• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Husker Conference Realignment Scenario

Does Nebraska join a 20-team SEC?

• No, because we get a lot of advantages from the B1G and this conference is solid.

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • No, because the culture of the SEC goes against everything we stand for

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Yes, because the SEC is clearly the conference on the rise and this ensures survival.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Yes, we don’t really fit in the B1G and at least the SEC didn’t try to cancel football last year

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters
Bowlbsy needs to put down the crackpipe and step away. Just watch and see if those 2 teams are playing in the Big 12-2 for 4 more years. He's blowing smoke imo.

Huskers are still a valuable commodity in college football as the NUMBERS show! Many millions brought in, a loyal and stable fan base. All the Huskers need to do it start having back to back decent seasons, play in decent bowls and they will be fine. Coloradao? haha make me laugh! Hell that can't even get people to fill their stadium as with Purdue, IL and NW.

For the record of course WINNING changes everything! It's something HCSF had better start making happen this season imo.
If they don’t start winning, those numbers will fall. Losing doesn’t bring fans.

Point I was making is, over the past five years NU is no better than either of those two schools, and many others like them. If this was 1997, NU would be the one of the head chefs at the table. It’s not. Nebraska is going the way of Minnesota. Once a power, bitten by the cold and horrible decisions. Can they recover? I don’t know, but the longer it goes the harder it is.

Last edited:
Nebraska has the fact that they are too 25 in revenue also. They are top ten in social media following. Nebraska is still more valuable than most other schools in college football. This expansion has nothing to do with if a team is a winner. This is all money driven. That said, I believe the BIG is a solid conference. I don’t know why Nebraska would even consider leaving. The BIG and the SEC are the two top conferences in all of college football. Now if I where in the PAC or ACC I might be worried.
They can’t help but be too 25 in revenue with the BIG paycheck. Fans will dwindle if they don’t start winning. They already are.

It absolutely does have to do with winners, and money, of course. They just didn’t take Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, they took OU and Texas. Top 10 programs all time. I mean, that’s a strong league, even stronger with the additions they just made. It’s going to be increasingly difficult for most northern schools. All the power and money is being tilted. I don’t like what’s happening. The sport is being destroyed right in front of us.

Nebraska has the fact that they are too 25 in revenue also. They are top ten in social media following. Nebraska is still more valuable than most other schools in college football. This expansion has nothing to do with if a team is a winner. This is all money driven. That said, I believe the BIG is a solid conference. I don’t know why Nebraska would even consider leaving. The BIG and the SEC are the two top conferences in all of college football. Now if I where in the PAC or ACC I might be worried.

This is absolutely money-driven. Texas has had a much better run than Nebraska recently, but let’s be honest, they’re not really making opponents shake in their cleats.

Why is Texas being invited, then? Money, strong brand, fan following, historically demonstrated high ceiling. Sound like any other team you know? ;)

No its conference realignment so the rumors will fly. It will settle down soon I think!

Not trying to start or perpetuate any rumors, my friend - not saying that the SEC would even be interested in NU. I’m just trying to get a feel for what Husker fans want, in the current climate.

Not trying to start or perpetuate any rumors, my friend - not saying that the SEC would even be interested in NU. I’m just trying to get a feel for what Husker fans want, in the current climate.
IMO, DONU would never be recruited to join! I do like what a prevous poster said about joining forces with the PAC12 and owning TV East to West coast. This is going to be an even bigger Charlie Foxtrot before we know it.

For me it's a question of student/athlete versus athlete / +/- student.
If it's the former we would stay in the BIG10, an academic/sports conference.
If it's the latter, we would most definitely join the SEC. A football religion, regardless of GPA conference.
With few "super conferences" on the horizon and NIL, the money, IMHO, will equal out with the few "monopoly" media/streaming deals for each conference.
Application of both disciplines (athlete vs student) require the hunger to learn, a desired craft and develop skills.
Nebraska football will have to hitch their wagon to the athlete (who may or may not care for an education) OR to the student / athlete who may not care to make it to the next level but desires to be a student/athlete in the traditional sense.
Academic Conference against the Athletic Conference with built in axes to grind.
Interesting times.

Agree with @Frosty1980 ..... any scenario is on the table right now TBH. Who knows how the next month or 12 will transpire. In my opinion, and assuming the Huskers remain in the B1G, the conference would fare much better to try and pluck a few Pac12 giants like USC, Stanford, Oregon....than to court the best of the leftover Big12 schools. It would be fun to play some old foes

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Back