• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Anthony Grant has star potential

How do you feel about the unhappy fans disparaging players when Nebraska wins.

Grant and Allen both had a very good game.

I think it is silly, they had good games, but my point was.. fans are extreme. We win against a crappy team and it is the next coming.... Fans need to take a chill pill. Let's play a P5 team and win this way first.. that hasn't happened in a while.

This was an FCS team, and not a very good one at that.

Again, he had a good game, against not so good comp. He needs to do this against good teams, not just FCS/weak teams.

Last edited:
I think it is silly, they had good games, but my point was.. fans are extreme. We win against a crappy team and it is the next coming.... Fans need to take a chill pill. Let's play a P5 team and win this way first.. that hasn't happened in a while.

Again, he had a good game, against not so good comp. He needs to do this against good teams, not just FCS/weak teams.
Now that you put it that way, I'm starting to realize he's not very good. In fact, some may ask if he's the worst running back in P5. Shall we start a thread?

Can’t help yourself can you.

Moving the goal posts I see

Using your criteria Roy Helu on his record breaking 307 yards rushing vs Missouri would have not had a very good day based on his TD runs of 66, 73 and 53 or 192 of his 307 yards

The great backs have the long runs in among the 4 and 5 yard pops with Ahman Green and Lawrence Phillips just a couple of examples

Bottom line 19 carries 101 yards and 5.1 per pop

Not really sure why you are trying to down grade him?
Except he had multiple runs of over 20 yards and over 10 yards. Besides, do you think that any of the great NU backs would have beaten Helu's record had they had as many carries. It is not moving the goal posts. It is football 101. Would you rather have a RB who ran the ball for five yards every play or one who had 19 yards on 19 carries and 1 run of 81 yards. Both yield the same average. One would be far more effective to an offensive coordinator. So, since the information is actually out there, lets examine his game against NW before we retire his number.

I will only list the exact runs by Grant since it would be a waste of time to list anything else. 1st Drive: First run, 2 yards, second run 4 yards. Average: 3 yards.

3rd Drive: 1 yard, 8 yards, 2 yards. 2 yards Four runs, 13 yards. Average almost 3, but three of the runs were below the average you need.

So first quarter 6 runs 19 yards. This is significantly less than you need to run an offense.

Second Quarter: 1 yard, 1yard. Two rushes for 2 yards. Significantly below what an offense needs.

Second Quarter 6:15 drive 1 yard 8 yards, 1 yard. Still below the 3.33 needed to get a first down on three rushes.

Total 2nd Quarter production 4 carries 11 yards. No where near what is needed to produce an effective offense.

His 3rd Quarter was then his best quarter. I will space the drama 8 carries for 68 yards. But it started out with runs of 2, 3, 6 and 3. So without the 48 yard run he is finally just barely meeting what an OC needs his starting RB to get.

4th quarter. 1 Rush 3 yards. So for 3 quarters of the game he averaged less than an OC needs on a rushing play to make play calling easier. And this is the starting RB.

So crown him if you want. His game against NW was not very good.

If we were to take his 3rd quarter out of the game he would have had 13 carries for 38 yards. That would fall under the category of really bad for a starting RB.

Last edited:
Now that you put it that way, I'm starting to realize he's not very good. In fact, some may ask if he's the worst running back in P5. Shall we start a thread?

lol, that is the extreme I was talking about ( I know you did that on purpose, that is why I lol'ed).

When an OC calls a running play he does so to set up his other plays. He definately needs to get 3.33 yards per run but he really wants 5. Against NW AG had 4 runs of over 5 yards and 10 runs under 3.33 yards. That is not effective.

NoDaks been in the championship/playoff games I believe 3 of the last 6 years.
Sort of like NWs won the west every other year for awhile.
And no, they werent in the playoffs last year

North Dakota was 5-6 last year, did not make the playoffs. 2020 was 5-2 won one and lost the second in the playoffs. 2019 7-5, lost the first game of the playoffs. 2018 was 6-5 no playoffs. 2017 they were 3-8.

You must be thinking of a different team.

North Dakota was 5-6 last year, did not make the playoffs. 2020 was 5-2 won one and lost the second in the playoffs. 2019 7-5, lost the first game of the playoffs. 2018 was 6-5 no playoffs. 2017 they were 3-8.

You must be thinking of a different team.
I think he is thinking of NDSU who I believe beat Iowa about 8 or so years ago.

Last edited:

I think he is thinking of NDSU who I believe beat Iowa about 8 or so years ago.

yes, that is probable the team.. That would have been a different situation for sure.. Just like South Dakota State.. tough damn teams, even coming from the FCS.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back