• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska vs Michigan Game Thread

What a gut punch that was. Love the effort and fight. My biggest issue is personnel issues:

1. I think they need to try Ezra Miller at tackle if Prochaska is out. Benhart unfortunately is just struggling too much.

2. Why Betts, Manning, Allen and Vokolev get less touches than Falk? Maybe I’m wrong on being tough on Falk as he is a good player but need game breakers.

3. He pulled Yant because he went wrong way on a play. He pulls some guys and sits them but other guys (see OL) make ton of mistakes but sticks with them. When we need a yard up the middle go with big back. Johnson did have a great game but he should not be used to go up the gut.

Finally - The two minute drive needs some work. How many games have we had ball with chance of win and blow it?

On Yant I think you can pull him because we have a really good stable of backs. For other positions I don't think we have the luxury of pulling them. Obviously that's not fair but I suspect that might be why. I like that he was held accountable. He'll be a better player because of it and man I think he has a a great future in front of him.

I agree on the 2 minute offense. We've needed it a couple times this year and it wasn't very effective or crisp.

We have to keep in mind that the trend to success isn’t always linear. It rarely is. Sure Frost has the second worst coaching record in Husker history, but the dude has our boys fighting their butts off every single week. I’m enjoying this more than I thought I would. Yeah it was a loss, but its a good Michigan team. WE DIDNT GET BLOWN OUT

But that's not the potential message being sent here. Yant got benched because he made a mental mistake. Martinez has made a whole slew of them, including one that lost the game, and has kept his job.

That is the message being sent. There's a reason a bunch of offensive players who had a chance to come back decided to leave, and Frost's double standard when it comes to Martinez IMO is probably a big reason why.

I don't disagree. It needs to apply to everyone equally.

On Yant I think you can pull him because we have a really good stable of backs. For other positions I don't think we have the luxury of pulling them. Obviously that's not fair but I suspect that might be why. I like that he was held accountable. He'll be a better player because of it and man I think he has a a great future in front of him.

I agree on the 2 minute offense. We've needed it a couple times this year and it wasn't very effective or crisp.

But Nebraska's not using those backs. Only two RBs got a carry tonight, Yant and Johnson. Stepp, Morrison, etc. didn't see the field at all. I'd have to see a statistical breakdown to be sure, but it looked like Johnson wasn't having much success running between the tackles at all.

What a gut punch that was. Love the effort and fight. My biggest issue is personnel issues:

1. I think they need to try Ezra Miller at tackle if Prochaska is out. Benhart unfortunately is just struggling too much.

2. Why Betts, Manning, Allen and Vokolev get less touches than Falk? Maybe I’m wrong on being tough on Falk as he is a good player but need game breakers.

3. He pulled Yant because he went wrong way on a play. He pulls some guys and sits them but other guys (see OL) make ton of mistakes but sticks with them. When we need a yard up the middle go with big back. Johnson

3. He pulled Yant because he went wrong way on a play. He pulls some guys and sits them but other guys (see OL) make ton of mistakes but sticks with them. When we need a yard up the middle go with big back. Johnson did have a great game but he should not be used to go up the gut.

Finally - The two minute drive needs some work. How many games have we had ball with chance of win and blow it?

that wasn’t a punch in the gut. More like like a kick to the inner groin regions.

Good points. None of that matters if Frost doesn't win enough to stay. This team will do what it does best. They will go into Iowa 5-6 and find way to end 5-7.
I am surprised at myself saying this and planting my leg so to speak but I do not see this at all. I had the best time watching this game in a long time. I few off the coach screaming and cheering and I missed that. But I can see this team pulling it out. Sadly though yes recent history makes me pause some but I trust my eyes today. This team is there just one play away.
I was not saying this after Illinois or even the non Confrence games...
But the big BUT is the Loss still sucks. No one can convince me that the OU, M State or even today, even though losses and SUCKED were all one play away.

I don’t celebrate losses either. But I will give the respect that is due to a team that 3 times this year has taken a highly ranked team to the wire. They are getting better and giving themselves opportunities to pull off an upset. The defense continues to show they are for real. Keep the faith.
All week we heard this team was so overrated. So which is it Kenny?

This (our) team is talented. Very talented.

Ask yourself why after four years they can't close out games? I'll wait for an answer.

Again open your eyes. That was not a coaching loss by any stretch

This was a team loss no doubt about it.

However, the very conservative play calling in the first half didn’t help. Nebraska continually stifled it’s own offense by getting stuffed running the ball up the middle on early downs which put the team in 3rd and long on many drives. The play calling was very vanilla in the first half.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Nebraska fans have adopted moral victories as a positive. A way of life. And it won't stop.

Let that sink in.
No not at all but I also do not expect a quick turn around magically either. I am looking for the the improvement that is clearly there. With that I gain confidence that we will turn this around. Again this team is much improved but to your point not where it needs to be that we can agree on. I just see it differently I guess.

I am surprised at myself saying this and planting my leg so to speak but I do not see this at all. I had the best time watching this game in a long time. I few off the coach screaming and cheering and I missed that. But I can see this team pulling it out. Sadly though yes recent history makes me pause some but I trust my eyes today. This team is there just one play away.
I was not saying this after Illinois or even the non Confrence games...
But the big BUT is the Loss still sucks. No one can convince me that the OU, M State or even today, even though losses and SUCKED were all one play away.
I feel you. I think that is what we say when our team falls short. How many times do we lose games we should have won or could have one before you say, we're losers. We find ways to lose. It's binary, really. Close only counts in horseshoes. Our own players said it "moral victories" don't count. Saying we're one play away is still a loss. Either you win or you move on to next head coach. That's the reality.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back