• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Campbell The Process.

Ah, more condescending dribble. You really should stop projecting your insecurities so much.

C
I’m being as sincere as I can be. Can’t do anything more than that for you.

It doesn’t matter how a coach gets hired. He either is qualified or he is not. Being on the HC’s previous staff doesn’t change that. I’m sorry you can’t understand the point I’m making. I really am. If I was going to bag on an assistant, I would argue the merits or lack of merits of the individual. I wouldn’t complain that a coach had hired his buddies as an argument against said hire.

Last edited:
I’m being as sincere as I can be. Can’t do anything more than that for you.

It doesn’t matter how a coach gets hired. He either is qualified or he is not. Being on the HC’s previous staff doesn’t change that. I’m sorry you can’t understand the point I’m making. I really am. If I was going to bag on an assistant, I would argue the merits or lack of merits of the individual. I wouldn’t complain that a coach had hired his buddies as an argument against said hire.

Again, never said that. Dude, you really are a piece of work. I am sorry you are incapable of understanding what I am saying. I really can't make it any simpler for you.

C

Again, never said that. Dude, you really are a piece of work. I am sorry you are incapable of understanding what I am saying. I really can't make it any simpler for you.

C
I know. I wasn’t speaking for you. I was speaking for me. I made what I thought was a simple point. But I guess it wasn’t as simple as I had thought.

In any event, whoever the new head coach is, he is likely to bring in some or all of his present staff. Nothing we can do about that. However it works out, I hope he is successful.

Last edited:

I know. I wasn’t speaking for you. I was speaking for me. I made what I thought was a simple point. But I guess it wasn’t as simple as I had thought.

In any event, whoever the new head coach is, he is likely to bring in some or all of his present staff. Nothing we can do about that. However it works out, I hope he is successful.

I get your point, sorry you don't get mine. I really could not make it any simpler for you to grasp.

C

Spelling Nazis - Writers Write

C

Nothing against Campbell. He'd be around 4th on my list.

You can argue that Campbell is the best HC in ISU history -- and you may very well have a point.

But consider ISU entered last season loaded with talent and experience -- I could argue the most in ISU history. Top 10 in the preseason polls. And the Clones finished 7-6.

Campbell is 45-34 in his career at Iowa State. He's in his 7th year, with one season finishing ranked in the top 25 (2020, Covid season).

I think Campbell has a safe floor. He likely won't suck anywhere. I'm convinced he'd be a huge upgrade over Frost. Granted, I'm convinced almost anyone would be a huge upgrade. I'm far from convinced Campbell has as high of a ceiling as others.

I like the guy, not sure that I love him. Of course, we all have our bye week favorites.
In fairness, if Iowa State was ‘loaded’ with talent last year, then he’d be responsible for developing said ‘loaded’ talent, because their roster has been littered with 2* players. It’s gotten better now, as he’s mostly getting 3* players now. Also, that 45-34 record has been done at Iowa State….IOWA STATE. They were Kansas when he got there. To me, that says a ton. It’s also not been a one year thing. He’s beaten OU twice, Texas twice, OSU, and most everyone else as well. I think the dude can coach. That said, I’m not sure he is my first choice either, but I wouldn’t be pissed if he was it. NU can, as has done worse, much worse. Maybe the ceiling is Iowa State? Maybe, somewhere else, a bigger school football wise, he does even better? There is no way to know. It would be hard to win a championship at Iowa State, and he damn near had one.

I noticed your comment was just a personal attack against me. Is there something specific I said in the post you have objection to or is that all you got?

I stick by everything I said. TA made the right choice under the circumstances to retain SF. Sometimes good decisions don’t pan out. If he had fired Frost last year, people would be calling for TA’s firing. This worked out just as it had to.

So yes, I am quite comfortable in putting forth my opinions just like everyone else. If my comments bother you, feel free to block me.
Yeah, that’s about right. If you have any specific quotes I have made in the past, I would be happy to explain them to you and then defend them. It would be kind of a waste of time since it turned out I was right that TA was not going to make a decision based solely on win loss records. He was going to make a more sophisticated analysis. Did it work out? Depends on how you measure. If it’s in 2022 win/loss, no. If it’s about a bigger picture, we will have to wait and see.

