• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Whatever happened to Mike Riley?

I cried (not really, but I wanted to), laughed, and almost drove off the road when I heard he was hired to coach the Cornhuskers. True story. I couldn’t believe it. Just a bad football coach. Never in a billion years (not 1 person did either), did I think Scott Frost could be worse than Mike Riley. The possibility never crossed my mind.

The further away SF gets from MR's culture and players the worse his record is.

Shocked What GIF - Shocked What Outrage - Discover & Share GIFs

C

Last edited:

I don’t remember the number, but I wonder how many of those 29 losses did Nebraska have a legit chance to win? Only Ohio State has manhandled NU, mostly. They’ve been in position to win the majority, only for complete chaos (you name it, they’ve done it) to rear its ugly head at the worst times, over and over and over and over.

I dunno. seems like a lot of these games weren’t that competitive. I know that we somehow closed two games this year to one score very late in the game. I think a lot of it is we suck, and the competition plays to our level. I feel quite sure that the big boys aren’t real jazzed to play a team that’s .250 over the last 4 years against P5 competition.

Last edited:

Be great if they could have him come back and tell Frost how he was able to be so successful here.
He wouldn’t listen. It’s called ego. He is still living in fantasyland thinking he is a power 5 coach. That’s why Orlando was a perfect fit for him.

The previous coach I thought was the worst was Callahan, and no one mentions him. He's a great line coach in the NFL,highly regarded, but from the beginning he treated UN as a pit stop and cared not at all about the school.

MR was a better coach than SF has been so far. I don't know how good he would have been in the long run - not so good I suspect. I don't think he was a good recruiter.

I just can't accept the arguments that "we were so close" as showing good qualities in a HC. I know many sound people on the board really believe that, but to me that shows a distinct failure in a HC - the inability to finish. Once or twice, OK, but over and over again is a display of a basic weakness.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back