• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

When was the last time you enjoyed a Husker football season?

huskrthill

Leading horses to water since 2009
10 Year Member
I was really down when we were in danger of not having a 2020 football season at all. I was ecstatic when the decision was made to have a condensed season, because I figured any Husker football was better than no Husker football.

I certainly get frustrated at times during games, but I truly enjoy each season for different reasons. Some are clearly better than others, of course, but I get the feeling that some fans haven't really enjoyed Husker football in a LONG time.

When was the last time you truly enjoyed a Husker season?

Like you said, they're not all beer and skittles and I'm not grading one against the other. I like Husker football. I enjoy Husker football. I'd rather they win 'em all, but that's not in the cards very frequently.

They are more enjoyable when we win, that's for sure. That's coming pretty quickly.

For me, it has been a while, not because I only care about winning, but because the play is mind numbingly bad at times. I can't stand bad play.. be it stupid penalties or a player falling over before the ball is snapped.

I would say the last season would probably be under Bo, but at the same time, towards the end, his anger issues were taking away from the game... for me, anyway.

Since the time I was even able to understand football I was listening to games with my dad. Fast forward to after high school and of the guys I hung with I was usually the only one that would not miss a game. Back then, most games were still on the radio.

For me, it has been a while, not because I only care about winning, but because the play is mind numbingly bad at times. I can't stand bad play.. be it stupid penalties or a player falling over before the ball is snapped.

I would say the last season would probably be under Bo, but at the same time, towards the end, his anger issues were taking away from the game... for me, anyway.

Since the time I was even able to understand football I was listening to games with my dad. Fast forward to after high school and of the guys I hung with I was usually the only one that would not miss a game. Back then, most games were still on the radio.
If we’re judging off the last year I really got excited it was 2009! Suh and that defense had us competing on a National stage. Since then not as much.

Just to be clear, this doesn't necessarily need to be a binary answer. While I've always enjoyed Husker football, the level of enjoyment has waxed and waned throughout the years. I wasn't around in the early 70s, but I obviously enjoyed the mid-90s quite a bit.

I just get the feeling from many posters that they don't enjoy the game very much anymore.

I get excited every year, even under Riley. I always hope for a miracle. They last time I was actually excited would have been during the Pelini Era before we started getting blown out. Most of the games were at least close until that 1 game... I remained hopeful but new laying an egg was entirely possible, when before I never saw it coming.

I’ll have to say 2011 and 2012 right up until Steinkuhler’s injury. Beat Wisconsin, blown out by tOSU, then win 6 straight hard-fought, must-win games to make it into the championship game...only to lose our anchor DT and get blown out, which sets in motion Perlman’s Endgame to exact revenge for 2011 A&M and erase Osborne’s legacy. Tapegate. Eichorst. Riley. post-Riley apocalypse.

I think that‘s about when the fun ended in hindsight. Right when Baker’s ACL snapped. It’s been a contentious, brutal, divisive, angry disheartening slog since then without much winning. I haven’t truly enjoyed a full season since then, either because of results, “fan” stupidity, administrative incompetence, coaching incompetence, general incompetence, apathy, COVID, or fill in the freaking blank.

Just to be clear, this doesn't necessarily need to be a binary answer. While I've always enjoyed Husker football, the level of enjoyment has waxed and waned throughout the years. I wasn't around in the early 70s, but I obviously enjoyed the mid-90s quite a bit.

I just get the feeling from many posters that they don't enjoy the game very much anymore.

We have multiple different types of fans, and I think for several group the team either wins or they're dissatisfied and it bleeds into their everyday lives. A loss or a losing season is taken as a personal affront. Like they've somehow been wronged.

Hey, I love winning. Hate losing. I'll certainly be happier with the outcomes when we start winning again.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back