• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Least watched title game in 23 years

Last edited:

ESPN has screwed up the CFP on so many levels. First it was the insane idea of having the semifinal games on NYE when it was obvious that was going to be a ratings disaster. At least they admitted to that mistake and fixed the scheduling issue. Now ESPN needs to admit that having the championship game on a Monday night isn't a great idea either. I get why they play the game on a Monday night, a much better night to attract the casual fan and avoiding NFL playoffs, but it's obvious the casual fan isn't tuning in. Move the game to Friday night, and put it on ABC. The current TV contract runs out in 2025. Hopefully by then someone will have figured out how to not screw this thing up anymore.

Actually, I take back what I said about fixing the NYE semifinal game issue. I thought I had read the schedule would be fixed so the semifinals wouldn't be played on NYE, but they will be for the 2021 and 2022 seasons. Unbelievably stupid. It's almost comical how badly this whole endeavor has been handled.

Late starting time, on a Monday and throw in it was not competive game made me shut it off at half-time. I just don't understand why have the NC game on a Monday. NFL sure as heck wouldn't have the Super Bowl on a Monday night.

Same teams year after year, horrible schedule, starts to late. College football is in a bad place right now as well as basketball. They need to make some changes but I suspect they wont until the NCAA goes away and the P5’s are in a league by themselves and taking all the money.

I never thought I'd say this, but the playoff system sucks. Yes, maybe the playoff doesn't influence whether fans of Nevada watch the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, but it definitely influences where the top recruits want to play.

53% of 5-star recruits get drafted. It's 20% for 4-stars and 6% for 3-stars. With just a glance at the Rivals 250 over the past few years, it's more than obvious that 'Bama is dominating the market for 5-stars and that an overwhelming majority are signing with one of the 8 programs that have made the playoffs at least twice since inception.

The result is that Alabama is bordering on an NFL team and there is wide disparity between OSU, Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, LSU, ND and everyone else. Texas, Texas A&M and Florida are the only programs with a fighting chance to break into that second tier. Everyone else is basically playing for the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

I also don't think expanding to 8 teams changes that much. Over a 10 year period, I'd expect 70 of the 80 playoff spots to come from the list of teams above.

I never thought I'd say this, but the playoff system sucks. Yes, maybe the playoff doesn't influence whether fans of Nevada watch the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, but it definitely influences where the top recruits want to play.

53% of 5-star recruits get drafted. It's 20% for 4-stars and 6% for 3-stars. With just a glance at the Rivals 250 over the past few years, it's more than obvious that 'Bama is dominating the market for 5-stars and that an overwhelming majority are signing with one of the 8 programs that have made the playoffs at least twice since inception.

The result is that Alabama is bordering on an NFL team and there is wide disparity between OSU, Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, LSU, ND and everyone else. Texas, Texas A&M and Florida are the only programs with a fighting chance to break into that second tier. Everyone else is basically playing for the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

I also don't think expanding to 8 teams changes that much. Over a 10 year period, I'd expect 70 of the 80 playoff spots to come from the list of teams above.

Unless they put rules in place, all an 8 team playoff will do is give the SEC/Big 10/Big 12 a second team in the playoff. So instead of Bama, Clemson, OSU, and OU every year, you'll have those 4 plus UGA, Penn St, Texas, and ND. Sounds fantastic.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back