• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Least watched title game in 23 years

Fair point. You can add Oregon and USC to the list. You might see a G5 once every 4 years. In most years, the at-large teams will be from the SEC and Notre Dame as long as they can win 10 games.

8 teams makes it slightly more interesting. It doesn't help much with the issue of talent disparity though. The top 35 or so players - the dudes who are a coin flip to play in the NFL - will all still want to go to the dozen or so schools who have high probabilities of making the playoffs.

I have no idea how to fix that, or if it most folks even agree it needs fixing.

The only way I can see to "fix" it is to reduce scholarships at the P5 schools. I'm not entirely sure this would work, but at least in theory fewer scholarships would force 4 and 5 star kids to more schools simply because Alabama, tOSU and Clemson don't have a scholarship for them.

The only way I can see to "fix" it is to reduce scholarships at the P5 schools. I'm not entirely sure this would work, but at least in theory fewer scholarships would force 4 and 5 star kids to more schools simply because Alabama, tOSU and Clemson don't have a scholarship for them.

It's probably not fixable. The playoff is going to continue sucking up all the oxygen and the combination of education+sports+government (Title IX) is a complete quagmire.

As a Nebraska fan, I'm girding my loins for the distinct possibility that the most exciting thing that can happen is beating Iowa.

It IS fixable...

it just needs to go to a 16 team system like FCS does....

And this year showed playing into December CAN easily be accomplished

first round (16 teams) after Conference Championships 2nd week in Dec

2nd Round (8 teams) week before Xmas

3rd Round (4 Teams) traditional bowl week

4th Round National Championship game....normal timeframe

Entire process adds a grand total of 12 games to the entire NCAA season Nationwide.

Does not negatively affect the traditional bowl season and participation by other teams

Spreads the participation ability and adds to excitement level. Entices more of the high caliber players to other schools

Only 7 teams would play a possible 15 game schedule and another 7 Teams would play a ”Possible” 16 Game schedule (assuming the losers in round 1 and 2 still go to a traditional bowl)

only two teams in the country would play a 17 game schedule.

If that’s too many games, shrink nationwide schedule by one game...the late August game....

It IS fixable...

it just needs to go to a 16 team system like FCS does....

And this year showed playing into December CAN easily be accomplished

first round (16 teams) after Conference Championships 2nd week in Dec

2nd Round (8 teams) week before Xmas

3rd Round (4 Teams) traditional bowl week

4th Round National Championship game....normal timeframe

Entire process adds a grand total of 12 games to the entire NCAA season Nationwide.

Does not negatively affect the traditional bowl season and participation by other teams

Spreads the participation ability and adds to excitement level. Entices more of the high caliber players to other schools

Only 7 teams would play a possible 15 game schedule and another 7 Teams would play a ”Possible” 16 Game schedule (assuming the losers in round 1 and 2 still go to a traditional bowl)

only two teams in the country would play a 17 game schedule.

If that’s too many games, shrink nationwide schedule by one game...the late August game....

After the SEC get's their auto bids, how are the other 2 teams selected for this 16 team playoff :)

Last edited:
I really think if you want to even it out you need to do 2 things.
1. Unless the player opts out Scholarships count for 4 years. If the player fails to pass classes and flunks out of school then you eat that Schollie for how ever many years up to 4 they have left.
2. With the exception of years like this players should be limited to 1 transfer per their career. (Excluding JUCO then back up.) Hardships for family issues could still be considered but not guaranteed.

I really think if you want to even it out you need to do 2 things.
1. Unless the player opts out Scholarships count for 4 years. If the player fails to pass classes and flunks out of school then you eat that Schollie for how ever many years up to 4 they have left.
2. With the exception of years like this players should be limited to 1 transfer per their career. (Excluding JUCO then back up.) Hardships for family issues could still be considered but not guaranteed.

#2 is likely going to occur this month. The NCAA is scheduled to vote on a proposal that would allow a kid to transfer once without penalty.

The other thing I think they could do to build some fairness and equity into the system is an almost “Draft Like” system where teams are totally limited to the amount of 5 and 4 star players they can recruit per year.

say 3, 5 star and 4 ,4 star....something like that per FCS team yearly.

Players’s rights groups might have a conniption fit... but this does not prevent them from plying their trade at a school. Simply spreads the talent pool and forces teams to be VERY careful who they try to get.

The “star rating” would be a compilation of all of the available recruiting systems. Set by an NCAA regulation.

transfers later do NOT add to the capability to bring in another of that category....or injury or discipline or acadenic eligibility..or move to the NFL.

THEN we see who can really coach!

What schools would likely oppose this?
Alabama
Ohio State
Clemson
Notre Dame (maybe)
Texas
Georgia
Florida
Texas A&M (maybe)
Michigan (maybe)
Oklahoma
probably a couple others

But the entire rest of FBS college football (like 120 schools) would endorse it heartily!...including us!

Last edited:

i think there are a few factors here.

Bama being in the game is probably the biggest one. To some extent even OSU. People are just tired of it. You see this behavior from fans in other sports, they just ignore it when they already know the likely outcome.

Social justice splattered all over everything on and off the field. like it or not, this does have an impact on viewership. (please don't make this political fight, its just a analysis of viewership patterns).

Cable cutters. this is becoming a bigger and bigger thing, combine it with the pandemic and some of those folks that would go to a bar to watch the game and you lose some amount of viewers. 6.6 million people dropped cable tv in 2020, a 7.5% drop in cable subscribers. combine that with streaming services being launched and content providers only releasing new content on the streaming platform and not cable tv, ppl are saying why get cable at all. (note, im one of those ppl, i see my cable bill and ask myself what does this give me?, answer is very little)

Note: for anyone interested, history channel releases full episodes of some of their programs every day on youtube for free. their full episodes playlist currently has 894 videos in it.
Your use of the term"splattered" with regard to social justice gives away your bias.

Lets put it another way. Comparing the unequal talent hoarded by the 6 or 7 (take your pick) top college programs to the NFL system. Even with equalizing talent fans were tired of the Pats being in so many SB's and yes it was affecting ratings. It was great for Pats fans (like me) but not so good for most of the other teams/fans in the NFL. However it was a lot of factors contributing to the Pats dominance not talent alone.

I submit Bama and a few other programs usually have such a huge talent advantage it's impossible for most teams to effectively compete with them. Those lessor teams are really beat before taking the field. That's not true in the NFL because on any given Sunday division leaders are beaten by so called lessor teams. There's only a very marginal talent gap between most NFL teams as opposed to what's happened in college football imo. Even the BEST NFL teams hardly ever go undefeated unlike what happens with college teams. The last NFL team to go undefeated and win the SB was Dolphins 48 years ago in 1972! Let that sink in as opposed to college ball. As a matter of fact the Dolphins are the ONLY NFL team to have ever accomplished that feat.

Bottom line I believe programs like Bama are destroying college football and it's only getting worse with the portal. I had to turn off the sound during the Bama-OSU as I was getting nauseous listen to the non stop gushing about Little Nick and Bama! I'm not the only college football fan absolutely worn out with seeing mostly the same teams year after year playing in the NC! It does reach the point where many fans simply no longer care to watch it. We have so called experts that make big money running college football and those people had better figure out how to start making it a lot more competive imo. If not there's going to less viewers each year.
Many experts are already picking Bama, Clemson, OSU and OK to make this year playoffs! :Puke:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back