• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pat Forde may be a jerk...

We absolutely will get a coach. 100%. Will it be Gruden, Urban, Stoops or some of the other giant names thrown around here? Uh, no. But we can hire a coach. I have full confidence in Trev. This is frankly why he was hired in the first place.
We can compete - Aranda is in play, Fickle is in play, so are many others. Are we prying Saban out of Bama? Of course not, but there are really good coaches not in the SEC or B1G who are in play.

Gruden, Stoops, and Meyer want to NOT be coaching more than they want to be coaching. No point in even throwing their names out there.

We can compete - Aranda is in play, Fickle is in play, so are many others. Are we prying Saban out of Bama? Of course not, but there are really good coaches not in the SEC or B1G who are in play.

Gruden, Stoops, and Meyer want to NOT be coaching more than they want to be coaching. No point in even throwing their names out there.
Sounds like we agree! :thumbsup:

Frost has dug us to absolute rock bottom. Not many worse teams in P5 football over his tenure.

Good thing about rock bottom is that it makes for a firm foundation. Let’s go get a solid coach and start rebuilding this mess.

Don't tempt the gods. It can always get much, much worse.

It's actually the perfect time to "essentially start over."

The bar is as low as it has been in my lifetime. There's almost nowhere to go but up for the next head coach.

I don't see it as a conundrum at all. I don't see it as any more difficult than firing Callahan or Riley. You get to the point where you so clearly need to burn it down -- because it's been an absolute failure -- and just start over. Frost has had more time and worse results than either Callahan or Riley.

There's no better time to start over than now (although it should have been last year). When would it possibly be better? (And by now, I mean either Oct 1 or later this year.) That is, assuming Frost doesn't have some magical, unexpected turnaround in him.
The positive, if it is done early enough in the season, perhaps the season can be saved to some degree. Get it to a point where some of the new players want to stay. I think we have enough good players to be competitive in the Big 10. The leadership problem has to be solved immediately though. The next month will be interesting.

Last edited:
Frost has dug us to absolute rock bottom. Not many worse teams in P5 football over his tenure.

Good thing about rock bottom is that it makes for a firm foundation. Let’s go get a solid coach and start rebuilding this mess.
The #1 area where Frost has failed is with game management. Games have been reasonably close. We do have some talent on this team.

Last edited:

Let’s be a little careful blaming all this on SF game management. Especially based on the one call he made. This game wasn’t lost because of an onside kick call. Only the fans living in a box think that. Look at the big picture team that we fielded Saturday.

We had almost no penalties and special teams were adequate. The rest of the game was poor. Defense was probably a B- average on stopping the run and a C+ on pass coverage. But working together as an entire unit probably a D+.

Offense the same way. Passing game looked sharp first half when there was protection but the second half….if you take away a broken play that was gonna be a 10 yard loss and turn it into a 57 yard gain…..was a pathetic 8-18 for about 70 yards.

I’m just saying let’s not forget about a terrible job by the two coordinators against a team that was supposed to be pretty bad.

I'm definitely leaning towards Frost getting the boot. I like him, but he stubbornly makes the same mistakes, over and over.

Frost replaced coaches, changed his entire offensive philosophy, made solid recruiting grabs, and landed 22 transfer portal guys from Texas, FSU, Texas Tech, etc. And then he still piddles games away.

In my mind, he has two things (potentially) going for him. One, we made practically no mistakes. 1 penalty flag all game? And secondly, we haven't really seen all the Whipple offense (I hope).

Those two things, should the offense be good, coupled with a bunch of wins - and big wins - might save him. But I give Frost like a 2% chance at this point. His career at NU is pretty much over, IMO.
Yeah maybe we didn't see it all because Thompson was running for his life second half.

The writing was on the wall in year 2 if anyone wanted to pay attention. Mind numbing OL problems, ST, turnovers, penalties, bone headed game management, and the list goes on. Those issues were inexcusable for a 2nd year head coach at a new school.

Year 3 was more of the same and he made zero assistant coaching changes which led to more of the same in year 4. All of this was coaching malpractice repeated over and over again.

We are only here today because of Moos F the university otherwise SF would have been fired last year.
Because Trev is in over his head also.

The worst part about firing the coach is you have to essentially start over at a place that isn't winning. But I get it... Frost has failed here on many levels. His game management skills are so abysmal that I'm not sure he's even capable of winning year in and year out. But firing him is a conundrum, one that has to be handled carefully.
Who cares we blow. Right now.

Because Trev is in over his head also.
Personally I am deferring judgment until I see how he deals with SF.

My opinion is if TA retains SF, absent the team winning 10+ games, then TA should be fired as he clearly does not understand that with SF as HC the Huskers will be 500 team at best over time

The positive, if it is done early enough in the season, perhaps the season can be saved to some degree. Get it to a point where some of the new players want to stay. I think we have enough good players to be competitive in the Big 10. The leadership problem has to be solved immediately though. The next month will be interesting.
This is where I'm at as well ^^. With the portal in play if you wait until season's end, you'll lose half the team. We do have some really good talent right now at the skill spots. If you ditch him in October and put the right interim guy in charge, there's a chance we win some close games and some of these new guys want to stay and help rebuild.

Frost is costing us wins, either with his reckless game management, best friend DC not getting it done, or yet another learn-OTJ-hire at O-line coach. He just doesn't seem to realize or appreciate the tools at his disposal to hire big time coaches here at NU. Mark Whipple? Really? that's the best you could do to save your own job? Frost won't entertain the idea of hiring guys with more experience than himself, which is virtually everyone. I think Mickey was Trev's idea.

If it gets to the point where if you have to hand-lead Frost to making the correct decisions, then why have him at all? I'm betting a hundred dollar bill putting Trev in as HC last Saturday would have resulted in a win. He would have let the coaches do their job without needing to stick his finger in the pie.

Brand new shiny playhouse for the athletes.

Guaranteed 90K folks on Saturdays .

Historic powerhouse.

Strong viable conference.

There are coaches out there that will listen.

"Ohhhhhh......they will come Trev.....they will definitely come".

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back