• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Be honest...

As they lined up for the kickoff, I was saying, "whatever you do, don't give up a return for a TD and lose the momentum."

Honestly, if it had worked, I'd have been stoked, but probably thinking it was stupid and that we dodged a huge bullet.

what if we did film study on special teams?

What if we practiced onside kicks?

What if we coached blocking?

What if our head coach had a clue?

We are the first team in HISTORY to lose seven straight one digit games. Lots of what ifs to be had.

Would still be a terrible call
And would have given SF the “confidence” to do it again till it didn’t work. Remember in ‘08 and Bo would call that fake field goal where the holder would pitch the ball to Henery and he’d run for a first down? It worked a couple times till he tried it against Oklahoma and they stole the ball in mid air and took it to the house for an easy 6

Last edited:
I believe SF made the same onside kick call his first season against Ohio State. Didn’t work then either. He never learns.

It didn't.

Look we had just secured a two score lead and had momentum. We were clearly NOT dominating in the trenches. So at least make them go the distance. Make them earn it. It was a 35-40 yard gift and a loss of any momentum we had.
It was that moment we see in every one of these games, where we all say oh crap here we go. Self inflicted wound and this one from the coach himself. It was ridiculous! Even if it worked.

If the onside kick had worked, it would still have been an unnecessary and inappropriate risk to have taken given that we scored two quick touchdowns to take a two possession lead. We needed to try to make it MORE difficult for NW to score again not easier. The risk of what ended up happening was just too high.

Had we miraculously covered the onside kick, maybe we go down and score again and increase our momentum further.

But it was a knuckle head call.

what if we did film study on special teams?

What if we practiced onside kicks?

What if we coached blocking?

What if our head coach had a clue?

We are the first team in HISTORY to lose seven straight one digit games. Lots of what ifs to be had.

That's a lot of whats.....

We might have won. But it would only mask the deeper issues of the team. Honestly just can't fathom that call. As everyone else has said, if we recovered it I would not have thought "what a great call," I would have thought "got away with one there!"

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back