• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Most underrated play in NU history

With just seconds remaining in the 3rd quarter of the 1995 Orange Bowl, Nebraska was trailing 17-9 but was driving in Miami territory. Brook Berringer had a hard time handling a snap, and he never quite got a clean handoff to the running back. Miami recovered the fumble, but the Husker defense forced the Canes to punt. The snap sailed over the punter's head, and he chased it down and tried to kick it out of the back of his own end zone. Nebraska got the ball 1st & goal inside the 5.

This is where the most underrated play occurs. Berringer tried to throw the ball away, but a Miami defender snagged it out of the air in the end zone. Nebraska had turned the ball over on two straight offensive snaps in Miami territory, and that ended Berringer's night.

That play paved the way for Frazier to be re-inserted in the game, leading to Osborne's first national championship. It was an unfortunate play for Brook, but an underrated important turning point for the team.
I had to leave the room and go upstairs to watch it by myself. Knew we could do it but time was getting short. Both quarterbacks made a mistake. Glad I was young enough to tolerate high blood pressure...lol.

This is an incredibly interesting choice and something to ponder in regard to the trajectory of that game. One could argue scoring there could have led to NU victory too with Brooks or that TO inserts TF regardless of that particular play. Lots of ways to go there. There are probably dozens of plays to choose from in that game alone (or any of the huge close games NU has had---see Game of the Century).
Yeppers. And we did. Scary tho.

Maybe not underrated plays but I remember a couple that could have changed the Huskers perception in college football under Pelini.

Game against South Carolina in the Capital One bowl I believe. Driving for a touchdown before half that would have given a 10 point lead. Instead Ameer fumbles and a couple plays and a hail Mary later they are behind 14-10. End up losing 30-13.

Next season, I think, against Georgia in the same bowl. Going toe to toe with an SEC heavyweight tied at 28. Ameer fumbles around midfield and the house collapses. Instead of taking the lead they give up a big play or two and end up losing 45-31.

Win one or both of these and maybe the Huskers get over the hump in one of those seasons. Was the epitome of the Pelini years. Oh so close.

Here's the first one I thought of. '97 Mizzou. I don't even remember if it was 3rd or 4th qtr (probably 4th). Kenny Cheatam (I think) makes an acrobatic catch, barely in bounds, to extend a drive that we needed to score.

Really there were probably several plays in that game that qualify. I'll have to watch it again because the entire 2nd half was incredible. It was almost as if Someone was looking down saying, "We need Tom to win this one."

First one I thought of. Ballsy call by Glen Mason not going for the tie - not quite the same stakes as Osborne vs Miami in the 83 season, but a tie would've basically been a W for KU, and possibly derailed the shot at an NC for NU.
For Christmas that year, Osborne sent Mason a gift of a tie. The note said something the along the lines of "since you didn't get one (a tie) in November"

Here's the first one I thought of. '97 Mizzou. I don't even remember if it was 3rd or 4th qtr (probably 4th). Kenny Cheatam (I think) makes an acrobatic catch, barely in bounds, to extend a drive that we needed to score.

Really there were probably several plays in that game that qualify. I'll have to watch it again because the entire 2nd half was incredible. It was almost as if Someone was looking down saying, "We need Tom to win this one."
Nice!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back