Just be happy that this is the kind of guy TA is. It increases our chances of finding a successful coach. For example, some folks suggest he should be looking at which coaching candidates win their respective games against each other this season. I will go out on a limb and suggest that is not Trev’s metric.
Ok now these posts are a little over the top. I got my pound of flesh from you this fall and have generally laid off you for some past posting discrepancies because you have eaten a bit of crow. However these posts aren’t really reflective of your stance prior to the start of the season. No you didn’t necessarily have quotes saying you supported SF with no reservations but you did argue with everyone who did have reservations. That to me is implied consent in regards to supporting SF.

I’m regards to Trev and his decision making process. Yes you did argue that it was more than wins and losses. But you took that stance in the form of stating Trev would do a deep analysis of SFs progress to form an opinion other than just wins and losses. And your stance was on the side that Trev was seeing much more progress than the fans were seeing in 3-9.

What you failed to understand, and you seem to want to wash your hands of was there was a significant amount of fans that were in agreement with you regarding the deep analysis. A couple of those guys you are arguing with in this thread. But even then you wouldn’t accept their side of the deep analysis……which was his “hobby” issues. You adamantly fought them on that.

In fairness, if Iowa State was ‘loaded’ with talent last year, then he’d be responsible for developing said ‘loaded’ talent, because their roster has been littered with 2* players. It’s gotten better now, as he’s mostly getting 3* players now. Also, that 45-34 record has been done at Iowa State….IOWA STATE. They were Kansas when he got there. To me, that says a ton. It’s also not been a one year thing. He’s beaten OU twice, Texas twice, OSU, and most everyone else as well. I think the dude can coach. That said, I’m not sure he is my first choice either, but I wouldn’t be pissed if he was it. NU can, as has done worse, much worse. Maybe the ceiling is Iowa State? Maybe, somewhere else, a bigger school football wise, he does even better? There is no way to know. It would be hard to win a championship at Iowa State, and he damn near had one.

I definitely didn't suggest Campbell was anything less than a good coach (since he is on my preferred list, but not #1).

My point of concern was based on the fact in 2020, ISU finished #9 in both major polls. And they brought back almost everyone from that team for the 2021 season, last year. Preseason top 10. And then the Clones went 7-6. They also had 4 players drafted by the NFL this past April (unless you go back to 1976, when they had 3 players drafted in round 13 or later -- but they only have 7 rounds any longer).

Relative to expectations based on returning talent/experience, last season may have been the biggest flop in ISU history.

Here's an example of the preseason expectations for ISU last season, when they went 7-6.

Make no mistake about it. After winning last year's Fiesta Bowl and returning 19 of 22 starters, the 2021 edition of Iowa State football should be the best in school history by a wide margin. In Year Six of the Matt Campbell era, the Cyclones are a legitimate College Football Playoff contender with all eyes set on winning the Big 12.

I definitely didn't suggest Campbell was anything less than a good coach (since he is on my preferred list, but not #1).

My point of concern was based on the fact in 2020, ISU finished #9 in both major polls. And they brought back almost everyone from that team for the 2021 season, last year. Preseason top 10. And then the Clones went 7-6. They also had 4 players drafted by the NFL this past April (unless you go back to 1976, when they had 3 players drafted in round 13 or later -- but they only have 7 rounds any longer).

Relative to expectations based on returning talent/experience, last season may have been the biggest flop in ISU history.

Here's an example of the preseason expectations for ISU last season, when they went 7-6.

I didn’t say you did say he wasn’t a good coach. Lol. ;)

Except you spelled it correctly. The word you chose would be more appropriate if you we're drooling while playing basketball.
Exhibit #239 - Why I don't correct bad grammar, word usage, or spelling on a discussion board. It always comes back to bite you in the arse. :)

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back