• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Official: USC/UCLA Joining B1G in 2024

ESPN keeps reporting 2 super conferences with 20 teams each. More is coming. Trev said it’s just the beginning. How soon? Who knows. But schools are scrambling so they aren’t left out. Thank God we weren’t still languishing in the Big 12.
we also might still be wining too...

put stroud in nebraskas offense last year and i bet his numbers are slightly better than AM's. supporting cast matters a lot and he benefits from it. when he gets to the nfl, he will be avg....

Exactly. And Caleb Williams will have a solid supporting cast as well at USC.

The point of my argument is that just because it's November in the Midwest, USC isn't going to suddenly struggle to function.

Probably not far off regarding the amount of money ND would be leaving on the table if they do not join the B1G now.

At some point ego will have to give way to the financials!

Look for ND and Stanford to be announced together....followed by Oregon and Washington.

Oregon is almost B1G country!

The main thing that would surprise me at this point would be that the BIG did not expand with at least two more teams in the next couple of weeks. I think those will come from a list of ND, Wash, Or, Stanford and Cal.

I would however also be surprised if they looked to the East to get more teams.
I would have to agree. While the SEC had a big win with Texas and Oklahoma…it wasn’t a large expansion of their footprint from A&M, Arkansas and LSU in their backyards.

The B1G put a shot across their bow taking the LA market. It’s likely they could lock up the western part of the nation with a Oregon/Washington/Stanford deal. Or they could get really creative and go right into the heart of The southeast going for a Florida State/Miami/Clemson combination. Not sure I’d like that but the national presence would rock the SEC.

I really can't see teams like Washington, Oregon and Stanford not eventually being invited.

The Big Ten and Pac-12 have been linked to each other since 1947. I think they want to keep an affiliation with the best of that conference and they can do that - AND - corner some major TV markets. Those three teams would/will allow the B1G to own not just California, but the entire west coast, encompassing the entire pacific northwest. Heck, those five schools basically give you ownership of the US west of the Rockies.

It also allows USC and UCLA to have a pod of teams they can play on an annual basis. Those five teams can play each other every year and then can schedule their 3 non-conference teams and have them be schools that are in Pacific time zones as well. That would leave only 4 games where they'd be playing current B1G teams and the conference could space those out so they're not hit too hard by the travel and timezone issues.

I think they're eventually going to go for 24, not 20. This could allow for the additions of Cal, Utah or BYU. Probably not all three, though, as I imagine they'll want to grab a few teams in the North Carolina/Virginia area.

I also don't get the suggestion that Kansas would/should be considered. They bring nothing to the table outside of basketball and these decisions are football driven. Sure they allow you a foothold into the KC metro, but IMPO that isn't enough to have them above other schools.

They'd be much better off going after Duke if basketball is part of the argument. The Blue Devils are the "Alabama" of hoops and they'd offer a much better TV market and recruiting pipeline for the conference. Their academic reputation is also a nice bonus. And unlike Kansas, their football team is actually respectable.

I think the ideal 8 additions to bring the B1G to 24 are Notre Dame, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia and Georgia Tech. The first 7 were pretty easy for me, I settled on Georgia Tech because it gives you Atlanta and a presence in the south for recruiting. They're also a strong academic school and competitive in several sports. Admittedly, I can see an argument for a few schools in their spot.

I wonder if the B1G will pay the cost of getting their desired ACC teams out of their GOR contracts, or wait and see if the SEC starts grabbing teams like Clemson, Miami and Florida State and watch the ACC simply crumble (which I think is inevitable anyways).

I really can't see teams like Washington, Oregon and Stanford not eventually being invited.

The Big Ten and Pac-12 have been linked to each other since 1947. I think they want to keep an affiliation with the best of that conference and they can do that - AND - corner some major TV markets. Those three teams would/will allow the B1G to own not just California, but the entire west coast, encompassing the entire pacific northwest. Heck, those five schools basically give you ownership of the US west of the Rockies.

It also allows USC and UCLA to have a pod of teams they can play on an annual basis. Those five teams can play each other every year and then can schedule their 3 non-conference teams and have them be schools that are in Pacific time zones as well. That would leave only 4 games where they'd be playing current B1G teams and the conference could space those out so they're not hit too hard by the travel and timezone issues.

I think they're eventually going to go for 24, not 20. This could allow for the additions of Cal, Utah or BYU. Probably not all three, though, as I imagine they'll want to grab a few teams in the North Carolina/Virginia area.

I also don't get the suggestion that Kansas would/should be considered. They bring nothing to the table outside of basketball and these decisions are football driven. Sure they allow you a foothold into the KC metro, but IMPO that isn't enough to have them above other schools.

They'd be much better off going after Duke if basketball is part of the argument. The Blue Devils are the "Alabama" of hoops and they'd offer a much better TV market and recruiting pipeline for the conference. Their academic reputation is also a nice bonus. And unlike Kansas, their football team is actually respectable.

I think the ideal 8 additions to bring the B1G to 24 are Notre Dame, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia and Georgia Tech. The first 7 were pretty easy for me, I settled on Georgia Tech because it gives you Atlanta and a presence in the south for recruiting. They're also a strong academic school and competitive in several sports. Admittedly, I can see an argument for a few schools in their spot.

I wonder if the B1G will pay the cost of getting their desired ACC teams out of their GOR contracts, or wait and see if the SEC starts grabbing teams like Clemson, Miami and Florida State and watch the ACC simply crumble (which I think is inevitable anyways).

This is a great post, but I would add that I don't think Dukes football program is respectable now that Cutcliffe retired. I think if the ACC gets poached and folda, Duke might be left without a power 5 chair.

5ugl14.jpg
He's the only weatherman on here and he's still not my favorite

I’m ok with Oregon, maybe they can lend us their uniform designer. New world order in football means a new team via portal every year, new recruiting areas opening up, new coaches, why not a new look to match

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back