• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska opting out of Oklahoma game? UPDATE: Moos makes statement that they explored other options but are looking forward to playing OU

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's extremely relevant, and i'm not sure I want to go into explaining why when there's an easier explanation staring you in the face that you are refusing to acknowledge.

Wisconsin's (or anyone else's finances) have nothing to do with Nebraska's. That's why they aren''t relevant. I don't care about optics when the athletic department has had layoffs, budget cuts, and furloughs. They need to make up lost revenue somewhere, and maybe they took another financial hit that we don't know about. For years, we have heard that NU needs to have 7 home games a year most years in order to be financially stable. Well, they only have 6 in 2021, and they had zero with fans last year.

As a Nebraska fan and recent OU grad, I was really looking forward to this game in Norman regardless of the outcome. Sigh.

1615567580244.png

Wisconsin's (or anyone else's finances) have nothing to do with Nebraska's. That's why they aren''t relevant. I don't care about optics when the athletic department has had layoffs, budget cuts, and furloughs. They need to make up lost revenue somewhere, and maybe they took another financial hit that we don't know about. For years, we have heard that NU needs to have 7 home games a year most years in order to be financially stable. Well, they only have 6 in 2021, and they had zero with fans last year.
I get your point, but we do have 7 home games this year

I get your point, but we do have 7 home games this year

Yes, I just noticed that. Maybe they need 8. All I'm saying is the financial hit from Covid was catastrophic for NU, just as it was for everyone else. But I don't care about everyone else, I only care about NU. If they saw the numbers and need to make up more revenue, or else there will be layoffs and furloughs again, then I hope they'll do whatever they have to do, optics be damned.

As i've said before, if other teams start canceling their away non-conference games i'm fine with our decision and happy we were in front of this. But if we are the only team in the country that does this due to "finances" (like we currently are), then it doesn't pass the smell test.

These are sunk costs. It's already done. They took on zero debt and used the "rainy day fund" to make up the 2020 shortfall. They can't go back in time and uncut the budget or "unforlough" employees.

Even if Nebraska were in dire financial straights (they are not), the idea that adding a single home game in 2021 would shore things right up is absurd on its face.

6 wins. That's the primary goal of 2021. Moos and Frost want to show forward progress. I get it. Trade a near-certain loss for a near-certain win.

As i've said before, if other teams start canceling their away non-conference games i'm fine with our decision and happy we were in front of this. But if we are the only team in the country that does this due to "finances" (like we currently are), then it doesn't pass the smell test.

People getting furloughed and/or laid off probably don't care about a smell test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back