• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost's record vs. all FBS coaches with at least 40 games at their current school

For those too lazy to click the link.

Among FBS coaches with at least 40 games under their belt, Frost is...
  • 2nd-worst on overall winning percentage (0.375)
  • 3rd-worst on winning percentage against their conference (0.322)
  • Dead Last on winning against opponents who have a winning record (0.100)
  • 2nd-worst on winning versus opponents who have a winning conference record (0.055)
  • 2nd-worst on winning versus Power 5 opponents (0.294)
  • Dead Last on winning versus Top 25 opponents (0.000)

This is damning.

That’s the data that Trev has to work with. Up to him to tell us why that has earned another year. Barring a 3-1 finish that doesn’t add up to earning the right to move this team to the next level. He’s kept us right where we were and you can argue by the numbers even worse than when he got here. Yes - I agree with the fact that the team has looked better this year. Yet we are still 3-5. You play to win the game

That’s the data that Trev has to work with. Up to him to tell us why that has earned another year. Barring a 3-1 finish that doesn’t add up to earning the right to move this team to the next level. He’s kept us right where we were and you can argue by the numbers even worse than when he got here. Yes - I agree with the fact that the team has looked better this year. Yet we are still 3-5. You play to win the game

The only thing keeping Frost alive is his huge buyout, our ridiculously hard schedule, and the native son status.

Collectively, those things probably buy him another season, but he shouldn't be retained based solely on the win/loss column.

I just saw this as well. Shocking even to me, and I've been on the Fire Frost Train since last year.

I'm not on the fire Frost train, but I've been on the "this ain't gonna work out train" since the Iowa game in 2019 after which Frost said he "inherited a team with weak confidence."

I think Trev stands pat, and it's probably the right decision. Frost still has ~75% support. No coach is going to succeed here if the fanbase isn't behind him. Callahan and Riley were both poor hires, but we saw what happens when you fire a guy who still has broad support. It sets up the next guy for failure.

I'm not on the fire Frost train, but I've been on the "this ain't gonna work out train" since the Iowa game in 2019 after which Frost said he "inherited a team with weak confidence."

I think Trev stands pat, and it's probably the right decision. Frost still has ~75% support. No coach is going to succeed here if the fanbase isn't behind him. Callahan and Riley were both poor hires, but we saw what happens when you fire a guy who still has broad support. It sets up the next guy for failure.
Soooo, wait a few more years of losing seasons until fan support is lower and talent level is worse? Yeah, thats really setting up the new coach for success. Right now there is talent on the team and they at least look the part physically. In a year or two of further futility through graduation, the portal and crap recruiting classes the talent cupboard will be pretty bare

Soooo, wait a few more years of losing seasons until fan support is lower and talent level is worse? Yeah, thats really setting up the new coach for success. Right now there is talent on the team and they at least look the part physically. In a year or two of further futility through graduation, the portal and crap recruiting classes the talent cupboard will be pretty bare

I didn't say wait a few more years. I think you give him one more year. Yes, any coach not named Scott Frost is probably gone. But it is Scott Frost. You give him an extra year you wouldn't give someone with no ties to program.

Unbelievable that some still support him.

Improvement? Really? Four years and losing a couple of close games to decent opponents in his fourth year means he gets a pass on his NU cumulative W/L record?

Improvement? Really? If his teams had improved just 5% each game since he came, maybe then. But they are the same team, just with different players.

We have become that team which our opponents circle as a certain W when the schedules are released each year.

And by the way, to those who have followed Husker football for a long time, he does not have iconic status in the program. He was a good player on a really good team that lucked out down in Missouri and that's about it.

Frost may have roughly 75% support as of today (I'd suggest it's a bit less than that, but still probably greater than 50%). However, if he were to finish in 3-9 or 4-8, that support percentage will be 50% at most. He doesn't really have a lot of room to go up in fan support this season, but he does still have opportunity to go down. The problem is, Frost could go 4-8 this season and have another losing season next year -- and still have far greater support than any other coach would have in Lincoln. There's still a "native son" factoring into the approval rating for many fans.

Whether or not the next coach (if or when that happens) is set up for failure or not largely depends on Trev Alberts. We've had some poor ADs making coaching decisions in the past.

I didn't say wait a few more years. I think you give him one more year. Yes, any coach not named Scott Frost is probably gone. But it is Scott Frost. You give him an extra year you wouldn't give someone with no ties to program.

I could debate that extra year was this year. Frost wouldn't have lasted beyond 3 losing consecutive seasons at just about any other P5 school. And some, he wouldn't have lasted beyond 2.

Anyhow, as I've said before, I don't think anyone should decide today whether or not Frost returns next season. Let the season play out. I'll bet Trev hopes he's in position to bring Frost back -- but he'd be silly to lock himself into that with four games left. If we lose out, he'll have a tough decision to make.

Last edited:

Man, I can’t believe this. It’s like a bad dream. How the texas could I have been soooo wrong? Without a massive, quick improvement, turnaround, of at least 3-1 down the stretch, it looks like Nebraska is going to fire another coach. I just never thought it could go down like this.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back