• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How do we solve our red zone deficiency?

nchusker

Red Shirt
10 Year Member
That’s what ails us. We move the ball up and down the field but we get to the red zone and we crumble! We stumble and fumble but no rumble!
I do think it’s worth trying to solve this before we fire Frost. Changes do need be made.

That’s what ails us. We move the ball up and down the field but we get to the red zone and we crumble! We stumble and fumble but no rumble!
I do think it’s worth trying to solve this before we fire Frost. Changes do need be made.
Some of it is subpar OL play, but some of it is the guy calling the plays. If you can't get much movement at the LOS, short yardage near the goal line will be challenging with any run you dial up. On the other hand, if you can't go with the odds and run a QB sneak on the 1 inch line, I'm not sure what can be done to help you as a play caller in that situation.....

Some of it is subpar OL play, but some of it is the guy calling the plays. If you can't get much movement at the LOS, short yardage near the goal line will be challenging with any run you dial up. On the other hand, if you can't go with the odds and run a QB sneak on the 1 inch line, I'm not sure what can be done to help you as a play caller in that situation.....
Certainly the OL play needs be improved. About the QB sneak, I was of the same thinking then I read an article that talked about all that can go wrong lining up under center especially if its not practiced very much. So on that I’m willing to go with Scott and his reasons why not to run it. He did consider it. So the question is how do we improve our OL play? I think we all know what needs be done here. I just hope its not too late for Frost.

Certainly the OL play needs be improved. About the QB sneak, I was of the same thinking then I read an article that talked about all that can go wrong lining up under center especially if its not practiced very much. So on that I’m willing to go with Scott and his reasons why not to run it. He did consider it. So the question is how do we improve our OL play? I think we all know what needs be done here. I just hope its not too late for Frost.
All is true but what if Frost refuses to make changes? Are we stuck with coach that refuses to make changes and we won't fire because of massive buyout. This is kind of what I see happening!

Few observations:
1. PUT YOUR BEST ATHLETES ON THE FIELD. FIRST AND FOREMOST.
2. Occasionally utilize a blocking back and more heavy packages as we did against Illinois (successfully).
3. Utilize folks like Allen more. The guy is 6'9", he is the perfect candidate to "box out" smaller defenders - a la Gronkowski
4. Don't get cute. This is the B1G. Not the Pac. We heard so much about this power running game that we were supposedly implementing, yet we get inside the 10-yard line and Scott reverts back to his Oregon roots.
5. For the love of God, teach your QB to take snaps under center; the easiest thing to do in the sport of football.

Of course, the biggest element that needs fixing is our O-line. Unfortunately, that ain't getting fixed anytime soon. There will be no "gelling" when we have underdeveloped guys playing critical positions (RT/LT) who tend to get manhandled by the opposition. We also have underwhelming guard play. Possible incorporation of more designed rollouts might be in order.

Last edited:
Few things:
1. PUT YOUR BEST ATHLETES ON THE FIELD. FIRST AND FOREMOST.
2. Occasionally utilize a blocking back and more heavy packages as we did against Illinois (successfully).
3. Utilize folks like Allen more. The guy is 6'9", he is the perfect candidate to "box out" smaller defenders - a la Gronkowski
4. Don't get cute. This is the B1G. Not the Pac. We heard so much about this power running game that we were supposedly implementing, yet we get inside the 10-yard line and Scott reverts back to his Oregon roots.
5. For the love of God, teach your QB to take snaps under center; the easiest thing to do in the sport of football.

Of course, the biggest element that needs fixing is our O-line. Unfortunately, that ain't getting fixed anytime soon. There will be no "gelling" when we have underdeveloped guys playing critical positions (RT/LT) who tend to get manhandled by the opposition. We also have underwhelming guard play. Possible incorporation of more designed rollouts might be in order.
It seems that no one will acknowledge that we are running freshmen out there against juniors & seniors. They're going to lose a lot of battles.

Everyone seems to run the fade against us and it seems to work. I thought that was one of the reasons to get tall receivers? Maybe we don’t trust the QB throwing it?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back