• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Husker Conference Realignment Scenario

Does Nebraska join a 20-team SEC?

• No, because we get a lot of advantages from the B1G and this conference is solid.

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • No, because the culture of the SEC goes against everything we stand for

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Yes, because the SEC is clearly the conference on the rise and this ensures survival.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Yes, we don’t really fit in the B1G and at least the SEC didn’t try to cancel football last year

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters

BleedinHuskerRed

Scout Team
10 Year Member
In all the conference realignment hubbub, I had a thought and I’m curious what people think.

What if the SEC were to decide to expand to 20 teams and reached out to DONU with an offer to join. Do we say yes?

The BiG will be actively looking to add a couple pronto.

I believe they will come from the Pac.

Only my opinion.

Athletic history: USC

Academic history: Stanford

Instant coast to coast presence.

Ok so we would say no to the SEC in that situation, because the B1G would be even more solid?

Last edited:

Would or should?

I believe we should say no the S$C.

I do hope we would.

I do too, for the record. I’m just curious if there are fans that are unhappy enough with the B1G / concerned about survival that they think we should make that move (in my hypothetical situation.)

I do too, for the record. I’m just curious if there are fans that are unhappy enough with the B1G / concerned about survival that they think we should make that move (in my hypothetical situation.)

The BiG X will always be here. I can understand the unhappiness of many also.

The only way we would leave imo is if we wanted to go.

I can't see a conference courting us though?

Don't really think the SEC wants a team in their conference that plays a good portion of their season in very cold weather. Can you really imagine a some of those sissy's SEC teams playing in the cold, snow and freezing conditions in Lincoln? Nah... they want nothing to do with those type playing conditions imo.

The BIG is really looking better and better and I'm perfectly happy trying to climb up to winning our division most years!

SEC teams might get a slight taste of that kind of weather playing late season game in Norman.

Last edited:

I know it is a hypothetical scenario, but I don't think NU would be on the short list if the SEC adds 4 - or even 8 - more teams. Maybe if they expand to 30.

Honestly, I agree. As I alluded to in a different thread, the idea that the SEC may expand to 32 teams, take all the top football teams and leave NU out haunts my nightmares. But that’s also part of why I’m asking this question, because if others are concerned about this as well, would it be worth jumping if they asked at only a 20-team expansion?

Honestly, I agree. As I alluded to in a different thread, the idea that the SEC may expand to 32 teams, take all the top football teams and leave NU out haunts my nightmares. But that’s also part of why I’m asking this question, because if others are concerned about this as well, would it be worth jumping if they asked at only a 20-team expansion?
I would be surprised if a single BIG team jumped ship to move to SEC at least for the foreseeable future. There's still a lot of pride associated with the BIG 10 and frankly some excellent schools and not just athletically. Push comes to shove the BIG could certainly expand with some decent schools if it was necessary. I believe the SEC will let things simmer at least until TEXASS and Swooners are actually playing in the conference.

The fact is, right now NU is an also ran in football. The only thing it really has at the moment is a big stadium, loyal fans, and quite a bit of history. It’s a program no better than Purdue or Colorado at the moment. The only thing that will change that is winning. I think the SEC will stay south. It will mostly end up, warm versus cold.

The fact is, right now NU is an also ran in football. The only thing it really has at the moment is a big stadium, loyal fans, and quite a bit of history. It’s a program no better than Purdue or Colorado at the moment. The only thing that will change that is winning. I think the SEC will stay south. It will mostly end up, warm versus cold.
Nebraska has the fact that they are too 25 in revenue also. They are top ten in social media following. Nebraska is still more valuable than most other schools in college football. This expansion has nothing to do with if a team is a winner. This is all money driven. That said, I believe the BIG is a solid conference. I don’t know why Nebraska would even consider leaving. The BIG and the SEC are the two top conferences in all of college football. Now if I where in the PAC or ACC I might be worried.

Huskers are still a valuable commodity in college football as the NUMBERS show! Many millions brought in, a loyal and stable fan base. All the Huskers need to do it start having back to back decent seasons, play in decent bowls and they will be fine. Coloradao? haha make me laugh! Hell that can't even get people to fill their stadium as with Purdue, IL and NW.

For the record of course WINNING changes everything! It's something HCSF had better start making happen this season imo.

Last edited:
Bob Bowlbsy is stonewalling OU+UT, saying they will indeed play in the Big XII for four more years.

Meanwhile, Pac-12 commissioner has asked that the playoff expansion talks halt until the conference dust settles.

I doubt either of these things will have any longterm permanence, but it buys everyone TIME.

Expect the B1G to expand, maybe even a full merger with the Pac-12, but I think a 24 conference is more likely.

If we pick up 10 more, I'd say we chase Notre Dame, Kansas, TCU, Colorado, Arizona State, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon and Washington.

Baylor and Oklahoma State on the fringe. Texas Tech, KSU and ISU next tier down.

GET TICKETS

Back