• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kaden Helms just burned out on NE and wants out of the state

Status
Not open for further replies.
The above bolded 100%.
Right. Kid sat with his head down in the final meeting with Frost because him and his family had to tell our head man he wasn't being used properly and we weren't winning enough to get him to the next level. I don't agree with that statement from him or his supporting cast, sorry we tried getting you the ball dude. But I do appreciate Wan'Dale doing our staff a solid.

Winning and putting people in the league cures a lot. Wan'Dale is still here if we were dangerous in 2019. We are in 3 of the 4 recruits out of Omaha's top 5s if we are winning more games. There's schools in these kids' top 5 that didn't even offer until 2021. Hopefully we get to a bowl game this year to show some upward trajectory.

Last edited:

So, interesting plot twist here. If these kids would come here if only we win and to get them to come here we have to win (supposedly), if we start winning without this type of player then did we need them to start with?

Not trying to be nasty to anyone and I get that kids these days just want to be winners (Wandale little different situation), do we want the type of kid that wants to be here and make us better or the kind that just wants to hop on the bandwagon and ride along with a bunch of winners? I know this sounds pretty simple and again not bashing on a kid, if you don't want to be here for whatever reason, that is fine.

I do believe the staff has to get better in communicating, that sounds like a real big issue, If kids are not coming here strictly because they are not being shown 'love' or they just want to be on a winning team, some of these kids are going to have a rough life ahead of them. I do wish them well wherever they go.

So, interesting plot twist here. If these kids would come here if only we win and to get them to come here we have to win (supposedly), if we start winning without this type of player then did we need them to start with?

Not trying to be nasty to anyone and I get that kids these days just want to be winners (Wandale little different situation), do we want the type of kid that wants to be here and make us better or the kind that just wants to hop on the bandwagon and ride along with a bunch of winners? I know this sounds pretty simple and again not bashing on a kid, if you don't want to be here for whatever reason, that is fine.

I do believe the staff has to get better in communicating, that sounds like a real big issue, If kids are not coming here strictly because they are not being shown 'love' or they just want to be on a winning team, some of these kids are going to have a rough life ahead of them. I do wish them well wherever they go.
Good question. I think it's easier to keep local kids around. For example, go read the tweet that made the coaches send Delancey packing. Kids from out of state have no problem taking off if things aren't going the way they thought they would or they were told.

But I think your answer is it's a stairstep scenario. We could have beaten Minnesota and I would think Illinois or Northwestern with who we already have. I think a couple of the kids in the 2022 class are all-conference caliber players that would help us "do better" than "just" beating Minnesota or Illinois.

Football sucks when you aren't winning. You practice 5 days a week and only play once. I don't think the kids wanting to go to Ohio State, Alabama, or Clemson are bandwagon kids. I just think they like winning. If we win we can start getting that next level of athlete and get into the top 15 range. That's speculation on my part though.

Good question. I think it's easier to keep local kids around. For example, go read the tweet that made the coaches send Delancey packing. Kids from out of state have no problem taking off if things aren't going the way they thought they would or they were told.

But I think your answer is it's a stairstep scenario. We could have beaten Minnesota and I would think Illinois or Northwestern with who we already have. I think a couple of the kids in the 2022 class are all-conference caliber players that would help us "do better" than "just" beating Minnesota or Illinois.

Football sucks when you aren't winning. You practice 5 days a week and only play once. I don't think the kids wanting to go to Ohio State, Alabama, or Clemson are bandwagon kids. I just think they like winning. If we win we can start getting that next level of athlete and get into the top 15 range. That's speculation on my part though.

Very good points. I do want the locals here, just makes everything better and more excitement around the program if it is local kids. I may argue that anyone from around here that wants to go to OSU, Bama or Clemson might be bandwagon simply because maybe they don't consider those teams if they are always on top, but there in lies the conundrum. We all can agree most of these kids would consider coming here if we start winning. I just want the kids that want to be here now and make us that winning team, instead of taking the easy way out and going to a winner (and I now they work just as hard, just kind of a metaphor).

Very good points. I do want the locals here, just makes everything better and more excitement around the program if it is local kids. I may argue that anyone from around here that wants to go to OSU, Bama or Clemson might be bandwagon simply because maybe they don't consider those teams if they are always on top, but there in lies the conundrum. We all can agree most of these kids would consider coming here if we start winning. I just want the kids that want to be here now and make us that winning team, instead of taking the easy way out and going to a winner (and I now they work just as hard, just kind of a metaphor).
I think getting kids like Carnie, Fidone, Hausmann, Prochazka, and then the guys that are here now like Nelson, Piper, Allen, those are the kind of kids you build your culture and locker room with. You can win some games you shouldn't with those guys. They are much better than their rankings, extremely undervalued. To your point, if kids don't want to be here it's not helping us win any games. But at some point we have to get those higher level kids to get us where we want to go, I don't think that's a revolutionary thought, just pointing it out.

The excitement level is just stagnant right now. People forget that in the 90s guys like Benning and even Childs looked around to go elsewhere, they even thought about transferring, so the thought will always be there from local kids. What else is out there? But what got the guys like Benning, Childs, Sims, Johnson, etc., to Lincoln was that they wanted to be a part of what they were seeing. We just aren't there right now. Again, me bringing up anything other coaches do differently probably doesn't matter if in November we are still in contention for the division and the CCG.

I'm hoping that we get to 7 wins this year and a bowl game and I think a lot of the issues will magically become non-issues.

