before about 4.75 years ago.

C
And your point? I’m sorry the world isn’t simpler so that everything falls neatly into organized baskets. And I’m sorry that your life was disrupted by the SF experience. But common sense didn’t go out the window because Frost brought his team that excelled at UCF, but didn’t excel here.

Cinch up your saddle because whoever is hired is not going to fill out his staff with strangers. He will choose people he knows, trusts, and is comfortable working with.

Cinch up your saddle because whoever is hired is not going to fill out his staff with strangers. He will choose people he knows, trusts, and is comfortable working with.

I'm more comfortable with that if the coach we hire is coming from another P5 program. Even more comfortable if that P5 program has a brand of football that should translate well in the Big Ten.

That said, I doubt most coaches bring their entire coaching staff with them. Some, yes. All, that has to be uncommon.

The idea that every assistant coach on a staff for a non-P5 school should advance with the head coach to a solid P5 job is something that should be questioned -- and many here had been doing for multiple years in regard to Frost's staff. Though I'm sure that was part of the deal made in acquiring Frost from UCF. I imagine Moos didn't push back much if at all. Lesson learned, I would think.

Last edited:

I'm more comfortable with that if the coach we hire is coming from another P5 program. Even more comfortable if that P5 program has a brand of football that should translate well in the Big Ten.

That said, I doubt most coaches bring their entire coaching staff with them. Some, yes. All, that has to be uncommon.

The idea that every assistant coach on a staff for a non-P5 school should advance with the head coach to a solid P5 job is something that should be questioned -- and many here had been doing for multiple years in regard to Frost's staff. Though I'm sure that was part of the deal made in acquiring Frost from UCF. I imagine Moos didn't push back much if at all. Lesson learned, I would think.
I would imagine with most staffs, not everyone is in a position to move their family to follow the head coach. It was rather amazing that Frost got everyone to move to Lincoln. Unfortunate that it didn’t produce the quality program they produced at UCF.

But to your point, I pointed out earlier today that we should focus on the actual coaches rather than the manner in which they end up on staff. A coach isn’t a bad fit for here based on whether he was part of the coach’s prior stint. Whether he is a fit is dependent on his own merits and whether he has the pedigree to coach in a big time B1G program. If he does, then I’m not concerned if he was with the HC before.

One would hope that we hire someone who examines his staff critically to determine who is ready for such a jump and doesn’t bring anyone along that isn’t ready just out of loyalty. Unfortunately, that is something that may be hard for a coach to discern. In Frost’s case, it wasn’t crazy 4.5 years ago to believe his staff was ready given what they did that year. Their bowl game was validation that they could compete outside their conference against top talent. But apparently is was more about the high level of UCF talent than the coaching ability of the staff.

Last edited:
And your point? I’m sorry the world isn’t simpler so that everything falls neatly into organized baskets. And I’m sorry that your life was disrupted by the SF experience. But common sense didn’t go out the window because Frost brought his team that excelled at UCF, but didn’t excel here.

I didn't say any of the bold. Project much?

I also have no issue with a coach hiring people he has worked with, knows, and is comfortable with. But that is very different than bringing the entire staff from a lower tier school. I would assume you know that already.

Your condescending tone is awesome.

C

Last edited:

I didn't say any of the bold. Project much?

I also have no issue with a coach hiring people he has worked with, knows, and is comfortable with. But that is very different than bringing the entire staff from a lower tier school. I would assume you know that already.

Your condescending tone is awesome.

C
I’m sorry that the world can’t be simpler for you. I really do.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back