• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

When was the last time you enjoyed a Husker football season?

I enjoyed the fact that there was a season this year. I get excited for every game and by game time I have usually convinced myself that the Huskers will win regardless of the opponent. Unfortunately, there have been more disappointments than not over the last several years. However, that doesn't erase those moments of joy, confidence, and anticipation leading up to each game!

Honestly enjoy/appreciate them all. Certainly the early 70's & 90's were a pinnacle in terms of National Championships, the 80's & triplets were amazing. Since moving out of state & especially since TO retired, I've honestly tried to be less emotionally invested, we still travel to many games each year & plan around game schedules as DONU is, and will always be, our team, our state, our pride & joy.

I have enjoyed every season including the season we had only one win. At the core of the fan base there are people who love Nebraska football win or lose. On the fringes of the fan base we find different sorts of people.

I have loved many games but as far as a season, been a spell. I tell myself to trust the process, believe all involved want what we as fans want and are working hard behind the scenes to make it happen. I will just have to wait patiently. Did I mention God does not give patience- he teaches it. I'm currently in school apparently ;)

I think you get excited for every single season. You are hopeful to not be let down, something none of us like. Every year, you hope, this year will be different!

Agree.

And for me, every season begins with hope and optimism.

I think I have to separate hope from optimism.

I do go into every season with hope -- but not necessarily optimism. Granted, I know it's normal for most fans of most teams to spend the offseason imagining next season will be better. That's being a sports fan. But I gave up on the optimism part long ago. Still have hope. I understand neither hope nor optimism will have any impact on the play on the field. :)

Also, with age, I've grown to not allow things in life that I have zero control over to impact my emotions negatively. Now, that doesn't mean I won't have negative opinions -- but Nebraska football hasn't made me miserable for many, many years. And when it did -- it was because I was young -- and a painful loss (i.e. '84 Orange Bowl) ruined me for days. That just doesn't happen any more.

I really don't believe anyone here doesn't enjoy every Nebraska football season -- even the bad ones. Otherwise, there would be no reason to watch every game to the very end. We all keep coming back for more -- no matter how bad (or good) it is. I wouldn't do so if I didn't enjoy it. I also wouldn't be on this forum almost every day if I didn't enjoy it.

Do people need to be happy to enjoy something? I don't think so. A lot of us watch horror movies, or crime documentaries, or movies that make us tear up -- not necessarily happy at all, but we still enjoy it.

Last edited:

Riley’s second year...2016...Great start...then last second loss to Wiscy and it just went downhill....but still 9-4 with absolute chances to be 10-3.

Then I watched that disaster of a third year with Coach Riley trying to stick square pegs in round holes and a touted transfer quarterback make horrible decisions all year. That pick six on the goal line vs Northern Illinois.....typical....

We just have not really recovered since 2016.....

In the last three years we have lost more one score games than any FCS team in the country. I think the odds are with us that we are going to start turning that around!

Last edited:
I have the football version of battered wife syndrome. I get excited for every game, only for our beloved team to slap me around for three hours each weekend. Then for the next week I make excuses for why they were so mean to me. Yet, by the next game, I love them again, hope renewed, and just as excited as the previous week.

Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

My enthusiasm for football in general has been waning for quite a while now. I'm sure part of it is the performance of the Huskers on the field but it definitely isn't all of it. I must be getting old...

I was really down when we were in danger of not having a 2020 football season at all. I was ecstatic when the decision was made to have a condensed season, because I figured any Husker football was better than no Husker football.

I certainly get frustrated at times during games, but I truly enjoy each season for different reasons. Some are clearly better than others, of course, but I get the feeling that some fans haven't really enjoyed Husker football in a LONG time.

When was the last time you truly enjoyed a Husker season?
We enjoy every season getting together with Central Fla Husker Club.
Butt my BUCS and huskerplayers winning the super bowl was awesome tOOOO.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back