• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Aranda driven by culture

Baylor is one of those programs that seems to always hire another good coach. Ruhle, Aranda? I mean, what would we have given for either of them? (I’m leaving out the guy before, but him too.)

Last edited:

Baylor is one of those programs that seems to always hire another good coach. Rule, Aranda? I mean, what would we have given for either of them?
The settings right there, it attracts up and coming coaches, unlike UCF had, not comparable.
Like San Diego State,or even Massachusetts at a different level.

So Aranda has actually only had 2 full seasons as a head coach and is working on his 3rd. He had a great 2021 and was 2-7 in 2020. Baylor has already lost to BYU so they are 2-1 so far this season. Is 2 seasons as a HC enough to roll the dice and offer him a multi year contract paying him multi millions? Sure would hate for Nebraska to make a mistake once again for a HC that really doesn't have much history as a head coach? There are no guarantees when hiring someone and there is a long list of can't miss head coach hires that missed very badly. I certainly wouldn't offer him a long term contract with millions involved unless it was heavily performance based.
You hire who you think has the vision and competency to do the job. If what we lack right now is culture and Aranda goes into the interview preaching culture, that is going to stand out. (Besides Urban Meyer) most of the guys on the list you can knock for either not having enough of a head coaching record or not enough Power 5 experience.

I certainly wouldn't hire Aranda on one year of success, alone. That said, I think he checks a number of other boxes that would make him a good fit.

You hire who you think has the vision and competency to do the job. If what we lack right now is culture and Aranda goes into the interview preaching culture, that is going to stand out. (Besides Urban Meyer) most of the guys on the list you can knock for either not having enough of a head coaching record or not enough Power 5 experience.

I certainly wouldn't hire Aranda on one year of success, alone. That said, I think he checks a number of other boxes that would make him a good fit.
I think the fact he has the background being a successful DC in the B1G makes up for his lack of extensive HC experience. But claiming a P5 conference championship in his 2nd year as HC is quite impressive on it's own.

Simply pointing out you are what your record says you are and he doesn't have much of record imo to pay millions and millions. If you're going to hire more on intangibles that's fine just recognize we're rolling the dice. There's potential HC hires out there with at least 4 or 5 years experience and a proven track record. Aranda might be the the next super coach but that jury is out for the next several years imo. Not saying we shouldn't hire Aranda. However we should proceed with caution before once again doling out millions of dollars based on a limited data points.

Last edited:
I think the fact he has the background being a successful DC in the B1G makes up for his lack of extensive HC experience. But claiming a P5 conference championship in his 2nd year as HC is quite impressive on it's own.
Would you feel the same should Baylor have a losing record this season? Lets remember our can't miss last coach won a conference title and went undefeated. He also only had 2 years experience as a HC so in effect Nebraska rolled the dice and came up crap 11.

Would you feel the same should Baylor have a losing record this season? Lets remember our can't miss last coach won a conference title and went undefeated. He also only had 2 years experience as a HC so in effect Nebraska rolled the dice and came up crap 11.

We also had a coach with decades of HC experience at the P5 level who didn't do well either. Hiring coaches is always a crapshoot. I think Aranda would be a great fit culturally as well as from a football perspective. Watch how physical Baylor plays, it definitely puts a smile on my face.

I get what you're saying, but Baylors history of turning things around from good coaching is impressive
My point is his HC experience is limited right now. I don't think TA is going to lock into him but I don't want to see another head long stampede. How much do you pay for a HC with only 2 years HC experience? I can say 2 years good HC performance in the NFL is only 2 years of good performance.

Yes I'd feel the same. If Frost was a grinder, pounding the pavement on the recruiting trail instead of the margaritas, had late nights in the film room instead of Gate 25, and still wound up 16-31 maybe I would have reservations for DA. But from everything I've seen Aranda is someone who preaches accountability and culture, with a defensive background that I think we desperately need in our next HC.

Aranda and Frost are not cut from the same cloth.

Edit: IF we hire Aranda and he stinks up the joint you won't have to worry about I told you so, I'd be the first to admit I was wrong.

Last edited:

My point is his HC experience is limited right now. I don't think TA is going to lock into him but I don't want to see another head long stampede. How much do you pay for a HC with only 2 years HC experience? I can say 2 years good HC performance in the NFL is only 2 years of good performance.
Trust me, I caught grief elsewhere for having these very same thoughts about SF.
My hope is as others look at this they can eliminate these legitimate doubts through various knowledge/findings.
Such as, both he and SF became successful in a successful program, but how did/does their HCing approaches differ? In practice? Detail etc.

And I agree, incentive laden due to lack of greater experience

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back