Last edited:
Right. Kid sat with his head down in the final meeting with Frost because him and his family had to tell our head man he wasn't being used properly and we weren't winning enough to get him to the next level. I don't agree with that statement from him or his supporting cast, sorry we tried getting you the ball dude. But I do appreciate Wan'Dale doing our staff a solid.

Winning and putting people in the league cures a lot. Wan'Dale is still here if we were dangerous in 2019. We are in 3 of the 4 recruits out of Omaha's top 5s if we are winning more games. There's schools in these kids' top 5 that didn't even offer until 2021. Hopefully we get to a bowl game this year to show some upward trajectory.
I think I posted it somewhere on these boards, I thought it was really classy of Wandale not to burn the coaches, though I though any 18 year old kid not thinking 5 minutes in front of his face could have. For those viewing this post I am not saying he had reason to burn our staff, I am just saying most kids that age would have, or could have, and he chose not to. Really impressed me.

All very fair points Jon.

I think I posted it somewhere on these boards, I thought it was really classy of Wandale not to burn the coaches, though I though any 18 year old kid not thinking 5 minutes in front of his face could have. For those viewing this post I am not saying he had reason to burn our staff, I am just saying most kids that age would have, or could have, and he chose not to. Really impressed me.
When he decommitted the first time, Frost didn’t even want to go back after him. If he was going to let other people make his decisions for him, Scott wanted no part of it. He ended up spurning his circle to commit to SF, he has a lot of respect for him. But 2019 and 2020 didn’t go anything close to what they thought it would unfortunately.

I think getting kids like Carnie, Fidone, Hausmann, Prochazka, and then the guys that are here now like Nelson, Piper, Allen, those are the kind of kids you build your culture and locker room with. You can win some games you shouldn't with those guys. They are much better than their rankings, extremely undervalued. To your point, if kids don't want to be here it's not helping us win any games. But at some point we have to get those higher level kids to get us where we want to go, I don't think that's a revolutionary thought, just pointing it out.

The excitement level is just stagnant right now. People forget that in the 90s guys like Benning and even Childs looked around to go elsewhere, they even thought about transferring, so the thought will always be there from local kids. What else is out there? But what got the guys like Benning, Childs, Sims, Johnson, etc., to Lincoln was that they wanted to be a part of what they were seeing. We just aren't there right now. Again, me bringing up anything other coaches do differently probably doesn't matter if in November we are still in contention for the division and the CCG.

I'm hoping that we get to 7 wins this year and a bowl game and I think a lot of the issues will magically become non-issues.

Just an FYI I played against Ricky Davis and Junior Bryant amongst several other Creighton Prep Players that went onto the NFL that left Nebraska, we have talked many times about those that have left, it happens. I guess though Nebraska in the mid to late 80s was also in a bit of a funk.

Just an FYI I played against Ricky Davis and Junior Bryant amongst several other Creighton Prep Players that went onto the NFL that left Nebraska, we have talked many times about those that have left, it happens. I guess though Nebraska in the mid to late 80s was also in a bit of a funk.
I think there were 4 Div 1 running backs in Nebraska that year, and only George Achola went to Lincoln. It does happen. Now what were there names... Ricky Davis, Terry Thomas, Achola...

As far as your last sentence, you know that this statement is only opinion, because no one can know that all four recruits would be interested in UNL -- you contradict yourself from your first paragraph. Calling out people who disagree with your opinion as outside of "Anyone intelligent" is frankly below you, and weakens your argument. You provide good information and start threads that make people think. Please don't fall back on name calling, it's boring, and we have too much of it on HuskerMax.
Didnt read this last paragraph. I absolutely know for 100% fact that is the case. Unless the kids were lying to people early in the process. My first and last paragraph sync perfectly, there’s zero contradiction.

I didn’t say people that disagree with me are unintelligent. I said people who think Wan’Dale would still be transferring even if we were good and he was all-conference are unintelligent. I know that to be fact as well.

If the “unintelligent” I used offends someone based on what I say that is fact, its not me calling them that. It’s them disagreeing with fact. Which is.... unintelligent.

Even though what I typed was tough to read, nothing I said in that post was opinion.

Last edited:

I’ll take that funk ;)

I think guys leaving happens. Trevor Robinson, even Noah Fant just wanted out IMO (we could have done better recruiting him for offense). But guys like Williams and Phillips would be here if not for our missteps with the previous staff. Missteps are what typically cause our downfall recruiting in-state kids. It’s just compounded now with our worst four years the last 50.

He said what he said and why he is leaving and that's good enough for me.

Yeah I went from the desert to San Diego....boy was that different and the best decision I ever made. Even though I had 3 or 4 choices within a short drive from home.

Like him I wanted something different and it was an amazing experience.

Best of luck to him

Time to move on

You don't know us very well... :Lol:

I don't know if we are now doing all of those things in your first paragraph. I think we've gotten better, but we were playing catch up a bit with these guys (like we were with Dickerson). But I can tell you if we weren't doing any of those things that well, but we were winning, the local thoughts would change quite a bit. I mean, I sit here and say some issues I see, but I could proably say that with a few other schools but they are able to get away with it and get into the Top 5 of the kids because they have had more recent success.

Winning cures a lot.

Oh my gosh. We are so overdue for some winning.

It could cure so many ills. And frankly, Frost and Moos have taken this program about as far as it can go without actual results on the field.

Only one thing left to do at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back