• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Top 3 coaches leading in NU search 9/20/22

I’m on the bill O’Brien train. The other two are a tier down from him but acceptable. I think when you look at his resume and then you tack on what he brings from Sabin I think it’s pretty impressive. He can literally mimic the Alabama program.

I'm absolutely on board for the BoB experience. The guy was a bad GM in the NFL, but a darn good coach. He made the playoffs four times - and two of the times his starting QB was Brian Hoyer and Tom Savage.

I think I would like to hire a 'man' maybe someone over the age of 50 and who can sport a mullet:

7–63–5T–5th (South)W Independence
2007Oklahoma State7–64–4T–3rd (South)W Insight
2008Oklahoma State9–45–34th (South)L Holiday1816
2009Oklahoma State9–46–22nd (South)L Cotton25
2010Oklahoma State11–26–2T–1st (South)W Alamo1013
2011Oklahoma State12–18–11stW Fiesta33
2012Oklahoma State8–55–4T–3rdW Heart of Dallas
2013Oklahoma State10–37–2T–2ndL Cotton1717
2014Oklahoma State7–64–57thW Cactus
2015Oklahoma State10–37–2T–2ndL Sugar1920
2016Oklahoma State10–37–2T–2ndW Alamo1111
2017Oklahoma State10–36–33rdW Camping World1414
2018Oklahoma State7–63–6T–7thW Liberty
2019Oklahoma State8–55–4T–3rdL Texas
2020Oklahoma State8–36–33rdW Cheez-It1920
2021Oklahoma State12–28–1

Leipold was up and down at Buffalo and with KU its still a work in progress. That would be a heck of a gamble based on what he did at UW Whitewater. Doubt I will have too many warm fuzzies about any of the candidates but BOB has a ton of good experience.

I think Bill O’Brien would be a hard worker - the grinder TA mentioned - and I have no doubt he knows how to assemble a staff and build his program. He absolutely would do a better job of scouting and preparing for opponents and developing a solid game plan (I still don’t think SF EVER did this). But I’m a little murky on how he would be as a recruiter. He did pretty good at PSU given the situation. Would he be able to lure recruits to Lincoln? My guess is that he would go hard after guys he thought would fit his team’s identity regardless of stars. He also seems a little Bo Pelini’ish when it comes to dealing with the press. Could that possibly cross him up with admin and boosters? Would we as fans be okay with that? Does anybody have a better feel for this? Have I asked too many questions? :Confused:

This writer is guessing. As is anyone writing a similar article right now. Alberts isn't going to be leaking anything to anyone this early in the process, so no one other than Trev and maybe a few close confidants know what he is thinking right now.
Those contacted could be leaking info as well.

For the most part I am okay with all the coaches mentioned so far but some are much higher up the list than others.

Of all those available the best option to keep Mickey and Busch on staff would be Aranda. They all coached together at LSU during the championship season. Busch was Aranda's safety coach when he was the DC.

C

None of the 3 excite me much, but I'm hardly the pulse of the fan base. The thing that concerns me about either Campbell or Leipold is what there ceiling might be. Think Bo Pelini. He righted the ship after BC was shown the door but he had a poor record against highly ranked teams. Maybe Campbell or Leipold could take that next step, maybe not (same for all coaches I guess). Not sure if O'Brien wants to back in the NFL or not, but if he came here and was offered a NFL HC job again it would probably mean our team was doing pretty good. At least we wouldn't have to pay him millions if he left on his own accord.
Lovie Smith says "Hi"....

I’m on the bill O’Brien train. The other two are a tier down from him but acceptable. I think when you look at his resume and then you tack on what he brings from Sabin I think it’s pretty impressive. He can literally mimic the Alabama program.

I do believe it would be beneficial to have someone who has been inside the Alabama machine and has the kind of name that might be able to bring in top assistants. I am not sure if O'Brien has that kind of name, but he has to be higher than LL or MC in that regard?

LL is intriguing.

MC would be fun to throw Cyclone fans into an epic tailspin.

For the most part I am okay with all the coaches mentioned so far but some are much higher up the list than others.

Of all those available the best option to keep Mickey and Busch on staff would be Aranda. They all coached together at LSU during the championship season. Busch was Aranda's safety coach when he was the DC.

C
Good point on Aranda/micky/Busch. Probably the only way we keep Mickey. I’ve always liked aranda but a little concerned Baylor will match any offer.

He hasn't stayed anywhere for more than 5 years. I'm not looking for TO type commitment, but I really do think he wants to be in the NFL. He'd be here 2 or 3 years tops.

He was at GT and MD for minutes, ND for a year or 2, and then PSU for CFB experience. He did well at PSU given the circumstances but he doesn't have much CFB experience IMO.
If he's gone in 2-3 years, won't that mean he'll have been wildly successful in turning this trainwreck around in short order? Put me done as "YES PLEASE"!!!

Good point on Aranda/micky/Busch. Probably the only way we keep Mickey. I’ve always liked aranda but a little concerned Baylor will match any offer.

Mine too, TA needs to roll in like Jalen Ramsey and hop out the back of a Brinks truck.

Brinks Truck GIFs | Tenor

C

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back