• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Culture Still a Prob?

We still talking about this? Was surprised to see this...

Me too! Seems irrelevant to me at this point. I think, by and large, it has been fixed. At least no visible signs of need that I’ve noticed.

If we win, it's fixed. If we continue to lose it will be because of culture issues from Riley. I'm not sure on the shelf life of Riley culture but it appears it can last long past his recruits.

To some extent, given our schedule, not winning will probably have more to do with the level of competition than any cultural issues at this point. We have either finished converting our program into a B1G type and level of a program, or it is still a work in progress. We will know this fall.

I think we continue to have culture issues to the extent that what we're doing isn't working. I think we need to revisit how we recruit, and also possibly who we put on the field. Half the time I think we make mistakes because our guys are giving 200%, and that extra effort isn't producing results, it's actually producing mental errors. Maybe that's fixable with a different coaching style, but I think a lot of it is the players that we decide to put on the field and the values behind our program.

Put simply, "Nebraska football" now means attitude over results.

Interestingly, we've now fired two coaches that did produce results (Solich and Pelini), and we fired two other coaches the day they were hired (you can't tell the fanbase ever game Callahan or Riley an honest chance). And now we're stuck in some cargo cult (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult) trying to reproduce the 90s, and I don't think we're being very smart about it. We're building a program based on our impression of Nebraska 90s football, but what really defined the 90s was that we had winners in every corner of the program. We weren't "nice", we were winners. And until we build our program around results, and we select players based on results, and we give playing time to players that produce results, etc., we won't have a program that produces results.

They're not all gone. Maybe not even half of them are gone.
Yeah, I don't know. I'm not close enough to the program to know who they are. And I'm sure it's next.to impossible to eliminate all the bad juju guys. But it just seems like the "majority influence" now is on board with the proper mindset.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back